2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
honestly how much does the public, media (aka MSM) really know about anyone who is a politician let alone a president. It's not any different with Obama then it is with anyone else. Diamond ur just grasping at nothing again.:huh: keep it up cuz it's fun to watch...:wink:

the fact that a person of color, especially of african descent, could be elected leader of a majority white country, is a stunning achievement when one considers that, as history goes, colonialism and slavery are fairly recent events.

that's why it's a game changer. that's why the election of Obama changes the world. it shifts a centuries old racially based power structure.

he could turn out to be a crap president. absolutely. but, given history, the fact that he was elected at all is a stunning reminder that we are in the future, and that progress has been made.
He is evidence of the incremental progress that has been made over many decades, America today isn't very different than America a month ago, it isn't a changed country.

Did Tom mention his birth certificate?

Nice dodge, and what a shitty editting job...

Your comprehension skills get a :down: for the day.

He didn't have to.

It could have been a journalistic CYA just in case something such as this comes to light later.

Time will tell.

<>

He didn't have to.

It could have been a journalistic CYA just in case something comes to light later.

Why are you so desperate?

Why won't you acknowledge that if this had half an ounce truth that the Republican party would have looked into it?

Take off the tin foil hat and go breathe some fresh air.

You do realize that access to his official birth certificate was sealed the day after he returned from visiting Hawaii, and then his grandma died.

No you don't realize that, because it was kept out of the MSM.
<>

Still going on about that? :tsk:

you know what's funny, pathetic and sad all at the same time ? Is that polygon gets ihis misnformation and his cutesy quotes and parables from "the inside" and "his people" right about the same time my batshit crazy and just-as-bigoted-as-polygon in-laws do !

It's like they can't comprehend where people stand on an issue and discuss them on their own merits without oversimplifying it (i.e, dumbing it down) for their readers to the level of "olivia offers ice-cream".

Maybe it's just their way of weeding out the "elitists"

Same goes with the whole birth-certificate conspiracy crap and almost anything else you'll see from polygon from "his people".

These are the same people who boast of emails from Nigerian Princes....

Why are you so mad at me about that?

Because ignorance is one thing, but the comments you made that day told me something about your character that I frankly didn't care for. There's a dose of honesty for you.

I just ran across these and thought I'd lighten the mood.

political-pictures-joe-plumber-retr.jpg

political-pictures-barack-obama-whi.jpg

I'm watching Obama's first news conference and I love how he discusses foreign policy with Iran and what dog his children are getting in pretty much the same tone. Good stuff...

Can we all agree that when Diamond posts things like "Obama's getting a pass because the media didn't investigate his birth certificate," we should just collectively ignore him?

Can we all agree that when Diamond posts things like "Obama's getting a pass because the media didn't investigate his birth certificate," we should just collectively ignore him?

I have him on ignore, but it's kinda like the crazy guy who stands on street corners yelling crazy shit to nobody in particular...you kinda have to watch and listen out of sick curiosity.

the fact that a person of color, especially of african descent, could be elected leader of a majority white country, is a stunning achievement when one considers that, as history goes, colonialism and slavery are fairly recent events.

that's why it's a game changer. that's why the election of Obama changes the world. it shifts a centuries old racially based power structure.

he could turn out to be a crap president. absolutely. but, given history, the fact that he was elected at all is a stunning reminder that we are in the future, and that progress has been made.

He is evidence of the incremental progress that has been made over many decades, America today isn't very different than America a month ago, it isn't a changed country.

i have to agree with awanderer here. the racial power structure is no different today than it was 3 or 4 days ago. that's not to say that having an african american president isn't a great thing - it is - but the ghettos aren't going to disappear any time soon.

i have to agree with awanderer here. the racial power structure is no different today than it was 3 or 4 days ago. that's not to say that having an african american president isn't a great thing - it is - but the ghettos aren't going to disappear any time soon.

And I will choose to agree with Irvine's more optimistic, less killjoy-ish point of view. :)

And I will choose to agree with Irvine's more optimistic, less killjoy-ish point of view. :)

Don't confuse pessimism, or "killjoy-ism", for realism. Obama getting elected is a good thing to be sure, but get a little perspective: if life for African-Americans at the micro level will improve as a result of this election it will do so over time, and not happen overnight.

I think I'm caught up now :whew: I saw VintagePunk's links to Newsweek articles, and haven't been back since. I don't know if the last two parts have been posted yet. I just got through the first five. Interesting reading.

Loved the video Jeannie posted a few pages back :applaud:

Got this from a friend. I will look more closely at it over the weekend. I'm just trying to get caught up with a ton of things at the moment....

Obama Grabs Headlines

With the emphasis on national service and the supposed targets of having the involvement of every teenager will Obama become the president that reinstated a form of slavery?

With the emphasis on national service and the supposed targets of having the involvement of every teenager will Obama become the president that reinstated a form of slavery?

No. Many schools force students to perform x number of hours of volunteerism before they can graduate from high school.

Yes, I noticed the irony even then when I was forced.

No. Many schools force students to perform x number of hours of volunteerism before they can graduate from high school.

Yes, I noticed the irony even then when I was forced.

Nice post Melon. I am trying to get high school students in the honor society to run literature circles in my school.

I thought it was more along the lines of national service in exchange for college tuition.

Nice post Melon. I am trying to get high school students in the honor society to run literature circles in my school.

I must say that my high school curriculum was rather vigorous, and to be forced to volunteer for something that seems unimportant and even irrelevant to you isn't a good way of instilling the value of service. Instead, it just seems as though its the adults' way of getting someone to do something they don't want to do and for free.

It's been ten years since high school, and I've been working my ass off non-stop ever since then. My student loan debt and the long hours between juggling work and school in the beginning and the long hours demanded of media work presently have given me no time to do menial work for free.

What I am hoping is that, someday, I'll get a job where I'm treated and paid like an adult, and I'm hoping I'll be given the luxury of considering free work in the future. Actually, the former might not be too far off, actually, as I've just gotten a new-and-improved job in Toronto. I'm really curious if I'll have to work long hours again, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom