2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #331
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Anyone else not like being referred to as "Joe six pack" ??

interesting - Sarah Palin's Lies

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #332
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I doubt Sarah Palin would have made the same mistake, that being probably the first time she'd ever even heard of Hezbollah.
That is certainly what you would like to think, but with Biden, we continue to hear about things that never happened.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Really?

What do you think of Joe Bidens words below:

I hope you didn't pay attention to the above because it is flat out WRONG!

The United States and France NEVER kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon! Biden never introduced a resolution to deploy NATO forces to Lebanon. Hezbollah was already apart of the government in Lebanon long before Bush was elected President.

Barack Obama picked Joe Biden because of his "knowledge and experience". Ironic that if Sarah Palin had made the same mistake, people in here would be foaming at the mouth, but Joe Biden makes an out of this world mistake like this, and he gets a free pass, despite the fact that he has been in the Senate for 35 years to Sarah Palin's 35 days on the campaign trail.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:32 AM
We cannot play the same "Fact vs. Fiction" game with Palin because she didn't say anything of substance.

I'd prefer the guy who says a lot and is occasionally wrong to the person who says nothing and still hasn't shown America she has any knowledge or viewpoints.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
We cannot play the same "Fact vs. Fiction" game with Palin because she didn't say anything of substance.

I'd prefer the guy who says a lot and is occasionally wrong to the person who says nothing and still hasn't shown America she has any knowledge or viewpoints.
She wants to control spending and keep taxes low. She doesn't want a timeline for Iraq so insurgents can plan an attack somewhere. She wants the counter-insurgency tactics in Iraq to be applied in Afghanistan. She wants updated regulation for the latest derivatives and to prevent companies hiding debt off of the balance sheet. She let the public know that they should think about not living above their means. She wants to increase the supply of energy to keep costs reasonable. She wants to allow the pursuit of alternative energies. She wants drilling in ANWR vs. McCain who needs convincing still. She is okay with a progression to give more rights to homosexual couples as long as the definition of marriage stays the same. She doesn't want to have presidential meetings with dictators without preconditions.

To conservatives there is substance. To liberals the above is not substance because they don't agree with it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #336
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
She wants to control spending
Spending $14.7 million on a rec center for a town with an annual budget of $20 million doesn't seem like controlled spending to me

Quote:
She doesn't want a timeline for Iraq so insurgents can plan an attack somewhere. She wants the counter-insurgency tactics in Iraq to be applied in Afghanistan. She wants updated regulation for the latest derivatives and to prevent companies hiding debt off of the balance sheet...
It's funny, but you'd think that in her years in politics prior to joining the McCain campaign she would've had the opportunity to share her opinion on these matters. She didn't. Given her relative ineptitude at actually answering direct questions in relation to those, and her reliance on tried and true McCain campaign talking points to get her through, I sincerely doubt those are her own stances and not the stances the McCain campaign has asked her to voice. You'd think if these were really her own stances she'd be able to comfortably discuss and elaborate on them beyond the talking point that's in lock step with the McCain campaign. She hasn't shown that capability yet, and so she demonstrates a lack of substance to many here and elsewhere.

And finally...
Quote:
To liberals the above is not substance because they don't agree with it.
You really need to stop making statements about what liberals think and or believe. You're hardly an expert on the matter.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #337
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Spending $14.7 million on a rec center for a town with an annual budget of $20 million doesn't seem like controlled spending to me

It's funny, but you'd think that in her years in politics prior to joining the McCain campaign she would've had the opportunity to share her opinion on these matters. She didn't. Given her relative ineptitude at actually answering direct questions in relation to those, and her reliance on tried and true McCain campaign talking points to get her through, I sincerely doubt those are her own stances and not the stances the McCain campaign has asked her to voice. You'd think if these were really her own stances she'd be able to comfortably discuss and elaborate on them beyond the talking point that's in lock step with the McCain campaign. She hasn't shown that capability yet, and so she demonstrates a lack of substance to many here and elsewhere.

And finally...

You really need to stop making statements about what liberals think and or believe. You're hardly an expert on the matter.

I make whatever statements I want slick. Who are you trying to fool? Conservatives have opinions on liberals just like liberals have opinions on conservatives. Most of the people on this board are liberals and it seems you guys want nothing but comfortable agreement. Should I start demanding you to be an expert on conservative views before you air your opinion? Get over it Mr. Ego.

