2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ramble irrelevantly without substance! :happy:

Seriously, I can't see how anybody could even call that debate close. Biden had substance and knowledge. Palin was, most of the time, clueless. That was nothing short of a mismatch.

It's different if you're not American, honestly.

But it isn't irrelevant that the world outside America seems to strongly favor Obama.

See, we "fundamentally disagree" :wink: on this. It's pretty lame to say that she "won" simply because she beat the expectation that she'd sound like a moron.

I don't vote in your election.

It is lame that your country would have someone running for office that can 'win' a debate by not making herself look like an idiot.

But i'm sure you feel the same way!:wink:

Ramble irrelevantly without substance! :happy:

Seriously, I can't see how anybody could even call that debate close. Biden had substance and knowledge. Palin was, most of the time, clueless. That was nothing short of a mismatch.

Holy shit. Biden whooped her.

I predict the TV networks are going to be afraid to admit how much of a slaughter this debate was.

First third: Even
Second third: Slight Biden Advantage
Final Third: Strong Biden Advantage

My friend and HUGE Obama supporter scored it in five parts...

1. Palin
2. Biden
3. Even (Tie)
4. Biden (almost tie)
5. Biden

He also was a little shocked (as was I) that this was NOT the Palin of the interviews.

Biden was excellent and I was never his biggest fan. He was great.

Palin - I hope she goes back to Alaska and I never have to hear from her again. That's all I'm going to say because it is plainly obvious what we are dealing with here.

My heart tells me this election is over. And I say that knowing full well I'll have Sting quote it back ad nauseum. But it's the truth.

I think Biden was the aggressor throughout most of the debate, calling out Palin for dodging answers and such, but he attacked McCain a little too much early and referred to his credentials too much during specific sections. Palin succeeded because she could string together coherent sentences for longer than 5 minutes. When she speaks about the American people, she knows what she's talking about, but her whole "I'm not answered the question, I'm straight talking America like only a Maverick does" deal really bothers me. They both did well, I would say, but found myself supporting Biden about 95% of the time.

There can't be two Mavericks... one's gotta be Goose.

I made the mistake of watching this on MSNBC and not switching the channel immediately afterwards.

Pat Buchanan just said Palin "wiped the floor." WTF? Oh, well, it is Pat Buchanan.

He also was a little shocked (as was I) that this was NOT the Palin of the interviews.

Honestly, what's shocking about it? It's a completely different format, we already know she's done relatively well in Gubernatorial debates in the past, and she's been very heavily coached this past week. It's not surprising at all.

She performed just as I said earlier she would - adequately.

I predict the TV networks are going to be afraid to admit how much of a slaughter this debate was.

Not even close. Yes, Biden won but it was no slaughter that's for sure. My friend who works for Obama in New York and basically cannot stand Palin said he was a little shocked that she seemed to hold her own. He did add however that if it was on issues and issues alone then Palin lost bigtime (how couldn't she) but stated that it's unfortunately not always about the issues.

She was good enough, he was better.
It doesn't really matter though.

No big gaffes by her, no bullying or blowharding by him.

I doubt her perceived ineptitude is going to matter to 'feely' voters.

I think it's obvious Biden won.

That's really all that need be said.

The commentator here on SBS in Australia was actually calling the debate as close; I honestly expected an Australian network to quite happily get stuck into Palin's incompetence and ignorance. By any standard of debating, Biden utterly steamrollered her with actual knowledge and argumentation. Palin should just go home; even when she isn't humiliating herself with hilarious gaffes, she is quite clearly out of her depth and has absolutely no ability to work at such a high level of politics. That debate confirmed it.

Hey, when I speak to the American people, I wink excessively. And when questions are asked to me, I usually ignore it, and answer my own questions... it's how mavericks roll, man. You betcha that's how I roll.

Originally Posted by Harry Vest

Who wants to bet that Palin does not do a single major media interview, nor a press conference, from now on through Election Day?

Who else was sick of the An American Carol ads throughout? I don't mind that it's from a conservative standpoint, but it just looks fucking stupid. Airplane was stupid, but it was dumb humor done intelligently... doesn't look the case here.

Her favourability thingie on CNN went down every time she started grinning at the camera and winking. It's like she's tone deaf.

Watch her after Biden teared up about his wife and kids. She grins and goes into her talking point. Totally tone deaf.

Back
Top Bottom