2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It really was an amazing thing to see. There were lots of honking cars and groups wandering the streets in celebration around my neighborhood. Just watching the faces of those in the crowds in Grant Park & Times Square was very moving.

Metafilter has a great thread on yesterday:

Barack Obama is the next President of the United States | MetaFilter

A few great posts:

People in Boston and Cambridge are roving in packs through the streets, screaming deliriously. Cars are going through intersections with horns blaring, a jubilant conversation in traffic. It's like the Sox won the World Series or something.

Waiting in front of Symphony Hall for the bus, a taxi driver pulled up to us and asked if my friend and I were going to Cambridge. We eyeballed him suspiciously for a second and asked why, and he said, "I don't care who you voted for. Free ride tonight." So we hopped in and listened to President-elect Obama[1]'s speech on the radio as the driver maneuvered carefully around throngs of marauding Northeastern students.

When we got to the Central Square cab stand, I asked the driver again if I couldn't give him even a little bit of money. He gestured at the radio and said, "In this man's name, no money." I told him I'd give him a hug, and he just laughed and said he'd save that for next time. We shook hands instead and I got out of the cab, feeling as though I were stepping out into a new world.

It's just, it's simply unbelievable.

It is unbelievable that the work of millions of people without connections or clout or vast money or insider power, came together under the idea of reform, calmness, and rationality, with malice towards none and FUCKING GOT THEIR ODD-NAMED MINORITY SMARTY-PANTS-TALKER ELECTED In a LANDSLIDE

That measured appeals to intellect and fairness and being a fucking adult about things worked over base pandering and baiting

THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Redemption my friends.

What I'm really excited about now is whether Obama can come through on his challenge to create a new era of national service. Imagine the things this country could do with a mobilized and motivated mass of people from all walks of life like Obama has gathered through his campaign. It's highly idealistic, but then again so was the idea of an Obama presidency 21 months ago.

Having been to Florida several times, I'm fairly confident that a good portion of the people voting to keep the Asians down are not confused at all.

Miami/Broward/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tallahassee isn't like that though. ;)
I'm afraid the most rural places in the country are very much like the traditional South, with country music and hick bumpkins who search the Everglades for frogs to fry in the middle of the night (seriously). We did elect Obama, so give us a bit of credit! :lol:

Metafilter has a great thread on yesterday:

Barack Obama is the next President of the United States | MetaFilter

A few great posts:

People in Boston and Cambridge are roving in packs through the streets, screaming deliriously. Cars are going through intersections with horns blaring, a jubilant conversation in traffic. It's like the Sox won the World Series or something.

Waiting in front of Symphony Hall for the bus, a taxi driver pulled up to us and asked if my friend and I were going to Cambridge. We eyeballed him suspiciously for a second and asked why, and he said, "I don't care who you voted for. Free ride tonight." So we hopped in and listened to President-elect Obama[1]'s speech on the radio as the driver maneuvered carefully around throngs of marauding Northeastern students.

When we got to the Central Square cab stand, I asked the driver again if I couldn't give him even a little bit of money. He gestured at the radio and said, "In this man's name, no money." I told him I'd give him a hug, and he just laughed and said he'd save that for next time. We shook hands instead and I got out of the cab, feeling as though I were stepping out into a new world.

ok, I'm not even American and that one made me tear up...

the 64% of the country who were inspired to vote, the highest since 1908? the fact that he got a majority of the popular vote, something that Clinton never did? the fact that he got a greater majority than LBJ?

(and it's likely that it will be more than 349 as i bet NC will go for BHO)

80% of America did not vote for Obama

he was only only able to get about 20% to vote for him. :shrug:

ok, I'm not even American and that one made me tear up...

Here's another one that got me very close:

College undergraduate checking in.

Just watched everything unfold with a group of 12 or so others. As soon as it became clear that Obama was, indeed, going to win, we swarmed the streets--screaming, chanting, hugging, crying--along with hundreds (at least) of other students. For most of us, this was our first time voting in an election; many of us were still in middle school when the twin towers fell. We've had a lot on our minds since then. I have it easy, and I've still been worrying about how I'm going to get a job in this economy when I graduate; whether my friends are going to end up in (or get out of) Iraq; if my best friend, who is gay, is going to be able to marry; whether I'm going to be protected, mental illnesses and all; whether I'm going to be in this all together with the world, whether one day I'm going to be able to truly believe in my government and actually feel proud to say that, yes, I am from the United States of America.

