2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i just know that Obama wants to turn us into South Canuckistan.

Where's the map from a few years back of "Jesusland"" and the rest of North Amercia?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
This is just flat out false, a lie that Hannity and Rush have sold you. And polling around the world shows Obama is liked very much so far.
Polling? My point was that you don't want some leaders to like you because if they do it's because of what you let them get away with.

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least. Are they included in favoritability polling?

Russian-American relations have historically been an important factor for stability in the world and have great importance and sometimes key significance for resolving many of today's international and regional problems. I hope for a constructive dialogue with you based on trust and consideration of each other's interests. ~ Medvedev

In this day of hope for the American people, President Hugo Chávez, on behalf of the people of Venezuela, congratulates the people of the United States and President-elect Barack Obama for his important victory in an election that has captured the attention of international public opinion. This historic election of an African American to lead the most powerful country in the world is a sign that the era of change which has taken root in South America could be reaching the doorstep of the United States. From the homeland of Simón Bol�var, we are convinced the time has come to establish new relations between our countries and in our region, based on the principles of respect for sovereignty, equality and true cooperation. From every corner of the world cries have rung out calling for change in international relations and the construction, as the Liberator Simón Bol�var would have said, of a world of balance, peace and of human coexistence. The government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela reaffirms its will and determination to build a constructive bilateral agenda, founded upon the absolute respect of sovereignty, for the well-being of the peoples of Venezuela and the United States. ~ Chavez

Does anybody really believe this cheese? Co-existence? Are you kidding me?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

(AP)WASHINGTON -- An emotional Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reveled Wednesday in Barack Obama's election, calling it an "extraordinary step forward" for the nation.

A child of the segregated deep South who became the highest-ranking African-American woman ever in American government and was once considered a potential Republican presidential nominee, Rice called the Democratic president-elect "inspirational" and said his victory was proof of America's promise.

"This was an exercise in American democracy of which Americans across the political spectrum are justifiably proud," she said.

"As an African-American, I'm especially proud," said Rice, her eyes glistening with emotion, "because this is a country that's been through a long journey, in terms of overcoming wounds and making race" less of a factor in life. "That work is not done, but yesterday was obviously an extraordinary step forward."

"One of the great things about representing this country is that it continues to surprise," she told reporters at the State Department at a hastily arranged briefing just hours before leaving Washington for the Middle East on a peacemaking trip. "It continues to renew itself. It continues to beat all odds and expectations."

Born and raised in Birmingham, Ala., at the height of the civil rights struggle, Rice herself overcame numerous obstacles and stereotypical low expectations. She speaks frequently about how improbable her rise to the corridors of power may seem. But she also notes that she succeeded the first black secretary of state, Colin Powell, and the first female to hold the job, Madeleine Albright.

"You just know that Americans are not going to be satisfied until they really do form that perfect union," she said, referring to the preamble of the Constitution, which begins: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union ..."

"And while the perfect union may never be in sight, we just keep working at it and trying," Rice said.

Aides said Rice would likely call Obama, as well as vanquished Republican presidential nominee John McCain, later Wednesday.

She said McCain had been "gracious" in defeat and called him "a great patriot."

"I want to note that President-elect Obama was inspirational and I'm certain he will continue to be," Rice said.

She never said who she planned to vote for, but had hinted broadly that she would support McCain by repeatedly stressing that she is a Republican.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #244
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Polling? My point was that you don't want some leaders to like you because if they do it's because of what you let them get away with.

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least.
Hey PO, 1973 called, they want their paranoia back........

It's global economy, and there are global security issues.

You want trade cooperation ? You want security cooperation ? You want intelligence sharing ? You want better IP protection ? You better have people that like you.......

I have a lot of family overseas in multiple countries in Europe, and I deal with Asia on a daily basis, everyone was cheering wildly for Obama; the world just got a wee bit safer today, and Americans are going to be treated nicer today than they were yesterday.

Of course, that won't matter to you if you're living in a bunker.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I can't recall such a celebration of a presidential elect. Last night was truly memorable.
The Celebration for B CLinton in '92 was almost as big!

What made this bigger was at least several things, including obviously the election of an African American (but like the Palin choice - she was a woman but against almost everything I believe, and not too smart either, so I never would have voted for McSame & her anyway) .

ANd the fact that after 4 years of Bush 41 a lot of people were ready to throw him out, and a lot of people got a better life under the B Clinton Administration, then had that take away - some during Bush 43's 1st term, and surely many more in this one......

...so in MHO it made that much more aching of people suffering to get the hell out of Bush/Chenny/McCain/Palin Americaland!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
Given the widespread anger at Wall Street right now, I have some doubts. She probably still would have won, but many voters would have turned against a New York politician.
Maybe, but she won a lot of rural NY State people's respect over her Senate term....

I've always heard she is much warmer & funnier in small group interactions.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #247
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post

I hope Obama doesn't want to be liked by these people at least. Are they included in favoritability polling?
Then you should probably start saying what you really mean rather than post stuff like this:

Quote:
What the left doesn't get is that the rest of the world won't like the U.S. anyways and they want the U.S. superpower status to diminish out of envy.
And what would be wrong with being liked by Medvedev or Chavez? Does that automatically make Obama evil if they are liked by someone you consider evil? What kind of logic is that? I'd much rather my president be liked by these men rather than hated, because it's much easier to not talk and throw bombs at someone you hate. I guess that's something the right doesn't understand.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #248
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
Hey PO, 1973 called, they want their paranoia back........

It's global economy, and there are global security issues.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #249
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
It was truly amazing, and memorable.

