2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Vice-Presidential Debate - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #256
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The Fox poll is from text messages, over a million so far with it being 86% Palin, 14% Biden.
Yeah, I'd take the Fox News poll as gospel.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #257
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
In a situation that by all accounts warranted a response along the lines of "How can one spend TOO MUCH time on facts in a presidential campaign?! It should be ALL about facts, and not about trying to pander to the bizarre combination of ignorance and cultural narcism that is altogether too common in this country, you foolish, foolish man!", Maddow sat there calmly and let it slide without saying anything. Like I said, an admirable display of self-restraint.
Well, how does Mr. "facts and substance" explain the following:

To qoute Joe Biden:

Quote:
Look, we have spent more money -- we spend more money in three weeks on combat in Iraq than we spent on the entirety of the last seven years that we have been in Afghanistan building that country.

Let me say that again. Three weeks in Iraq; seven years, seven years or six-and-a-half years in Afghanistan.

Yet, the facts are that the United States spends $2 Billion dollars every month in Afghanistan compared to the $10 billion dollars that is spent in Iraq. The United States spent $24 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in 2007, 4 TIMES what Biden claimed the United States had spent in Afghanistan since 2001!

If your going to make facts and specifics a key part of your argument, you need to at least be in the ball park on the numbers. Joe Biden was on another planet.

http://www.armscontrolcenter.org/pol...ing_burn_rate/
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #258
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:51 PM
I only caught the highlights of the debate. Seems like Palin did better than expected... or should I say better than democrats expected? lol. She definitely sounded a lot more knowledgeable and confident than during the Couric interviews.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #259
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Does it really count as a win if you're being celebrated only for not fucking up completely?

Naturally, I'm referring to the lunatics handing Palin the outright win.
Can you really be considered the king of substance and facts when you claim that the United States has only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in all of the past 7 years, but the facts show that the United States spent nearly 4 times that in Afghanistan just in 2007?
__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Can you really be considered the king of substance and facts when you claim that the United States has only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in all of the past 7 years, but the facts show that the United States spent nearly 4 times that in Afghanistan just in 2007?
There were factual errors on both sides, I believe.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Can you really be considered the king of substance and facts when you claim that the United States has only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in all of the past 7 years, but the facts show that the United States spent nearly 4 times that in Afghanistan just in 2007?

This is so cool! We're getting to see the debut of a Classic Sting Talking Point. It's like being there the first time he mentioned 1441 or "without preconditions"!

If we just agree with you right now, can we put this one to rest?
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #262
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Count me as one person who wasn't surprised by Palin's performance in the debate. I never thought she was THAT incapable.

Nonetheless, she still remained stuck on talking points whereas Biden seemed to be really answering questions and dealing in substance. He dodged a few. . he refused to discuss at all any times he's disagreed with Obama. But I suppose that's to be expected.

The idea that this debate would sink Palin and by extension McCain was a bit far fetched. However, I don't think she's done much to swing people back McCain's way.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 02:51 PM
I still think it's crazy that a talking-point base cheerleader is considered the next Reagan by conservatives. I don't understand that. I understand excitement at her ability to keep them in the game. I understand the excitement at having a cheerleader for their beliefs and ideals on a national stage.

I don't understand how they could honestly watch that debate and truly believe she kicked arse, when the reality is that while she played a very smart and very well coached game, it was precisely one designed to keep her as far away from her competitors game as possible. The strategy clearly was avoid/deflect/play cute, avoid/deflect/play cute, avoid/deflect/play cute, and it's as obvious as day that the strategy is as such because she can't come close to matching any one of the other three on anything related to requirements for national leadership, let alone international leadership.

So sure, the conservatives have found a great cheerleader and for that they can and should be very excited. She is really brilliant in those terms. A bone fide star for sure. She'd be great opposite Huckabee on his new Fox show or something. But as a leader? As a potential leader of your country? US conservatives really should be insulted that this is what they've been given, and seriously embarrassed.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #264
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
So many here have claimed that Joe Biden's performance was filled with specifics and substance. Joe Biden placed particular emphasis on one issue, claiming that

[Biden quote]

Well, Joey, lets take a look at the facts. The United States roughly spends about $10 Billion dollars a month on Iraq. According to you, that would mean the United States had only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan since 2001.

But just taking a look at the year 2007, the facts show that the United States spent an average of $10.3 Billion dollars a month in Iraq, but also spent $2 Billion dollars per month in Afghanistan. The United States spent $24 Billion dollars just in 2007, almost 4 times what Joe Biden claims the United States has spent in Afghanistan the past 7 years!

When it comes to "substance and specifics" Joey is on another planet.

Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation: U.S. Spending on Iraq and Afghanistan by Month, Week, Day, Hour, Minute, & Second
Is that the best you can do? Throughout the debate, he undeniably demonstrated a broad and deep knowledge and drew on specific details and evidence to support his claims. That's what good debaters do. And all you can do is grab just one particular piece of evidence from the many he presented and rebut it, as if this single rebuttal is somehow a rebuttal of everything else he said and negates his experience! What a ridiculous conflation.

Nobody here is saying that he was perfect or that every single item of evidence he presented to sustain his argumentation was precise and correct. In such a lengthy debate, some kind of error is natural and expected. I would not expect anybody to nail everything.

But at least he consistently and thoroughly drew upon evidence to substantiate his arguments. Sarah Palin, meanwhile, seems completely unfamiliar with such a basic principle of debating and is lucky if she can articulate something that vaguely resembles an argument more than an irrelevant ramble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, how does Mr. "facts and substance" explain the following:

To qoute Joe Biden:

[Biden quote]

Yet, the facts are that the United States spends $2 Billion dollars every month in Afghanistan compared to the $10 billion dollars that is spent in Iraq. The United States spent $24 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in 2007, 4 TIMES what Biden claimed the United States had spent in Afghanistan since 2001!

If your going to make facts and specifics a key part of your argument, you need to at least be in the ball park on the numbers. Joe Biden was on another planet.

Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation: U.S. Spending on Iraq and Afghanistan by Month, Week, Day, Hour, Minute, & Second
Wait, isn't that what you just said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Can you really be considered the king of substance and facts when you claim that the United States has only spent $7.5 Billion dollars in Afghanistan in all of the past 7 years, but the facts show that the United States spent nearly 4 times that in Afghanistan just in 2007?
We read it the first time, you know. You don't have to repeat the same damn point three times in fourteen minutes. Now, if it had gone ignored for fourteen days, that's another thing entirely. But in this case, you just look like a bit of a broken record, somebody desperately scrambling for a talking point to hammer home in ignorance to all the other points out there that go against you.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #265
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:51 PM
I'd give Biden a B- and Palin a C+, probably.

These debates have become so over-rehearsed that they hardly warrant the label anymore. Most of Biden's answers and almost all of Palin's sounded totally scripted, her "folksy" flourishes came off rote and programmatic and his demeanor was unnaturally wary and grave. Even the predictable distortions of each other's running mates' stances were recycled, all stuff FactCheck et al. debunked long ago. I give Biden the edge for having generally more substantive answers, fewer meaningless platitudes and for answering a larger number of the questions head-on, but on the whole I found this "debate" boring and tepid and was glad I had other stuff to work on while it was playing (watched it online).
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #266
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:51 AM
I agree 100% with your observations...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #267
Refugee
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,256
Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I still think it's crazy that a talking-point base cheerleader is considered the next Reagan by conservatives.
You could put an "R" on a toaster, and they'd consider that the next great leader, which is actually one of the things I admire about republicans - their ability to ignore their candidates shortcomings and still support that candidate.

If you took Sarah, and changed absolutely nothing about her, about her positions, or about her history, then stuck a "D" next to her name, the conservatives would hate her. And so would the democrats.

We've made our standards so high that we'll never get a candidate that we'll all be happy with, and while we kick and scream at each other, the republicans walk away victorious. How did I end up in such a disorganized party?
__________________
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #268
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,445
Local Time: 08:51 AM
biden certainly won the debate... but the media made palin out to be such a bafoon that the fact that she didn't get trounced by biden is in many ways a victory for palin... simply because she wasn't this big doofus that we've all been led to believe.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #269
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Does it really count as a win if you're being celebrated only for not fucking up completely?

Naturally, I'm referring to the lunatics handing Palin the outright win.


all Sarah Palin had to do was not swallow her own tongue,

and she was going to be declared the winner in some circles.

i think this will matter very little. she's been exposed as having no insight, no knowledge, no experience, and as not terribly bright. i'm betting they're going to put her back behind the curtains and she'll do no more interviews after being so embarrassed by Katie Couric (of all people).

still, i think she proved to people that she's a bit better than the Tina Fey version of her, so her rapidly declining approval ratings might taper off a bit. she's still a liability and a weight down on the ticket, but she managed to stop the freefall.

McCain certainly has his work cut out for him.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #270
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
And all you can do is grab just one particular piece of evidence from the many he presented and rebut it, as if this single rebuttal is somehow a rebuttal of everything else he said and negates his experience! What a ridiculous conflation.



and no matter the subject, this is what a discussion is like with said poster.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com