As someone who has cringed at the red, white, and blue which I have long associated with corruption and bigotry--my mind is blown. This is my generation. This was my very first time voting and I did something. WE did something. We informed ourselves; we got ourselves to the polls; we did something. And it felt good. It felt so goddamn good.

Watching Obama's speech, with all of us crying--and my best friend, in the middle of that, just smiling and saying aloud, "I'm going to get married"--and my other friend, sobbing because who would have ever thought, and if only his dad could be there tonight--and me, just blending in, holding hands, silently crying and watching it all because it is bigger than I ever imagined--because the problems we face are bigger than I can fathom--but for once, for once I feel hope and pride. I feel empowered.

I will never, ever miss another election. I've seen the power and meaning of one. And it delights me--and inspires me--to know that I am not the only young person to feel this way. Welcome, 21st century. The world won't change tomorrow, but it's going to change. And I think we can change it for the better.

I feel good tonight.

I think Hillary would definitely have won, though by a narrower margin.

I also think a McCain/Romney combination would have lost.

As the old cliche goes, it's the economy, stupid.

ONE

Yesterday, as we were awaiting the results, I was thinking about the election of Obama, and I was wondering if there had ever, in human history, been a moment when so many people (and from so many different countries, background and cultures) had wanted the same thing at the same time. I thought
for sure this would be a record, if there was any way to measure.

Today, as I am reading and watching testimonies, comments, Facebook profile reactions, overheard conversations all day long, chats with friends and family, I have the most umbelievable feeling. People the world over, most of them complete strangers, are literally expressing my own feelings. I am looking at pictures of people smiling, crying and dancing, from Kenya to China, from India to the United States, and I feel like I am recognising each one of them as someone I know deeply.

Journalists, friends, random people are making over-the-top statements such as having regained hope in humanity, and yet I fully understand what they mean. So many are saying they have cried at some point since last night, while I have felt so often like I was the only who would shed tears for that kind of thing.

This feeling might not last for long, but right now I can sense the possibility of completely understanding every other human being, and every other human being completely understanding me.

And the most amazing thing is that watching Barack Obama make his acceptance speech last night, I knew that he knows that this is so much bigger than him.

(P.S. I am not American, but you all know this is also much bigger than the USA ;)

I think Hillary would definitely have won, though by a narrower margin.

I also think a McCain/Romney combination would have lost.

As the old cliche goes, it's the economy, stupid.

What Obama states would she not have won?

I believe she would have taken them all, some with bigger margins and she would have also have taken Arkansas, Missouri, West Virginia and possibly one or two other Southern States. And this is with Obama as her V P.

And you are right McCain / Romney would have done worse than Palin.

but it is my friend and I couldn't be happier... :hug:

Amen!!! :applaud:

South Dakota failed to pass an abortion ban ballot initiative for the second time in two years. Very good result there, nice indicator of what happens when all the talk of banning abortion starts to look like a reality and people get a major case of buyer's remorse.

****THANK GOODNESS***

And of course, NOW we'll get a better SUPREME COURT! near :faint: with RELIEF!!!

I can't recall such a celebration of a presidential elect. Last night was truly memorable.

It was truly amazing, and memorable.

I am just glad that I was able to watch history in the making.
Regardless of how you feel about Jesse Jackson or Oprah, I was touched by their emotions.

No excuses, he has to produce, and it's not going to be easy considering what Dubya is leaving him.

We'll see. He is a politician. I voted for him, but there really wasn't a better choice.

I kind of wonder if the people who are screaming and crying and yelling are doing it just cause they got their guy elected...or they truly feel there is change coming.

I have a feeling HRC would have gotten a similar reaction.

There wasn't as much celebrating here. After the Phillies win, we don't care as much.

What the left doesn't get is that the rest of the world won't like the U.S. anyways and they want the U.S. superpower status to diminish out of envy.

This is just flat out false, a lie that Hannity and Rush have sold you. And polling around the world shows Obama is liked very much so far.

I know, conservative generalizations aren't popular here.:D I should use some Democrat ones. "Yes we did!"
It has nothing to do with "conservative" generalizations, generalizations in general suck and are useless in discussions. They're just watered down stereotypes. And you may want to look up the word "generalizations", because you aren't using it correctly.

i am thrilled by a decisive Obama TSUNAMI.

