2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched it. It was excellent, and I almost think I'm dreaming sometimes when I realize we have an intelligent president again.:love: Barack and Michelle are a great couple. I can't wait to see them and the girls in the White House.:heart:

:yes: (As in I agree & I watched it as well)

brains :drool:

i was less impressed with his brains (which seem fine to me) and more impressed with his demeanor and preternatural calmness.

he's an adult.

What will the SNL people and David Letterman do without strategery and other fumblings of George W.??

Yay for an intelligent president!!! :yippie:

I'm most supportive of his plan to initiate a playoff system in college football, quite frankly.

I'm impressed with the promises he's recently made (or maybe I just happened to hear of them recently...) regarding Guantanamo Bay. As someone from outside of the US I think this will do so much for the perception of America, morally :up: Go Obama!

I agree

Also his devotion to his family. The day after he was elected he went to his parent/teacher conference. You can't get much better than that.

I noticed that too. Their schedule had been absolutely grueling for months (and honestly, props to McCain for being able to do it at his age, it couldn't have been easy for him), and I'd see Obama in clips from the campaign trail on tv. Sometimes he'd look like he was dragging a little, but if Michelle and the girls were with him, it seemed to totally energize him, his whole body language changed. It was nice to see. :)

personally, since I have no choice I`m ok with Obama as long as he doesn`t screw us over. If he is what he says he is,the world will be erased of all it`s problems and it will all be part of a history book by `12.

The difference in the way Obama looks now from what he looked like two years ago is quite shocking, in my opinion.

Yeah, and I'm sure it'll get worse, he's in for a rough few years.

personally, since I have no choice I`m ok with Obama as long as he doesn`t screw us over. If he is what he says he is,the world will be erased of all it`s problems and it will all be part of a history book by `12.

That's very unrealistic. He's said as much, many times. He won't be able to magically fix all the crap that's been left for him in the next 4 years. If that's your measure of his success, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Unfortunately, the world will never be rid of all its problems, no matter how good a president Obama, or anyone else, is.

That's very unrealistic. He's said as much, many times. He won't be able to magically fix all the crap that's been left for him in the next 4 years. If that's your measure of his success, you'll be sorely disappointed.

My point exactly.

But still who knows what could happen,it might really work out :shrug:
when someone says they are gonna do something (presidents) They better do it...

My point exactly.

How is that your point exactly? No one has ever alluded to these magical powers except you.

Do you really expect this means of debate to be taken seriously?

You make up something about someone and then say, see I told you he couldn't do that...:doh:

How is that your point exactly? No one has ever alluded to these magical powers except you.

Do you really expect this means of debate to be taken seriously?

You make up something about someone and then say, see I told you he couldn't do that...:doh:

I`m not saying anyone can fix all the fucked up stuff in the world,I`m just saying,like the economy,he could pretty well fix that and it be a thing of the past.

If he is what he says he is,the world will be erased of all it`s problems [...]

I`m not saying anyone can fix all the fucked up stuff in the world,I`m just saying,like the economy,he could pretty well fix that and it be a thing of the past.

Explain how these two statements are not contradictory.

Are you saying he can`t do it or
do you think he could?

I think Obama is capable, yes...

But my point is that Obama nor his supporters ever made such craptastic fairy tales that Obama would erase all the wrong in the world, which is what you were trying to allude. Republicans are going to have to do a lot better than building these types of weak arguments.

I don't think Obama is going to change anything big soon, when it comes to the economy and foreign policy it'll come down to damage control en steps in the right direction.

In all fairness, I do think there's a lot of hype surrounding the Obama presidency even though I have no doubt he will make a fine president. It's all good, as long as everybody stays realistic in their expectations.

Whoever thinks the current economic crisis can be easily dealt with by one person is quite an optimist. Nevertheless, at least compared to Bush and his current government I have a lot more trust in Obama, especially on a multilateral level.

I think Obama is capable, yes...

But my point is that Obama nor his supporters ever made such craptastic fairy tales that Obama would erase all the wrong in the world, which is what you were trying to allude. Republicans are going to have to do a lot better than building these types of weak arguments.
Too right, because "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom