2008 Vice-Presidential Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know where you find all this optimism regarding the Democratic Senate.

I would expect them to be inept with 70 votes at this point. They are useless, they've shown that they are useless. The leadership has been absolutely terrible.

So I guess a change ain't coming.

turnout

I don't think Democrats have ever had the young vote in doubt, it's locked up for them. The holy grail has always been reversing their pitiful turnout. Texting not only is more relevant then old farts hosting cable news with breaking reports about the VP pick, it is a potent weapon in giving the Obama campaign the phone numbers of devoted supporters. They can then call in October/November and organize/rally these voters for GOTV operations (or sign up their young friends to vote). pretty brilliant really.

How devoted are these supporters if they have to be called, texted, and coddled just to get them to vote for him?

This brilliant idea is being undone by the "bart and lisa simpson" antics that are part and parcel of the silliness that this concept invites.

PrankCalls.gif

and of course,
yesterday we had the great example the Obama campaign set.

Text hoaxes plague Obama VP plan

By: Carrie Budoff Brown
August 21, 2008 11:35 PM EST

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – By the time Barack Obama is ready to announce his vice presidential pick, will anyone believe him?

In recent days, as speculation and anticipation has mounted, so too have phony text messages declaring Obama’s supposed running mate – from Evan Bayh and Hillary Rodham Clinton to Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps.

It’s a cruel twist in a prolonged game of guessing that has put political junkies and Democratic supporters on edge since the campaign announced last week that it would disclose Obama’s choice through text messaging, which is expected to happen by Saturday.

In the absence of real information, pranksters have filled the gap with guidance from the website Wonkette – and maybe Howard Stern, too.

“There is incredible enthusiasm for Barack Obama’s vice presidential announcement and unfortunately some people have used that enthusiasm and sent out hoaxes," said Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki, who received one herself. “We can assure our supporters these texts did not come from the campaign and their data is secure. Everyone can also rest easy that despite their popularity, Mickey Mouse and Michael Phelps are not on the short list at this time.”

A Manhattan woman got excited when she received a message announcing Hillary Rodham Clinton, but soon realized it was a joke she saw nothing more about the choice on the Internet.

There also were reports of John Kerry, Walter Mondale and even Eliot Spitzer.

On Wednesday morning, Richmond lawyer Anne Leigh Kerr passed along bad information to political types after receiving a text message from an unknown number that, in formal language, announced that Obama selected Gov. Tim Kaine.

“Now, even if Tim Kaine himself tells me he's VP, I think I'll keep my mouth shut,” Kerr told Politico.

The website Wonkette might have something to do with the proliferation of hoax messages. At 2:07 p.m. Wednesday, managing editor Ken Layne posted a step-by-step manual from a reader under the headline: “Freak Out Your Friends With Fake Obama VP TXT.”

“We are proud to help cause confusion and excitement during this terrible boring week of no news at all,” Layne wrote in an email to Politico. “But we can't really take too much credit for it – apparently one of our readers listens to Howard Stern (which is still on the radio?) and heard of the veep TXT hoax, and figured out an easy way to do it through Verizon's TXT website.”

Layne said he has personally sent about 50 messages announcing Mondale.

“So many of my so-called friends have sent hoax (texts) to me now,” he added, “that I'll probably end up ignoring the real one.”

Someone said the 'text' concept was brilliant.

I have been bitching for days about the choice to "text" this V P selection

also, the coyness and smugness? of the Obama people does not sit right with me, this is not something as trivial as an American Idol choice

the kidding, tauting yesterday by the Obama people seem odd, too

now we have hoax announcements, flying all over :shrug:
can the Obama people even legitimately complain about this?

would you like to get your HIV results in a text?

Obama using text for announcing rallys, campaigning, asking for donations, sure. A good medium for things like that.

Do you think he should text Supreme Court appointments?

That text should only be used for trivial things, where an error or hoax would not be of any real consequence.

Of course there are times when a better method of communication may not be available and texting would be useful.

Again, do you think Obama should announce Supreme Court choices via text?

How devoted are these supporters if they have to be called, texted, and coddled just to get them to vote for him?

Try reading my post next time. I said devoted supporters are being rewarded for registering their phone numbers with Obama HQ with early news of the VP pick. The Obama camp then calls these people in October/November and tells them how they can help with get out the vote/phone bank/voter registration drives. These operations all target uncertain voters.

Normally all this endgame stuff costs money and time to hire volunteers. But with this plan the Obama campaign knows how to contact their most motivated supporters, who will do it for The Cause (free).

Stamping your feet about the intolerable smugness of one technology while praising another technology is bizarre. It's just means to an end.

That text should only be used for trivial things, where an error or hoax would not be of any real consequence.

Of course there are times when a better method of communication may not be available and texting would be useful.

Again, do you think Obama should announce Supreme Court choices via text?