Well, there is still some counting going since not all the votes have been counted yet, especially the absentee ballots. But, it looks like Obama may have won by a 6 percentage point margin 52% to 46%. Thats not a TSUNAMI by any stretch of the imagination. The average US presidential election victory is won with a margin of 9.7 percentage points. You have to win by at least 15 percentage points to even be thinking "TSUNAMI".

If the current margin holds up, here is how the 2008 election ranks among the other elections in history in terms of the margin of victory for the winner:

1. 1920 Harding 60.32% Cox 34.15% +26.19%
2. 1924 Coolidge 54.04% Davis 28.82% +25.22%
3. 1936 Roosevelt 60.80% Landon 36.54% +24.26%
4. 1972 Nixon 60.67% McGovern 37.52% +23.15%
5. 1964 Johnson 61.05% Goldwater 38.47% +22.58%
6. 1904 Roosevelt 56.42% Parker 37.59% +18.83%
7. 1984 Reagan 58.77% Mondale 40.56% +18.21%
8. 1832 Jackson 54.74% Clay 36.93% +17.81%
9. 1932 Roosevelt 57.41% Hoover 39.65% +17.76%
10. 1928 Hoover 58.21% Smith 40.80% +17.41%
11. 1956 Eisenhower 57.37% Stevenson 41.97% +15.4%
12. 1912 Wilson 41.84% Roosevelt 27.40% +14.44%
13. 1836 Van Buren 50.79% Harrison 36.59% +14.2%
14. 1828 Jackson 55.93% Adams 43.68% +12.25%
15. 1856 Buchanan 45.29% Fremont 33.09% +12.2%
16. 1872 Grant 55.58% Greeley 43.78% +11.8%
17. 1952 Eisenhower 55.18% Stevenson 44.33% +10.85%
18. 1824 Adams 30.92% Jackson 41.36% +10.44%
19. 1860 Lincoln 39.65% Douglas 29.52% +10.13%
20. 1864 Lincoln 55.03% McClellan 44.95% +10.08%
21. 1940 Roosevelt 54.74% Willkie 44.78% +9.96%
22. 1980 Reagan 50.75% Carter 41.01% +9.74%
23. 1908 Taft 51.57% Bryan 43.04% +8.53%
24. 1996 Clinton 49.23% Dole 40.72% +8.51%
25. 1988 Bush 53.37% Dukakis 45.65% +7.72%
26. 1944 Roosevelt 53.39% Dewey 45.89% +7.5%
27. 1852 Pierce 50.83% Scott 43.88% +6.95%
28. 1900 McKinley 51.64% Bryan 45.52% +6.12%
29. 1840 Harrison 52.87% Van Buren 46.82% +6.05%
30. 2008 Obama 52% McCain 46% +6.0%
31. 1992 Clinton 43.01% Bush 37.45% +5.56%
32. 1868 Grant 52.66% Seymour 47.34% +5.32%
33. 1848 Taylor 47.28% Cass 42.49% +4.79%
34. 1948 Truman 49.55% Dewey 45.07% +4.48%
35. 1896 McKinley 51.02% Bryan 46.71% +4.31%
36. 1916 Wilson 49.24% Hughes 46.12 +3.12%
37. 1892 Cleveland 46.02% Harrison 43.01% +3.01%
38. 1876 Hayes 47.92% Tilden 50.92% +3%
39. 2004 Bush 50.73% Kerry 48.27% +2.46%
40. 1976 Carter 50.08% Ford 48.02% +2.06%
41. 1844 Polk 49.54% Clay 48.09% +1.45%
42. 1888 Harrison 47.80% Cleveland 48.63% +.83%
43. 1968 Nixon 43.42% Humphrey 42.72% +.7%
44. 1884 Cleveland 48.85% Blaine 48.28% +.57%
45. 2000 Bush 47.87% Gore 48.38% +.51%
46. 1960 Kennedy 49.72% Nixon 49.55% +.17%
47. 1880 Garfield 48.31% Hancock 48.22% +.09%

People on here consider Bush's victory in 2004 with 50.7% of the vote to be a tiny, nearly insignificant victory. Yet, Obama gets 52% only slightly more, and its considered to be some sort of overwhelming victory.:wink:

People made a big deal about how the election in 2004 could have gone the other way in Ohio with just 200,000 votes. It turns out that similar changes in several red states would have produced a McCain victory with only 850,000 votes in total having to be changed.