Considering that most of the United States has a horrible record of spending she would be a good place to start. Looking at her Alaskan record as governor is not of note to you I suppose. She has to have a perfect budget and she can't change her mind over the years. She wanted the Bridge to nowhere at first but changed her mind and moved on since then. Her recent accomplishments are the reason for her as a VP pick.

Maybe if Obama didn't make any spending promises and decided to use tax increases to balance the budget I would be convinced he's better but he didn't. Anyways how do you get more tax revenue by increasing taxes in a recession? You have to have a gain on your income statement to pay taxes. Palin understands increasing taxes on businesses to give middle class tax breaks punish production and reward consumer spending. Corporations provide jobs. She understands the American public need to personally control their spending which is something the government can only give incentives for at best.

She stays on McCain talking points because she's the VP. She's supporting the presidential candidate. Even Biden has to follow talking points despite disagreeing with Obama in the past. When he made comments about clean coal he had to make an about face to match Obama. Actually Biden was intelligent enough to know that he wasn't the best pick for VP from his own words. Most of his hard hitting was attacking Bush and loading the entire blame of the economy on Republicans. If Democrats win with that line that will be an incredible magic trick.

The debt certainly increased for other reasons that republicans can be blamed for but democrats like the increased entitlement spending, and haven't done anything in the past 2 years to stop it. It looks like the only change that will happen is when the conservative wing of the Republican party actually takes over and stops copying democrats.

Tell me how Obama is going to balance the budget. I'd like to hear this. There must be an explanation.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #338
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Considering that most of the United States has a horrible record of spending she would be a good place to start. Looking at her Alaskan record as governor is not of note to you I suppose. She has to have a perfect budget and she can't change her mind over the years. She wanted the Bridge to nowhere at first but changed her mind and moved on since then. Her recent accomplishments are the reason for her as a VP pick.
Funny. I seem to remember a big deal being made when she first joined the campaign about he she was against earmarks, despite the fact that as governor of Alaska she held the largest per capita earmark spending out of any other governor. That certainly doesn't seem like a change of heart. And then even she herself used the bridge to nowhere as an example of her stance against earmarks. Oh, expect she neglected to mention that she was initially in favor of it, and very vocal about her support, too.

Quote:
She understands the American public need to personally control their spending
Is this supposed to be some unique, especially insightful view of hers? It's common sense.

When it comes to balancing the budget, I find it extremely funny to hear anyone who has supported the current Republican party & the party of the past 8 years trying to paint the Democrats as the ones we should worry about when it comes to spending. If I recall correctly, Bill Clinton, a Democrat and one of those nasty liberals, didn't do too shabby when it came to balancing the budget. The Republican Party hasn't been the party of small government in a long, long time.

Quote:
She stays on McCain talking points because she's the VP. She's supporting the presidential candidate. Even Biden has to follow talking points despite disagreeing with Obama in the past.
She stays on the McCain talking points because she isn't knowledgeable enough to expand on them. Biden showed he is comfortably actually relating real world issues to the talking points and expanding on them. Palin did not.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #339
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Biden showed he is comfortably actually relating real world issues to the talking points and expanding on them. Palin did not.
Yeah that's right Hamas=Hezballoh

<>
Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
They have to do a lot with personal responsibility and not waiting around for the government to solve problems through social welfare programs.
I find that interesting because the people that get branded as elitist by this group are usually the ones who spent a lot of $ on their educations, and who work in highly paid industries and pay the highest taxes in the land. They are certainly not waiting around for welfare and probably have never relied on it.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #341
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Yeah that's right Hamas=Hezballoh

<>
Keep trying, good buddy
Old 10-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #342
Blue Crack Supplier

How is McCain going to "cut spending" if he's spending so much money in Iraq? That's the biggest money problem we have. I wish Obama and Biden would note that more.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Obama's in town today, and I have a VIP pass to go see him

They're expecting 50,000, with room for only 10,000. This is going to be interesting.

If my parents can get tickets it looks like I'll be seeing Biden tomorrow too

Living in a swing state is insanity. I'm not used to this kind of attention!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

I think Jacoby Ellsbury winked at me last night too-or maybe he just had dirt in his eye

The Corner on National Review Online

A very wise TV executive once told me that the key to TV is projecting through the screen. It's one of the keys to the success of, say, a Bill O'Reilly, who comes through the screen and grabs you by the throat. Palin too projects through the screen like crazy. I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who, when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, "Hey, I think she just winked at me." And her smile. By the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent little starbursts through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned; it's either something you have or you don't, and man, she's got it.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Laura,
good luck and have a blast! Living in a swing state=fun. tell us all about it when you get back..