2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #301
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 PM
The shout out to the school kids was, by far, the worst moment of the debate.

I had to do a double take.

"no, she's not doing a shout out. Oh man, she even called it a shout out."

That was my exact response to my buddy.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
still... obama will need to fuck up to lose this election. the democrats uncanny ability to shoot themselves in the face is the only reason why this thing is even still interesting.

i do agree.

but he seems so much more levelheaded and impervious to hysteria, that maybe, just maybe, the democrats won't fall on their own swords.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #303
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i do agree.

but he seems so much more levelheaded and impervious to hysteria, that maybe, just maybe, the democrats won't fall on their own swords.
I think he is far more in control of his campaign then some people give him credit for. It seems he has shaped his message to what he belives are his best traits.

I don't forsee a meltdown from Obama. There could always be something out of his control. But even then he has shown great calm and stature when dealing with adversery ie. The speech he gave on race relations after the Wright scandal.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

all he needs is a little help from Howard Dean:

YouTube - Howies End
Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #305
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
"Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again. You preferenced [sic] your whole comment with the Bush administration. Now doggone it, let's look ahead and tell Americans what we have to plan to do for them in the future. You mentioned education and I'm glad you did. I know education you are passionate about with your wife being a teacher for 30 years, and god bless her. Her reward is in heaven, right? I say, too, with education, America needs to be putting a lot more focus on that and our schools have got to be really ramped up in terms of the funding that they are deserving. Teachers needed to be paid more. I come from a house full of school teachers. My grandma was, my dad who is in the audience today, he's a schoolteacher, had been for many years. My brother, who I think is the best schoolteacher in the year, and here's a shout-out to all those third graders at Gladys Wood Elementary School, you get extra credit for watching the debate!"
that was the moment I was trying to reference in my first comment during the debates last night. It just drove me crazy.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

It was particularly awkward to use that "her reward is in heaven" line when Joe Biden's first wife is deceased but truth be told I'm assuming Palin knew none of this given her complete disregard when she launched into a "as a mother..." schtick in the face of a single father.

So I'm gonna chalk it up to ignorance on her part. Again.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #307
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
If you want to talk about Sting, start another thread.
Can we do this? I mean, every single time STING is criticized because his posting style makes discourse practically impossible, he angrily states that this isn't a thread about STING (even though the post is about how STING is disrupting the thread) and dismisses all critiques.

I'd personally love a STING discussion thread, just so he doesn't have an excuse to stick his fingers in his ears every time someone critiques him.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'd be more impressed with Palin if she was running for school committee or even was my kid's principle, but certainly not as vice president. It's a shame that intelligence is looked down upon as being "elitist" while folksy charm can get you to the top and into the hearts of so many people.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #309
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Can we do this?
No.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #310
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randhail View Post
I'd be more impressed with Palin if she was running for school committee or even was my kid's principle, but certainly not as vice president. It's a shame that intelligence is looked down upon as being "elitist" while folksy charm can get you to the top and into the hearts of so many people.
Yes. This. I certainly wouldn't be anti-folksy if that went hand in hand with other qualities and qualifications, but when it seems to be the sole reason some voters like a candidate ..... that just makes me feel all stabby.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Weren't some people saying that they thought Minnesota was going to go to McCain? I'm not really worried at all about Wisconsin, from what I've heard its usually pretty solidly Democratic. Pennsylvania, I think, is still somewhat up in the air. I would definitely say Obama has a much better chance of winning it than McCain, though. Do you think Obama has a strong lead in all 3 states? I always have a hard time finding believable state-by-state polls.
I don't anticipate Minnesota going for McCain; we haven't gone Republican in a presidential election since Nixon. Wisconsin won't either, they're usually behind Democratic candidates too.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #312
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I don't anticipate Minnesota going for McCain; we haven't gone Republican in a presidential election since Nixon. Wisconsin won't either, they're usually behind Democratic candidates too.
I think it possibly could go McCain. I live in northern MN, a traditionally very blue part of the state with heavy union membership, and I have heard quite a few "conservative democrats" say they are considering McCain because, basically, the democratic party of today doesn't represent the values of rural America.

Either way, I think this election will be much closer than polls are currently showing.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #313
Refugee

I just watched the debate. Joe Biden won it easily. He was a class act that's well informed on the issues and could answer the questions with ease. He explained how Obama/Biden would be different from 8 years of disgrace from the Bush regime.

Sarah Palin did better than what people thought she'd do, but she was still like a freshman in college when compared to Biden. She was elusive with questions repeatedly and never explained how McCain/Palin would be different from the Bush regime.

What I gathered from the debate.

Joe Biden - I learned something.

Sarah Palin - "Wall Street, maverick, energy, Alaska, nook-u-ler". Repeat.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #314
Blue Crack Supplier

why do rural voters feel as if they need to have their "values" represented? what are those values? and why are they more important than their interests? is it more important to have someone with your "values" than it is to have someone who's competent and knows how to govern? why do rural voters demand that a candidate do something embarrassing (for a northeastern intellectual who vacations on Nantucket like Kerry) like pretend to go duck hunting? most people in this country live in cities or in their immediate suburbs, not in rural America. and you don't see urban voters demanding that candidates attend a poetry slam or go to the theater or talk about the joys of asian fusion cuisine. i never hear anyone address the skyrocketing rents in DC or NYC or Boston. perhaps i am concerned about the price of jicama.

what gives, rural America? why do you need such coddling? can't you just take a look at your wallet, take a look at your job situation, take a look at foreign policy, and not vote about whether you "like" someone or that they share your accent or that they say "gosh" and "darn it"?

pray tell, rural America. there actually aren't that many of you. why does everything have to be about you?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
pray tell, rural America. there actually aren't that many of you. why does everything have to be about you?
Well we have a poster in here repeatedly addressing the rest of us as Little San Francisco, so perhaps he can explain to us how it is that we're not "real" like Sarah and how our values are also fake.