Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:21 AM
2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate

Discuss.

Depending on the outcome, perhaps future historians will refer to it as 'The Slaughter At St. Louis'.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Politics as bloodsport is never pleasant.

Palin at this stage I would see as victim in the whole thing. Just another victim of forces she never understood, forces bigger than her, bigger than anyone. The winds of political change, without wanting to be corny about it.

The task of destroying Palin's career falls to Biden. Biden doesn't strike me a political hatchet man. He probably won't enjoy the task. Hillary probably would. She's nasty like that. But neither Biden nor Palin are particularly to blame for the state America finds itself in. Doesn't seem very fair, does it?

That evil c*** Cheney should be made to stand again, and (verbally) lacerated for hours on end.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
That evil c*** Cheney should be made to stand again, and (verbally) lacerated for hours on end.

That would be awesome. We should have a fantasy debate matchup thread. I’d go with Cheney v Clinton (either of them), or Bush v Clinton (either of them), or Bush v Obama as my Top 3. Wait! Clinton v Clinton could be pretty good too.

As for this one, don’t forget that it’s a completely different format to the Presidential debate and there will be virtually no interest or focus in the hardcore details of anything either of them say (unless it’s wildly stupid). The McCain team have made sure it’s very narrow, barely a debate, more a Q&A. Check out some of the video out there of Palin in various past Alaskan debates. She’ll be good in this format. The format doesn’t allow for much of a challenge to anything she says, she’ll be essentially just given a topic and 2 minutes to say whatever she wants. If she’s calm and cool, she’ll just spend each allotted 2 minutes spitting out base Republican talking points (not necessarily related to the question at all) mixed with some cutesy Hockey Mum shit and cruise through it.

All she has to do is not say something spectacularly stupid or just ramble nonsense as per her interviews. She will say nothing of interest. Give no indication of any understanding of anything. Give no detailed answers directly related to any remotely specific questions. That will be Biden, not her. That, sadly, doesn’t matter. She’ll knock it out of the park if she simply doesn’t f*ck up and plays it up to that moronic Republican base well. If she does that and Biden attacks her in the process, or f*cks up himself, she’ll absolutely kill it.

Be warned. You will spend the whole night doing this: but that doesn't matter. Remember the Bush/Gore debates? That x 100.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
That would be awesome. We should have a fantasy debate matchup thread.
I edited my post. It occurs to me that it isn't right to jest about anyone, even Cheney, being tortured. I pat myself on the back for having a moral conscience.

That's the new standard the neo-cons have given the world. If you don't openly approve of torture, you're a great human being (except you might be a bit suspect on the combating terra thing.) And, if you do, then, well, you're still a great human being, and what's more, you're right on board with the combating terra thing.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Discuss.

Depending on the outcome, perhaps future historians will refer to it as 'The Slaughter At St. Louis'.
it may be referred to as:

"Breakthrough: The Age of Obama” debate.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
it may be referred to as:

"Breakthrough: The Age of Obama” debate.

The Gotcha Moderation Debate

Especially if she gets a question about substance!

Actually, it'll be more entertaining if it's the

Miss South Carolina Teen USA v. Joe Biden Debate

YouTube - Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Prediction:

Palin is a dufus at the debate to those viewers with brains, but gets by for the rest of America on spewing useless, abstract gobbledygook. McCain gets a bump of 2-3 points.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - Sarah Palin can't name one Supreme Court case

Grim.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Especially if she gets a question about substance!
That's my point, it doesn't matter.

The debate isn’t constructed in a way that will force her to give any answers of substance, nor will she receive any challenges to meaningless waffle. In her favour is that no-one will care anyway, the whole thing will be about personality contrasts and half the country just waiting for her to f*ck it all up. She likely won’t simply because detail and challenge will be almost completely ruled out from the get go. She’ll get asked a detailed question about the financial crisis that should require a thoughtful, detailed response, and she'll start talking about understanding how tough it is to be a working mum for 2 minutes and that will be it for pretty much the whole time.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I think she'll come into this debate armed with one liners and zingers and sentences flowing from the proposition "As a haaaackey Mom....." This could actually be to her advantage since that's what the news like to replay at night. The two things that I think are working against her the most are the fact that you're given substantial time (90 sec +) to answer a question and she is clearly prone to inane rambling. I don't think she can control herself for an hour and a half. Second, you have to ask yourself how much she has psyched herself out now. Psychology is a huge thing and if she's been hearing that the national media thinks she's a dumbass and she's plummeting in the polls, she may have bought into it enough to affect her mentally.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Psychology is a huge thing and if she's been hearing that the national media thinks she's a dumbass and she's plummeting in the polls, she may have bought into it enough to affect her mentally.
That would require reading a newspaper.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That's my point, it doesn't matter.

The debate isn’t constructed in a way that will force her to give any answers of substance, nor will she receive any challenges to meaningless waffle. In her favour is that no-one will care anyway, the whole thing will be about personality contrasts and half the country just waiting for her to f*ck it all up. She likely won’t simply because detail and challenge will be almost completely ruled out from the get go. She’ll get asked a detailed question about the financial crisis that should require a thoughtful, detailed response, and she'll start talking about understanding how tough it is to be a working mum for 2 minutes and that will be it for pretty much the whole time.
And the people she was picked to appeal to will gobble it up and think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am hoping that everyone else will actually listen to her and think "huh. That didn't make any sense at all", but I'm not counting on it.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

With a bit of luck:

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
With a bit of luck: