2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember in 2004 or 2005, when Obama first came on the national scene, I liked him very early on, despite the fact that I didn't even see his 2004 convention speech. Even before I knew what his policy was, I thought, 'I like this guy, his personality, he's young, he's smooth...it would be cool if he actually ran for president like some people are saying and won...but he won't win it...Hilary is going to run, and the country that elected Bush twice isn't ready to elect a black man president...it will elect a woman before it elects a black man.' I've never been so happy to be so wrong!

Thank god that ruthless arsehole bush will be gone!

Hats off to McCain though he was gracious in defeat and his speech moved me as well, his policies still sucked though

A shame he didn't conduct his campaign the same way he delivered that speech. If he had, he may never have had to concede.

Then it's a good thing he was a jerk during the campaign. ;)

And... can I say, guys... your new president is F**KING HOT!!!!!

:applaud::applaud::applaud: Good job for maing the right choice for everybody. I am really excited about this, today is a great day!

Ok, Obama won and history was made.........what now?

When the euphoria of the election fades away, the world will still be the same as it was yesterday - Iran is still threatening the west (and my country above all), the Russian bear has woken up, the world's economy is in a shambles, there are millions of starving people in America and the world, global warming is still a real threat to the planet.......and so on (none of these are Bush's fault by the way).

America (and the free world) needs a strong leader - not only to tackle domestic problems at home but also to lead a very strong foreign policy that will show the bad guys who's boss (like Bush did).

Personally, I really wanted John McCain to win - unfortunately he shot himself in the foot by choosing Sarah Pallin as his running mate (a poor choice if ever there was one) and making a mockery of himself on "Saturday Night Live" in a vein attempt to gain the "young" vote.

Outgoing President Bush was one of the best presidents the United States ever had (am I the only person in the world who believes this?) and, truth be told, he will be SORELY missed (although not by the terrorists I'm sure.....).

So, good luck America and I wish President-Elect Obama all the luck in the world - he's DEFINITELY going to need it.

South Dakota failed to pass an abortion ban ballot initiative for the second time in two years. Very good result there, nice indicator of what happens when all the talk of banning abortion starts to look like a reality and people get a major case of buyer's remorse.

April 3, 1968

Martin Luther King

Memphis, Tennessee

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land.

November 4 2008

Barack Obama

Chicago

The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you: We as a people will get there.

Fantastic, My faith in Americans has been restored

America (and the free world) needs a strong leader - not only to tackle domestic problems at home but also to lead a very strong foreign policy that will show the bad guys who's boss (like Bush did).

Outgoing President Bush was one of the best presidents the United States ever had (am I the only person in the world who believes this?) and, truth be told, he will be SORELY missed (although not by the terrorists I'm sure.....).

So, good luck America and I wish President-Elect Obama all the luck in the world - he's DEFINITELY going to need it.

First Obama is strong, and GWB foreign policy is the most bullshit foreign policy i've ever seen. Bush showing the terrorists who's boss? What happened on his watch? Its like a list of terrosr you can hardly believe!

Bush was not one of the best presidents, infact he was definately one of the worst. He made some of the worst decisions in office and fucked up a lot of things.

I truly believe Obama will bring the change that the USA sorely needs. Instead of pouring money outwards into wars you cannot win, you need to look interally and fix up the internal problems before lauding yourself all over the world and spreading yourself way too thin.

I don't want to derail the thread, but can I just say I am so proud of all americans for getting out and voting, for pushing aside apathy and giving a shit, because you've been the change you wanted to see! :D :applaud:

Outgoing President Bush was one of the best presidents the United States ever had (am I the only person in the world who believes this?)

Honestly, I think you might be. Well Bush may agree with you, but that may be it...

By most accounts the majority of Bush apologists have either just stayed silent or at least admitted he wasn't a great president but they will still support the Republican party. His own party distanced themselves during this election, that doesn't happen with great presidents... hell that doesn't even happen with good or average presidents.

So I'm afraid your fan club may be small, but the good news is you can be president of that fan club.

i don't know why i'm wasting my time replying to this, but perhaps i just wanted to highlight your post for fun.

it's comical reading things like this. mind you, not in a "haha" way, but perhaps more in the same way that one hears about frank the monkey and shudders.

i don't expect you to get the frank the monkey reference, that was said for my own benefit i suppose.

one of the best presidents the united states ever had... good lord. sheer absurdity keeps finding new lows.

OBAMA.450.jpg

South Dakota failed to pass an abortion ban ballot initiative for the second time in two years. Very good result there, nice indicator of what happens when all the talk of banning abortion starts to look like a reality and people get a major case of buyer's remorse.

Nice!

My state defeated one as well, but it wasn't as bad as SD's.

Ok, Obama won and history was made.........what now?

4 years with good politics, then the people are disappointed and they'll have a republican president again....

(please don't get me wrong, I'm really so glad for you americans and at least for everyone)

I fell in and out of sleep, the last I remember Obama had 100 something and McCain had 40 something. I woke up just in time for his speech, and I'm so glad that I did. I shed a few tears after that. I'm proud today.

My Mom was a huge John Kennedy fan and for the first time ever I heard her compare Obama to him. I don't know about that, but I will wait and see.

ABC News has learned that President-elect Obama has offered the White House chief of staff job to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill.

Emanuel, a knowledgeable source tells ABC News, has not yet given his answer. The sharp-tongued, sharp-elbowed, keenly intelligent veteran of the Clinton White House is said to have ambitions to some day be Speaker of the House. But he also has a keen sense of "duty."

i tell you everytime i watch someone being interviewed on tv I am literally brought to tears.. I am truly from the bottom of my soul happy for my family and the rest of the USA. We deserve it after all these years and I am sure Obama's Grandmother is so overjoyed up there and beaming with pride on such a amazing grandson she has.

I woke my son up this morning and told him... and he just said "Yay!" I am sure his class will be talking alot about this today.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thank you for this. I've cross-posted this to a political forum I run - in the satire section. It was great! :up:

Back
Top Bottom