2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mind the folksiness. What I hate is that she's so uninformed and so smug at the same time.

Well this is because in America being intelligent and curious about the world is somehow a negative characteristic to have when running for office.

And how much does Chris Farley's brother (playing a Faux Michael Moore) look like Chris Farley? Spooky.

And that always makes me a little sad, but hey, what can ya do? I tell ya what you can do... you can take the job protection umbrella... and you know... when it rears its ugly head at you just... yeah, you do it.

Her favourability thingie on CNN went down every time she started grinning at the camera and winking. It's like she's tone deaf.

Watch her after Biden teared up about his wife and kids. She grins and goes into her talking point. Totally tone deaf.

I can't wait to see the visual of this debate. I could only hear it on the computer. Visuals are important i.e. Kennedy vs Nixon

I wish there was more actual talking to each other, just like in last week's debate. It's too much talking to the camera/America instead of a conversation/debate with the other candidate.

Prediction:

McCain gets a bump of 2-3 points after this debate, but it's only temporary & goes back down once the issues take precedence again. Down even more if she does a major media interview that sucks.

Here's the thing: Of McCain-Palin, the only one who can claim any victory in this debate is Palin herself. She didn't bumble around like a buffoon--good for her. But she didn't really make a strong case for John McCain. What she did was recite the standard McCain Campaign talking points. Biden strove to point out McCain's flaws--over and over again--and argued that Obama-Biden is the solution. Palin simply argued over and over again that she and McCain are mavericks, but didn't state anything at almost any time to actually back that up.

I wish there was more actual talking to each other, just like in last week's debate. It's too much talking to the camera/America instead of a conversation/debate with the other candidate.

I agree. Why is there the difference in format?

Funny----Paul Begala on CNN just said the same thing: that Palin may have benefited, but that she didn't actually make a strong case for McCain.

The McCain camp insisted on this set up. In exchange for agreeing that there will be no sparring between the VP candidates, McCain basically agreed to a free for all in the presidential debates.

From a huge Obama supporter in New York City...and I quote...

" No major meltdowns for her - that's a disappointment for our side"

"Very spirited"

"I was hoping this would sink their ticket - the debate won't do that - McCain will have to do that himself."

The McCain camp insisted on this set up. In exchange for agreeing that there will be no sparring between the VP candidates, McCain basically agreed to a free for all in the presidential debates.

Then how come there was so much talking to the camera in the presidential debate?

(There was, wasn't there? Maybe I'm misremembering.)

Don't know what other people thought, and I don't have time to read through the thread, but I thought Biden was fantastic. He was very articulate without getting excessive, he didn't try to correct Palin on her mistakes (as the media will do that anyway), he was gracious yet unwavering, he was honest, and he was presidential.

I give Palin credit for speaking like an ordinary person at times and being down to earth. Unfortunately for her, this job is anything but ordinary. And I thought it was quite clear that she just isn't knowledgable enough to be seriously considered for a position of this magnitude.

With McCain being 72, I honestly can't understand why people would even consider the McCain/Palin ticket, regardless of their party affiliation. It's just that obvious.

And there's my monthly FYM appearance.

Then how come there was so much talking to the camera in the presidential debate?

(There was, wasn't there? Maybe I'm misremembering.)

Because it really depends on the moderator and how closely they want to stick to their own pre-determined format.

Actually I think this format helped Biden, because I don't think he could have held back from eventually losing it on her.

From a huge Obama supporter in New York City...and I quote...

" No major meltdowns for her - that's a disappointment for our side"

"Very spirited"

"I was hoping this would sink their ticket - the debate won't do that - McCain will have to do that himself."

I'm inclined to agree here, even though I thought her smugness and folkiness turned me off and possibly some independents.

Doggone it.

CNN poll:

Biden won - 51%
Palin won 36%

84% thought Palin did better than expected. Big number, but a whole 60-some% also thought Biden did better than expected.

It's different if you're not American, honestly.

But it isn't irrelevant that the world outside America seems to strongly favor Obama.

We're a few years ahead of you though. You're only *just* starting to reach the kind of Bush disapproval levels we hit (and have since dramaticaly surpassed) at least 7 years ago.

I mentioned it before but I'll say it again - Palin officially lost that debate when she ignorantly implied that Biden didn't know what it was like to raise a family. Is she unfamiliar with his story? Very strange.

Anyway, that set it up for Biden to tear up in an emotionally charged, and wonderful moment where the women's reaction in the focus group shot through the roof. And I don't know if Palin was shuffling through her notes (she looked like she was relying on the notes all debate long) or just not paying attention at all because as soon as he stopped talking, there she was grinning and flirting with the camera and reciting a talking point like a robot without a heart.

It was a really bad visual.

Well, none of the comments here in little San Francisco are a surprise tonight.

I think Palin did a good job, especially considering the beating that she has taken the past two weeks. Despite Biden's massive advantage in foreign policy experience she was able to get some good shots in that Biden could not rebut. He either avoided the point or repeated his prior response which so many people criticize Palin for doing.

I was hoping that she would nail him on the fact that he voted against removing Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991, a policy that even the French supported with ground troops, but there wasn't time to get to what was at least up to then, the most important vote of Joe Biden's career.

We should know in about 3 or 4 days the effect this debate had on the national polls and in about a week the effect on the state polls. John McCain has had a very rough two weeks primarily because of the financial crises. I think at a minimum this will stop the slide that John McCain has been experiencing in the polls. But McCain/Palin have a lot of ground to make up in order to get back in the competitive position they were in three weeks ago.

Count me in as someone extremely impressed with Biden tonight. He did an excellent job of speaking to the American people with understanding, empathy, and more importantly, substance.

Back
Top Bottom