2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is just flat out false, a lie that Hannity and Rush have sold you. And polling around the world shows Obama is liked very much so far.

Polling? My point was that you don't want some leaders to like you because if they do it's because of what you let them get away with.

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least. Are they included in favoritability polling?

3medvedev_putin.jpg

Russian-American relations have historically been an important factor for stability in the world and have great importance and sometimes key significance for resolving many of today's international and regional problems. I hope for a constructive dialogue with you based on trust and consideration of each other's interests. ~ Medvedev

Venezuelan_President_Hugo_Chavez_greets__Iranian_President_Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad.jpg

In this day of hope for the American people, President Hugo Chávez, on behalf of the people of Venezuela, congratulates the people of the United States and President-elect Barack Obama for his important victory in an election that has captured the attention of international public opinion. This historic election of an African American to lead the most powerful country in the world is a sign that the era of change which has taken root in South America could be reaching the doorstep of the United States. From the homeland of Simón Bol�var, we are convinced the time has come to establish new relations between our countries and in our region, based on the principles of respect for sovereignty, equality and true cooperation. From every corner of the world cries have rung out calling for change in international relations and the construction, as the Liberator Simón Bol�var would have said, of a world of balance, peace and of human coexistence. The government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela reaffirms its will and determination to build a constructive bilateral agenda, founded upon the absolute respect of sovereignty, for the well-being of the peoples of Venezuela and the United States. ~ Chavez

Does anybody really believe this cheese? Co-existence? Are you kidding me?:lol:

(AP)WASHINGTON -- An emotional Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reveled Wednesday in Barack Obama's election, calling it an "extraordinary step forward" for the nation.

A child of the segregated deep South who became the highest-ranking African-American woman ever in American government and was once considered a potential Republican presidential nominee, Rice called the Democratic president-elect "inspirational" and said his victory was proof of America's promise.

"This was an exercise in American democracy of which Americans across the political spectrum are justifiably proud," she said.

"As an African-American, I'm especially proud," said Rice, her eyes glistening with emotion, "because this is a country that's been through a long journey, in terms of overcoming wounds and making race" less of a factor in life. "That work is not done, but yesterday was obviously an extraordinary step forward."

"One of the great things about representing this country is that it continues to surprise," she told reporters at the State Department at a hastily arranged briefing just hours before leaving Washington for the Middle East on a peacemaking trip. "It continues to renew itself. It continues to beat all odds and expectations."

Born and raised in Birmingham, Ala., at the height of the civil rights struggle, Rice herself overcame numerous obstacles and stereotypical low expectations. She speaks frequently about how improbable her rise to the corridors of power may seem. But she also notes that she succeeded the first black secretary of state, Colin Powell, and the first female to hold the job, Madeleine Albright.

"You just know that Americans are not going to be satisfied until they really do form that perfect union," she said, referring to the preamble of the Constitution, which begins: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union ..."

"And while the perfect union may never be in sight, we just keep working at it and trying," Rice said.

Aides said Rice would likely call Obama, as well as vanquished Republican presidential nominee John McCain, later Wednesday.

She said McCain had been "gracious" in defeat and called him "a great patriot."

"I want to note that President-elect Obama was inspirational and I'm certain he will continue to be," Rice said.

She never said who she planned to vote for, but had hinted broadly that she would support McCain by repeatedly stressing that she is a Republican.

Polling? My point was that you don't want some leaders to like you because if they do it's because of what you let them get away with.

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least.

Hey PO, 1973 called, they want their paranoia back........

It's global economy, and there are global security issues.

You want trade cooperation ? You want security cooperation ? You want intelligence sharing ? You want better IP protection ? You better have people that like you.......

I have a lot of family overseas in multiple countries in Europe, and I deal with Asia on a daily basis, everyone was cheering wildly for Obama; the world just got a wee bit safer today, and Americans are going to be treated nicer today than they were yesterday.

Of course, that won't matter to you if you're living in a bunker.

I can't recall such a celebration of a presidential elect. Last night was truly memorable.

The Celebration for B CLinton in '92 was almost as big!

What made this bigger was at least several things, including obviously the election of an African American (but like the Palin choice - she was a woman but against almost everything I believe, and not too smart either, so I never would have voted for McSame & her anyway) .

ANd the fact that after 4 years of Bush 41 a lot of people were ready to throw him out, and a lot of people got a better life under the B Clinton Administration, then had that take away - some during Bush 43's 1st term, and surely many more in this one......

...so in MHO it made that much more aching of people suffering to get the hell out of Bush/Chenny/McCain/Palin Americaland!

Given the widespread anger at Wall Street right now, I have some doubts. She probably still would have won, but many voters would have turned against a New York politician.

Maybe, but she won a lot of rural NY State people's respect over her Senate term....

I've always heard she is much warmer & funnier in small group interactions.

