2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had to stagger off to bed before they formally called Indiana, though I could already see from the county-by-county returns that McCain would never make up the difference in the handful of counties where a few votes were still out.

What a good feeling to wake up this morning and see we'd gone blue against the projected odds for the first time in 44 years. :)

On a more minor note, I was also happy to see that in the end the Jewish vote went 77-78% for Obama, depending on whose exit poll you're looking at--better than Kerry's results, and much better than polls a few months back were suggesting.

On a more minor note, I was also happy to see that in the end the Jewish vote went 77-78% for Obama, depending on whose exit poll you're looking at--better than Kerry's results, and much better than polls a few months back were suggesting.

i guess Sarah Silverman's schleping really did work :wink:

This morning I couldn't help but think about what is was like this same exact morning 4 and 8 years ago...

And I have to say I'm really glad(at least I haven't seen any yet) there isn't any gloating, bragging, in your face mentality this time around. I think it was honarable that folks applauded McCain last night as Obama talked about his service.

And I couldn't help but think about the tone in here 4 years ago, with the "this election means Christians are done sitting in the back of the bus" and the very venomous tone that some took in "their win". Although I have a feeling we've lost or are losing most of our conservative leaning friends, but I hope those that are here and those that will come feel welcome.

I read some comments from an acquaintance who was at Grant Park last night, and he said there were some boos when McCain was mentioned, but it wasn't many, and they were quickly drowned out by cheers and applause.

I read some comments from an acquaintance who was at Grant Park last night, and he said there were some boos when McCain was mentioned, but it wasn't many, and they were quickly drowned out by cheers and applause.

Yeah, I'm sure there were a few, it's to be expected, but I'm glad the overall response wasn't anything like McCain's speech, or their rallies for that matter.

last night was amazingly positive. McCain wasn't even mentioned. it was just cheers and hugs and tears and dancing, and despite the "good-bye" chants aimed at the White House, it was less "fuck you, bush" than "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out," if you catch my distinction.

Well you're definately not talking about the last 8 years.

Two wrongs don't make a right:wink:

Is this your belief with every change in guard, or just when we vote Democrat? Is the left only an experiment, while the right is the norm?

The left are radicals and the right are reactionaries. Conservatives always have to decide "what are we trying to conserve?" This is just basic political science. Fiscal conservatives are happy now to try and rebuild the republican party. The republicans had too much power and got complacent and left their fiscal conservative values out the window and any McCain Palin attempts to change that were too late for people to back them in the end.

Now that conservatives can be back seat drivers we can start asking questions:

How is Obama going to deal with this?

Russia to station missiles near Poland | Reuters

The enemy is still playing the chess game.

I, so vividly, remember how I felt both those days.

It was so wonderful to wake up today with this feeling. :hyper:

Wasn't it, though? Even though I have some personal shit that has been bothering me for awhile, today just felt good and I actually have been able to relax and forget about some of the stuff I have to deal with...

8 years ago I remember waking up shaking my head and had this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. And then 4 years ago I just woke up hung over because I was drinking to forget...:wink:

Fiscal conservatives are happy now to try and rebuild the republican party. The republicans had too much power and got complacent and left their fiscal conservative values out the window and any McCain Palin attempts to change that were too late for people to back them in the end.

you realize that the Republican Party has told fiscal conservatives that they no longer have a place in the party, that the GOP is now exclusively a Dixie-based party of religious fanatics and racists?

wow. if this is true, then Obama is every bit as lethal as the Clintons, only better:

Pennsylvania Head Fake?

A Political Wire reader suggests Sen. Barack Obama's campaign tricked Sen. John McCain into competing in Pennsylvania.

1. Obama's campaign learns McCain has just $37 million entering October.

2. Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell says he's "nervous" that McCain is gaining ground.

3. Obama's team "leaks" an internal poll proving Rendell's anxiety.

4. McCain pulls back in other states to "flood" Pennsylvania with resources.

In the end, Obama won Pennsylvania by double digits. As First Read notes, "Lost in Obama's impressive 11-point win in Pennsylvania is that McCain's Western PA strategy worked. The problem? There weren't enough votes out there."

Two wrongs don't make a right:wink:
Actually last night we took a step in fixing what this country has screwed up in the past 8 years. The last 8 years wasn't about hope or action to improve, it was about wrapping ourselves in American flags and pretending we're great and don't need anyone else.

The left are radicals and the right are reactionaries. Conservatives always have to decide "what are we trying to conserve?" This is just basic political science.
You really do yourself a disservice when you make these hugely inaccurate generalizations.

Obama will become your Blair. Blair came in with an air of change and confidence and we all know how that ended. Does that swagger remind you of anyone ?

Dont expect too much America.

Obama will become your Blair. Blair came in with an air of change and confidence and we all know how that ended. Does that swagger remind you of anyone ?

You're probably too young to remember Thatcher.....

Well Bush is a bazillion times worse, I spent many years living in a Thatcher regime

Obama has some awfully high expectations to live up to. It's inevitable that some people will end up disappointed by whatever he does.

All we can do is wait and see how it all plays out, and what kind of president he will be.

Obama has some awfully high expectations to live up to. It's inevitable that some people will end up disappointed by whatever he does.

All we can do is wait and see how it all plays out, and what kind of president he will be.

Impossible. I have to know EXACTLY what the next four years will be like so I can decide whether or not to hate him a lot or a little today.

I liked Blair.

I remember watching Blair have those face to face meetings with the House of Lords or Commons or both and thinking, "Wow, I wish our leader could actually complete a sentence coherently and MAKE A FUCKING POINT the way this guy can." My expectations aren't sky high. I'll take Blair. I think Obama will be fine. He doesn't swagger as much as he hangs back.

My expectation is that Barack Obama will end the constant fucking up that our government has done for the past eight years.

My biggest concern now is that with the Democrats having damn near complete control, they're really going to do some STUPID shit the next couple of years. :sigh: It's like ya just can't win. I'm hoping Obama is smart enough and in control enough to prevent the stupidity from getting out of control.

"Among the more unusual measures on this year’s ballots was one in Florida that would repeal an old clause in the state constitution that allows legislators to bar Asian immigrants from owning land. The repeal would be symbolic, as equal protection laws would prevent lawmakers from applying the ban. With 78 percent of precincts reporting just before 11 p.m., the vote was close, with 52 percent voting to preserve the clause."

Florida. :cute:

Back
Top Bottom