It doesn't matter the means...

You made a shit analogy of the personal vs the public...

I'm sorry Deep but you are sinking fast...

Try reading my post next time. I said devoted supporters are being rewarded for registering their phone numbers with Obama HQ with early news of the VP pick. The Obama camp then calls these people in October/November and tells them how they can help with get out the vote/phone bank/voter registration drives. These operations all target uncertain voters.

Normally all this endgame stuff costs money and time to hire volunteers. But with this plan the Obama campaign knows how to contact their most motivated supporters, who will do it for The Cause (free).

Stamping your feet about the intolerable smugness of one technology while praising another technology is bizarre. It's just means to an end.

I did read your post

and you and I can go back and forth on this
I am not stamping my feet
btw, I did make a donation to Obama last Saturday
(A good friend had a birthday and instead of gifts she requested donations in her name to PETA or Obama)

I do think it is? ok, brilliant the way the Obama people have used technology all through his campaign, it most likely is the difference that has led to his success. I did write:
Obama using text for announcing rallys, campaigning, asking for donations, sure. A good medium for things like that.

I have to believe the devoted supporters would have no problem signing up at Obama HQ, to be the first to get annoucements about:
when Obama will be coming to your state,
be first to get Obama policy statements
be first to know when Obama will be on T V, etc.

Do you think Obama should text his Supreme Court appointments?

(A good friend had a birthday and instead of gifts she requested donations in her name to PETA or Obama)
PETA vs. Obama? You made a good call. :wink:

I have to believe the devoted supporters would have no problem signing up at Obama HQ, to be the first to get annoucements about:
when Obama will be coming to your state,
be first to get Obama policy statements
be first to know when Obama will be on T V, etc.

Do you think Obama should text his Supreme Court appointments?
TV/policy statements aren't very sexy.

The VP selection is (or I guess, was) a mostly ceremonial thing with a bunch of fluffy meaning. I like how the Obama camp has taken advantage of and banked that interest for later use without much cost and a whole lot of gain.

No, he shouldn't text his appointment....HIV and the Supreme Court pick would directly and indirectly affect my life...whether Obama picks Biden, Bayh, or Sebelius? Not so much. I don't think Reagan, Bush I or Clinton picking different VPs would have changed their administration much. Although again post Cheney the ground rules might have changed a bit. I hope they haven't. Just being a VP finalist means you're vetted and not a radical so in the unfortunate POTUS death contingency I don't think any of the selections would be a bad choice. Which means the only drama left in VP selection is political posturing.

Oh yeah I just feel like saying that I don't like Tim Kaine for VP. Something about his head, and haircut, and sketchy governor record. But mostly his haircut.

The new Hot Leak is that Romney is McCain's VP choice.

Chet Edwards?
Posted: 12:48 PM ET
Obama vetted Chet Edwards for the VP spot.
Obama vetted Chet Edwards for the VP spot.

(CNN) — Texas Rep. Chet Edwards confirms to CNN Barack Obama's presidential campaign has vetted him for the No. 2. spot on the Democratic presidential ticket.

Edwards also told CNN Obama has not spoken to him in recent days about his VP choice.

:lol:

Dear God, let it be this guy. Another guy nobody has ever heard of, a state senator and a U.S. congressman with no foreign policy experience. Sounds familiar... :hmm:

And don't tell me Obama thinks he can pick up Texas by adding this guy.

BREAKING FROM AP: Congressman Chet Edwards, the Texas Democrat who represents President George W. Bush's district, is a "finalist" in the veepstakes, according to an Associated Press report.

"Democratic officials say that Edwards was one of the few Democrats whose background was checked by Obama's campaign, and he was a finalist for the job."

Edwards has been favored by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi as a vice presidential candidate, and his conservative record and background on veterans' issues could help Obama fill out his ticket.

AP says Obama’s choice is imminent – “hours away.”

On the day before Barack Obama is expected to appear with his running mate, is the McCain camp leaking?

Time’s Mark Halperin claims to have sources saying it’s going to be Mitt.

“2 Republican sources say McCain has apparently settled on Romney as his pick, but no offer has been made.”

BREAKING FROM AP: Congressman Chet Edwards, the Texas Democrat who represents President George W. Bush's district, is a "finalist" in the veepstakes, according to an Associated Press report.

"Democratic officials say that Edwards was one of the few Democrats whose background was checked by Obama's campaign, and he was a finalist for the job."

RLY

u get txt ?

Chet Edwards would be an interesting pick.

It would keep the focus on Obama, the top of the ticket.

In 2000, the RNC realized they could not win with W alone,
so they went for the 'gravitas', and chose Cheney
to take some of the focus off of the inexperienced W.

You should have teased us a little bit

You should have said: 'The name begins with B'

And then I would have responded

Is it Barbara Bush????

Back
Top Bottom