2008 U.S. Presidential Election: Second Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not kidding myself about anything.

I'm saying "that one" coming out of McCain's mouth in reference to Obama is a lot different than a teacher saying "that one/that guy/WHATEVER other casual reference instead of a pronoun or a name" to a student.

Ok I will.
I think that McCain is fucking racist.
Maybe he's not, but I think he is.

CNN phone results

Who did best job in debate? Obama - 50%; McCain 30%. I *think* I got those numbers right...

Obama's favourable numbers went up by 4% and his unfavourables dropped, too (missed that number)

McCain's stayed exactly the same, no movement.

Ok I will.

Oh, well that! That's not so shocking.

I misunderstood and thought that you meant anyone who might say "that one" would only do so with some racial connotations or something.

cautious optimism ... cautious optimism

It all seems so easy to predict now, but jeez. I don't hold a lot of faith that there aren't still a lot (a lot a lot A LOT) of voters who are thinking " :hmm: I don't know ... I don't think a democrat can protect us from terrorists."

Call me pessimistic, call me cynical, I just don't think anything is cut and dry.

Ugh, I'm already anxious over election day.

Ok I will.

No, Mac was trying to do paint O as a youngster..by "that one".

Like a fatherly figure referring to a youngster.

Nothing more, nothing less.

<>

I wasn't paying attention at the moment when this "That One" was said, but isn't it possible that McCain simply spaced on Obama's name for an instant and grasped at the first alternative that came to mind instead? Granted, "that one" sounds more unfriendly than "my opponent," and might genuinely reveal frosty sentiments; but come on, no one's under the delusion that these two men still like each other at this point, if indeed they ever did.

cautious optimism ... cautious optimism

It all seems so easy to predict now, but jeez. I don't hold a lot of faith that there aren't still a lot (a lot a lot A LOT) of voters who are thinking " :hmm: I don't know ... I don't think a democrat can protect us from terrorists."

Call me pessimistic, call me cynical, I just don't think anything is cut and dry.

Ugh, I'm already anxious over election day.

i do.

your guy is gonna win.

by at least 3-4% of the pop vote and by at least 50-75 more electoral votes.

take it to the bank.

<>

No, Mac was trying to do paint O as a youngster..by "that one".

Like a fatherly figure referring to a youngster.

Nothing more, nothing less.

<>

I thought it was more innocent too- Obama has been trying to tie McCain to Bush, so McCain played on that assumption a little bit by saying "that one" with an implicit "yeah, not me!"

I wasn't paying attention at the moment when this "That One" was said, but isn't it possible that McCain simply spaced on Obama's name for an instant and grasped at the first alternative that came to mind instead? Granted, "that one" sounds more unfriendly than "my opponent," and might genuinely reveal frosty sentiments; but come on, no one's under the delusion that these two men still like each other at this point, if indeed they ever did.

context is important here.

John didn't forget Barry's name.

John was talking about senator votes, duties and behaviors.

Contrasting his history and record to Barry's he said..."And That One"..referring to Barry's differences to his.

You guys leap to conclusions too easily.

<>

I was asking a question, not jumping to a conclusion...like I said I wasn't paying attention during that portion.

It's possible, but I think the way he phrased it goes beyond frosty, to being incredibly dismissive. If it was a case of simple forgetting, there are many other ways he could have referred to Obama, as you mentioned.

Wow. I don't know if CNN got their polling incredibly wrong, but all the numbers are overwhelmingly in Obama's favour except for one - McCain led by around 4% in the question "who would handle terrorism better." Obama even won with "who would handle Iraq better."

Back
Top Bottom