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least. Are they included in favoritability polling?

Then you should probably start saying what you really mean rather than post stuff like this:

What the left doesn't get is that the rest of the world won't like the U.S. anyways and they want the U.S. superpower status to diminish out of envy.

And what would be wrong with being liked by Medvedev or Chavez? Does that automatically make Obama evil if they are liked by someone you consider evil? What kind of logic is that? I'd much rather my president be liked by these men rather than hated, because it's much easier to not talk and throw bombs at someone you hate. I guess that's something the right doesn't understand.

It was truly amazing, and memorable.

I am just glad that I was able to watch history in the making.
Regardless of how you feel about Jesse Jackson or Oprah, I was touched by their emotions.

I already had cried the first 5 mins after OB's victory was announced, and as soon as I saw Jessie crying i started al over again, and when I saw other people crying, and then just on my own taking the enormity of what had happened in a little more..

I'm still overjoyed and in a happy shock!

for a non-incumbent, for a black man to win Virginia and likely North Carolina, to turn bluer states blue and turn red states more purple, for a man with a muslim name, for the democratic gains in the house and the senate, for a candidate running in what is still a very polarized country, yes, this was indeed a TSUNAMI.

If 4th quarter GDP contracts again as it did in the 3rd quarter of this year, it will be the first time that a Presidential election took place during a recession since before World War II. Which party benefits from such economic troubles, the one in the White House, or the one not in the White House?

Gallup already showed that Obama's race actually helped him more than it hurt him. The number of people more likely to vote for Obama because of his race was double that of the number who said they were less likely to vote for him because of his race.

the voters rejected John McCain and George W. Bush and the entire past 8 years.

How do you come to that assumption? Remember, there was an election in 2004 based on Bush's first four years in office, and Bush won that election with a majority of the vote, something NO democrat has ever done except for Franklin Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson. This election at best is based on the past four years, but with most of it focused on 2008, especially the last two months.

it has been a clear, decisive rebuke of the GOP, and especially Bush, and especially Iraq, who have been shattered as a party by Barack Obama.

The Republicans lost control of the Senate and House in 2006, not 2008. Barack Obama did not have much to do with the Democrats winning the House and Senate in 2006.

Most of the public supports John McCain when it comes to the issue of Iraq, and Barack Obama will have to decide if he really wants to radically change US policy in Iraq given the tremendous success of the past two years. The commander of US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan is General Patraeus. If Barack Obama defers to him on Iraq and Afghanistan, he will essentially be defering to Bush on both issues.

don't let anyone fool you into thinking it was only about the stock market. it was about how each man *handled* the crisis, and how Obama destroyed John McCain in all three debates, and the foolish pick of Sarah Palin, easily the least prepared candidate on a ticket in modern political history. McCain disqualified himself with that single action, and this man who so many worshiped as some sort of apolitical masculine military ideal was revealed to be nothing more than a partisian political hack.

Look at the polls before and after the financial crises hit. That tells the story. Change 850,000 votes in a few former red states, and John McCain is your President despite all of this.

John McCain is still by far the best nominee for President this country has had in a generation. 50 years of experience in Foreign Policy and National Security, while Obama will be struggling to learn on the job. A history of actually working with members of the other party and opposing his own party. When has Obama opposed his own party on anything significant?

the GOP has been thoroughly trounced, embarrassed, and defeated. the monsters who have been in charge since 1994 have been vanquished.

Guess which party will be picking up seats in the House and Senate in 2010?:wink:

Guess which President is at risk of being a one timer if he votes and supports the same policies he did as a Senator with one of the most liberal voting records. Its a center right country that elected Obama yesterday because of their current economic and financial situation. If Obama does not move away from his political base and the political positions of many in here the country will be sending him back to Illinois in 2012.

Ah yes, time to start spinning the figures instead of comparing them to the relevant numbers, ie, the gap between their percentage and their opponents' percentages.

Gore actually beat Bush in the popular vote
Kerry trailed by ~2.5%
McCain trailed by 6% - well over twice the gap that Bush enjoyed over Kerry.

If I beat you in basketball by 25 points, that's a sound victory. If you beat me by 60, well then, that's a tsunami.

Both statistics are relevant. But can't claim that winning the Presidency with 50.7% of the vote is an insignificant victory and then claim that Obama getting 52% of the vote is an overwhelming TSUNAMI like victory.

Plus, the AVERAGE presidential election margin of victory is 9.7%. The majority of Presidential elections, nearly 70%, were won with the margin of victory greater than 6 percent.

Look at the polls before and after the financial crises hit. That tells the story. Change 850,000 votes in a few former red states, and John McCain is your President despite all of this.

You've previously demonstrated that, unfortunately, you have limited understanding of financial and economic matters.