I am just glad that I was able to watch history in the making.
Regardless of how you feel about Jesse Jackson or Oprah, I was touched by their emotions.
I already had cried the first 5 mins after OB's victory was announced, and as soon as I saw Jessie crying i started al over again, and when I saw other people crying, and then just on my own taking the enormity of what had happened in a little more..

I'm still overjoyed and in a happy shock!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #250
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
for a non-incumbent, for a black man to win Virginia and likely North Carolina, to turn bluer states blue and turn red states more purple, for a man with a muslim name, for the democratic gains in the house and the senate, for a candidate running in what is still a very polarized country, yes, this was indeed a TSUNAMI.
If 4th quarter GDP contracts again as it did in the 3rd quarter of this year, it will be the first time that a Presidential election took place during a recession since before World War II. Which party benefits from such economic troubles, the one in the White House, or the one not in the White House?

Gallup already showed that Obama's race actually helped him more than it hurt him. The number of people more likely to vote for Obama because of his race was double that of the number who said they were less likely to vote for him because of his race.

Quote:
the voters rejected John McCain and George W. Bush and the entire past 8 years.
How do you come to that assumption? Remember, there was an election in 2004 based on Bush's first four years in office, and Bush won that election with a majority of the vote, something NO democrat has ever done except for Franklin Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson. This election at best is based on the past four years, but with most of it focused on 2008, especially the last two months.

Quote:
it has been a clear, decisive rebuke of the GOP, and especially Bush, and especially Iraq, who have been shattered as a party by Barack Obama.
The Republicans lost control of the Senate and House in 2006, not 2008. Barack Obama did not have much to do with the Democrats winning the House and Senate in 2006.

Most of the public supports John McCain when it comes to the issue of Iraq, and Barack Obama will have to decide if he really wants to radically change US policy in Iraq given the tremendous success of the past two years. The commander of US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan is General Patraeus. If Barack Obama defers to him on Iraq and Afghanistan, he will essentially be defering to Bush on both issues.

Quote:
don't let anyone fool you into thinking it was only about the stock market. it was about how each man *handled* the crisis, and how Obama destroyed John McCain in all three debates, and the foolish pick of Sarah Palin, easily the least prepared candidate on a ticket in modern political history. McCain disqualified himself with that single action, and this man who so many worshiped as some sort of apolitical masculine military ideal was revealed to be nothing more than a partisian political hack.
Look at the polls before and after the financial crises hit. That tells the story. Change 850,000 votes in a few former red states, and John McCain is your President despite all of this.

John McCain is still by far the best nominee for President this country has had in a generation. 50 years of experience in Foreign Policy and National Security, while Obama will be struggling to learn on the job. A history of actually working with members of the other party and opposing his own party. When has Obama opposed his own party on anything significant?

Quote:
the GOP has been thoroughly trounced, embarrassed, and defeated. the monsters who have been in charge since 1994 have been vanquished.
Guess which party will be picking up seats in the House and Senate in 2010?

Guess which President is at risk of being a one timer if he votes and supports the same policies he did as a Senator with one of the most liberal voting records. Its a center right country that elected Obama yesterday because of their current economic and financial situation. If Obama does not move away from his political base and the political positions of many in here the country will be sending him back to Illinois in 2012.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #251
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ah yes, time to start spinning the figures instead of comparing them to the relevant numbers, ie, the gap between their percentage and their opponents' percentages.

Gore actually beat Bush in the popular vote
Kerry trailed by ~2.5%
McCain trailed by 6% - well over twice the gap that Bush enjoyed over Kerry.

If I beat you in basketball by 25 points, that's a sound victory. If you beat me by 60, well then, that's a tsunami.

Both statistics are relevant. But can't claim that winning the Presidency with 50.7% of the vote is an insignificant victory and then claim that Obama getting 52% of the vote is an overwhelming TSUNAMI like victory.

Plus, the AVERAGE presidential election margin of victory is 9.7%. The majority of Presidential elections, nearly 70%, were won with the margin of victory greater than 6 percent.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #252
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Look at the polls before and after the financial crises hit. That tells the story. Change 850,000 votes in a few former red states, and John McCain is your President despite all of this.
You've previously demonstrated that, unfortunately, you have limited understanding of financial and economic matters.

Just to let you know, the financial crises didn't first hit in September. That assumption is completely inaccurate. The interbank markets first seized up a full year before that, in fact. Countrywide, a huge mortgage lending company, went bankrupt - I forget exactly when - but it was certainly many months before the most recent crisis.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Remember, there was an election in 2004 based on Bush's first four years in office, and Bush won that election with a majority of the vote, something NO democrat has ever done except for Franklin Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson.
Please play again.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #254
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You've previously demonstrated that, unfortunately, you have limited understanding of financial and economic matters.

Just to let you know, the financial crises didn't first hit in September. That assumption is completely inaccurate. The interbank markets first seized up a full year before that, in fact. Countrywide, a huge mortgage lending company, went bankrupt - I forget exactly when - but it was certainly many months before the most recent crisis.
Just to let you know, this is politics and from the voting publics perspective, it hit in the middle of September. The true technical start is irrelevant with respect to the election.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #255
She's the One

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Then you should probably start saying what you really mean rather than post stuff like this:

And what would be wrong with being liked by Medvedev or Chavez? Does that automatically make Obama evil if they are liked by someone you consider evil? What kind of logic is that? I'd much rather my president be liked by these men rather than hated, because it's much easier to not talk and throw bombs at someone you hate. I guess that's something the right doesn't understand.

Stop it.