Obviously, what won Obama the presidency was the recent financial crises. The slowing economy, current unpopular Republican party, current unpopular Republican President, Iraq, public feeling about the direction of the country, it seems may not have been enough to give him the win.

No excuses, he has to produce, and it's not going to be easy considering what Dubya is leaving him.

We'll see. He is a politician. I voted for him, but there really wasn't a better choice.

I kind of wonder if the people who are screaming and crying and yelling are doing it just cause they got their guy elected...or they truly feel there is change coming.

I have a feeling HRC would have gotten a similar reaction.

Personally speaking, I would not have had anywhere near as much emotion for HRC, nor do most people I know. I think it would have been a lot closer race.

4 years with good politics, then the people are disappointed and they'll have a republican president again....

(please don't get me wrong, I'm really so glad for you americans and at least for everyone)

not necessarily...

hopefully the dems will have learned better, from previous experiences.....

and it dpends on who's disappointed.

I mean, Bill CLinton turned out to be more Centrist than I liked in some ways, but he did some really good things- so I stay happy in general that I supported and worked for both of his campaigns.

So I good into this with eyes more open, Obama in some ways being too Centrist for me in some ways, but good, very good in other ways.

I feel as I've stepped into a different America, a better America, from as soon they announced his projected win- especially after McCain's (quite surprisingly) gracious concession speech.
For the very atmosphere of most of the Whole World has altered as we repudiated the policies of Bush & Chenney & McCain's major support of most of Bush's policies espin these past 4 years.
And preveented the even more radical agenda of the Far Religious Christian Right of Sarah Palin's crowd.

I agree with Toscano. I do not think that HRC brings the emotion that BO created with the American population.

I actually like McCain. I believe that he would have tried to do his best for the country and might have succeded, but Obama brings more passion to the table.

Look back to 10 years ago (If that), who would have predicted that a Vietnam POW hero, would have lost to an African American for the Presidency of the US?

Well, there is still some counting going since not all the votes have been counted yet, especially the absentee ballots. But, it looks like Obama may have won by a 6 percentage point margin 52% to 46%. Thats not a TSUNAMI by any stretch of the imagination. The average US presidential election victory is won with a margin of 9.7 percentage points. You have to win by at least 15 percentage points to even be thinking "TSUNAMI".

A higher margin than the two Bush 'victories' you are always crowing about, however.

I agree with Toscano. I do not think that HRC brings the emotion that BO created with the American population.

I actually like McCain. I believe that he would have tried to do his best for the country and might have succeded, but Obama brings more passion to the table.

Look back to 10 years ago (If that), who would have predicted that a Vietnam POW hero, would have lost to an African American for the Presidency of the US?

the 2000 McCain with a centrist VP may have won this election.

Still, you know, the economy......

For the very atmosphere of most of the Whole World has altered as we repudiated the policies of Bush & Chenney & McCain's major support of most of Bush's policies espin these past 4 years.

Well, we will soon see if Obama is really going to be radically different than Bush in certain area's, or will he finally begin to understand that his idea's in certain area's like Iraq were clearly wrong and he will continue what Bush had planned on these policy issues. The CENTCOM commander who is in charge of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan is General Patraeus. Given the huge success's in Iraq over the past two years, Obama would be foolish to break with the Bush administration and General Patraeus on policy here. Although it would be ironic since Obama campaigned and got much of his support from his opposition to Bush policy in Iraq, it would be wise if he followed the Bush administration policies in this area that have clearly worked.

baby boom, it's no longer only about you.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

As (a in the middle of the '46 - '64) "baby boomer" who's been a semi-activist since i was oh ?14 yrs, way aware[/] of serious trouble in the USA & around the world by the time I was 10 ('63) before JFK was assassinated; one of the 19 yr olds ( i was 18 in 71 when they passed the 18 yr old vote ) who voted for ( a very good man ) McGovern in 72; and have continued on from then till now;

and here foward (as I have in the past) .... triply-
continuing to learn about the past in order to see what streams of ideas; and events have made what America & the World what they are today; seeing what's worst currently happening, as well as taking the best of the present, AND seeing/hearing about the new ideas about the FUTURE>
and what IS (at least many) an activist is about but chnaging the present for a better future for those people that are younger & older and those yet unobrn.....

it never was just about us........... :|

Back
Top Bottom