Just to let you know, the financial crises didn't first hit in September. That assumption is completely inaccurate. The interbank markets first seized up a full year before that, in fact. Countrywide, a huge mortgage lending company, went bankrupt - I forget exactly when - but it was certainly many months before the most recent crisis.

Remember, there was an election in 2004 based on Bush's first four years in office, and Bush won that election with a majority of the vote, something NO democrat has ever done except for Franklin Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson.

Please play again.

You've previously demonstrated that, unfortunately, you have limited understanding of financial and economic matters.

Just to let you know, the financial crises didn't first hit in September. That assumption is completely inaccurate. The interbank markets first seized up a full year before that, in fact. Countrywide, a huge mortgage lending company, went bankrupt - I forget exactly when - but it was certainly many months before the most recent crisis.

Just to let you know, this is politics and from the voting publics perspective, it hit in the middle of September. The true technical start is irrelevant with respect to the election.

Then you should probably start saying what you really mean rather than post stuff like this:

And what would be wrong with being liked by Medvedev or Chavez? Does that automatically make Obama evil if they are liked by someone you consider evil? What kind of logic is that? I'd much rather my president be liked by these men rather than hated, because it's much easier to not talk and throw bombs at someone you hate. I guess that's something the right doesn't understand.

:shame:

Stop it.

they've made it very clear that they will insinuate that gay people are child molesters in order to pass discriminatory legislation.

they have no argument. that's been demonstrated in here over and over again as i, and countless others in these threads, have and will continue to demolish their arguments.

i don't care if i'm coming off like an a-hole. i will not be presented as a threat to families, children, society, etc.

i will not.

:sigh:

:hug:
You are not coming off as an asshole......... this is the type of abhorrent, venomous LIES that have been perpetuated for a long time, to keep your right rights away.

this is a single piece in a puzzle, whereas the cultural divide in the Baby Boom generation seems much more all-encompassing, and came to a cultural head in the 2000 election where we saw for the first time a real red/blue divide.
Obama rewrote the map.

Well, there IS still a serious divide from the most staunch quarters from those who believe
1) that their version of Christianity IS THE way, let alone any other relegion or Aetheists;
2) that "The Other" (be "they" of color, G/L/B/TG, who want to treat women like "broodmares" (the health of an unborn child over the fully living life of a woman,
3) those who are HORRIFIED by strong & smart women (whichever race ) and still want to take away the Vote from women and people of color........

further, John McCain was the most popular politician in the country in 2004. he was even offered Kerry's VP slot. he's as non-Republican as Republicans get, and he spent his entire campaign distinguishing himself from Bush.

and yet, he was still trounced by someone relatively brand new.

we now see that John McCain is nothing more than a vicious, hollow, ugly, paranoid, vapid, cynical politician who's entire post Keating 5 political career has been a carefully managed media creation.

its sad, but the Myth of John McCain the Maverick has been put to bed.

along with the GOP.

Obama absolutely crushed with the youth vote -- 66 to 32%!!!!!!! and if the GOP continues to be a party that caters to religious fanatics and Dixieland racists, it has no future at all. as states like VA, NC, GA and the entire southwest continue to diversify and as college educated young people continue to move to these states, they will become bluer and bluer and bluer. had McCain not been from AZ, it, too, would have been a major swing state.

the future is bleak, Republicans.

we now see that John McCain is nothing more than a vicious, hollow, ugly, paranoid, vapid, cynical politician who's entire post Keating 5 political career has been a carefully managed media creation.

Only a tiny ignorant minority segment of America actually thinks about John McCain that way.

Yep. Different worldviews. That's for sure.

So I guess those 'bullheaded white women' (angry bitter Hillary supporters) took the horns out of their heads..

Women's support proves key

Female voters heavily favor Obama, helping propel historic victory
By JoNel Aleccia
Health writer
updated 12:15 a.m. ET, Wed., Nov. 5, 2008

For the first time in at least two election cycles, Mary Gockowski voted for a Democrat Tuesday, surprising herself and joining the ranks of women who switched their allegiance from 2004.

The 52-year-old Ohio preschool worker was among women in key battleground states to support Sen. Barack Obama over Sen. John McCain, helping push Obama over the top for his historic victory.

The margin was narrow but telling in hard-fought Ohio, where 54 percent of women chose Obama, compared with 53 percent in 2004, when President Bush won a narrow victory in the state over Sen. John Kerry.

In Pennsylvania, another crucial state where McCain had pinned his hopes, 60 percent of women opted for Obama, compared with 54 percent who went for Kerry in 2004. In New Hampshire, exit polls suggested that 63 percent of women supported Obama, compared with 54 percent who supported Kerry four years ago.

Women voters typically are crucial to a Democratic presidential victory, and Obama was pulling 55 percent of their votes, compared with 43 percent for McCain, according to exit polls. Obama and McCain were nearly even among male voters, who split 49-49 percent.

Although Gockowski voted twice for President Bush, she said a single crucial decision diverted her from McCain.

"I do like Barack Obama, but Sarah Palin was the nail in the coffin," she said. "I objected to (McCain's) judgment and to the idea that, 'Here, we'll give another female to the women of American because they might be dumb enough to vote for a female because of her sex.'"

She wasn't alone. Four in 10 voters overall said Palin was an important factor in deciding whom to vote for.

The Alaskan governor and vice presidential nominee figured large in a presidential campaign that featured historic firsts for female candidates. Across the country, women swamped polling stations Tuesday, drawn to a race that guaranteed change through either race or gender.

Women voters outnumbered men nationally by about 53-47 percent, according to exit polls. Women make up not only more of the general population, but also more of adult voters, historic census figures show.

'Women decided this election'

“He just captured me,” said Letitia Hughes, 42, an African-American mother of three from Fishers, Ind., a battleground state.

While some 95 percent of African-American men and 96 percent of women voted for Obama, according to exit polls, white voters generally favored McCain. But 46 percent of white women voted for Obama, according to exit polls, compared with only 41 percent of white men.

"If men split evenly between Obama and McCain, then women decided this election," said Debbie Walsh, director of the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers University.

Monique Craig, a 40-year-old white administrative assistant from Boca Raton, Fla., was among those who landed in the McCain camp.

“I support (McCain) because I’m afraid if Obama gets elected we’re going to go to a more socialistic government,” said Craig. “I don’t feel like he’s strong enough to run the country with any kind of terrorist attack.”

Craig, who supported Mitt Romney in the primaries, said she liked McCain’s choice of Palin as his running mate, but thought a different woman might have improved his chances.

“My daughters and I loved Sarah Palin, but I would have been happier with (Secretary of State) Condoleezza Rice,” she said.

Analysts expected Tuesday’s crowds to include record numbers of single women voters, who could help fuel a “marriage gap” that could be more significant than a gender gap, or the difference between how men and women support the same candidate. The Women’s Voices. Women Vote Action Fund registered 900,000 new unmarried female voters, according to Page Gardner, the advocacy agency’s president.

“There’s something about being on your own as a woman in this country that is politically significant,” Gardner said. "Unmarried women are at the razor's edge of the economic crisis."

The gap between Obama and McCain was closer among married women. Those with children supported Obama 53 percent to 45 percent for McCain, exit polls showed. Those without children favored McCain 54 percent to 44 percent.

70 percent of single women choose Obama

But at least 70 percent of unmarried women with and without children supported Obama, a margin of more than 2-to-1. By contrast, 53 percent of unmarried women opted for Kerry in 2004, said Anna Greenberg, a Democratic pollster and vice president of the research firm Greenberg, Quinlan Rosner.

“I just really wanted change,” said Jen Dudley, 22, who is unmarried and works as an accountant at a small business in Richmond, Va. She waited an hour and 40 minutes to cast her vote in the battleground state.

What does she hope an Obama victory will change?

“Everything, I hope,” said Dudley.

the above proves that, by picking Palin, 55% of women agree that McCain proved he is nothing more than a vicious, hollow, ugly, paranoid, vapid, cynical politician who's entire post Keating 5 political career has been a carefully managed media creation.

Obama absolutely crushed with the youth vote -- 66 to 32%!!!!!!! .

Yes, Obama did best with the "young and dumb" vote. As age increases, Obama's level of support decreases.

it has no future at all. as states like VA, NC, GA and the entire southwest continue to diversify and as college educated young people continue to move to these states, they will become bluer and bluer and bluer

Which states will increase in electoral value by 2012, red states like Texas and Georgia. What states will decrease in electoral value by 2012, blue states like New York and Pennsylvania.

the future is bleak, Republicans.

Guess which party will be increasing the number of seats it has in congress in 2010?

Guess which party will be blamed for anything the public does not like over the next four years?

The Democrats certainly have an opportunity, but if their not careful, they could easily blow it. Its still a center right country.

the above proves that, by picking Palin, 55% of women agree that McCain proved he is nothing more than a vicious, hollow, ugly, paranoid, vapid, cynical politician who's entire post Keating 5 political career has been a carefully managed media creation.

Obama is the first candidate to win the Presidency without winning the white vote since Clinton did in 1992. McCain also won the majority of those age 45 and over, as well as the majority of white college educated demographic.

I find these 'Our party will now govern for decades. Your party will be consigned to the dustbin of history' assumptions, from both sides, utterly pointless, history generally proves them wrong.

All we know is that currently the country favours a Democratic governance.

Strongbow, I remember a few years ago you were talking about the Republicans being the natural party of the Presidency but (and I realise arithmetic is not your strong point) I did the math and, over, roughly speaking, a 30-40 year horizon, it's actually more or less even stevens between time in office for Democrat and Repub presidents.

Back
Top Bottom