2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things have been quiet in the White House, almost too quiet...

Something I've been thinking about...

Now a couple months ago, I would have thought Bush would be one of the lamest lame ducks we've had in awhile, but then all of a sudden a shit storm hits. So he's going to this global summit, does Obama get to go? I know today he's had his first top secret briefing...

Do we see Bush actually doing anything in the next couple of months?

Any suprise pardons?

Let's speculate...

There's a significant minority of white gay men who are fiscally and even to some degree socially conservative...perhaps compared to '04, that bloc perceived fewer potential adverse consequences for gay rights in voting Republican this time around. That's just speculation, but I'd think it'd have to be something like that to explain that significant a shift in an election where virtually every other demographic shifted in the opposite direction.

Depressing for many Southern progressives, heartening for Democrats everywhere else.

:yes: Actually, my uncle happens to be one of those men. Extremely fiscally conservative, though he is fairly socially liberal. I don't know how he voted in this election; I suppose he might have voted Obama, but I doubt it.

Transition is in full gear at federal agencies...

At work, we are preparing briefings about our office's responsibilities and their current status!

One of the Union leaders, even received a letter from President Elect Obama stressing his belief in how the EPA will be better funded to protect the env't .......clean water...........etc.

I was extremely happy!

At work, we are preparing briefings about our office's responsibilities and their current status!

One of the Union leaders, even received a letter from President Elect Obama stressing his belief in how the EPA will be better funded to protect the env't .......clean water...........etc.

I was extremely happy!

woohoo! awesome..:up:

an email sent to me from the inside:

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade in 2008. The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote. To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother. The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Every one applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream. " She sat down. The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream. " She surely would say more. She did not have to. A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it. She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a land slide.

Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, and fifty percent of America reacts like nine year olds. They want ice cream. The other fifty percent know they're going to have to feed the cows, milk the cows, process the milk, make the ice cream, and wash the dishes

:up::sexywink:

I was extremely happy!

Barack and roll.. :up:

Is this from the same person who convinced you that Obama visiting grandma was "suspect" or are you still pretending like you didn't fall for that shameful crock of shit?

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade in 2008. The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote. To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother. The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Every one applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream. " She sat down. The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream. " She surely would say more. She did not have to. A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it. She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a land slide.

Every time Barack Obama opens his mouth he offers ice cream, and fifty percent of America reacts like nine year olds. They want ice cream. The other fifty percent know they're going to have to feed the cows, milk the cows, process the milk, make the ice cream, and wash the dishes

:up::sexywink:

Nice story, but crap analogy...

Everytime McCain spoke he told me Country First but at the end of the day I saw him put himself and his cronies first, and at the end of the day 50% will vote with their own self interest...

Nice story, but crap analogy...

Everytime McCain spoke he told me Country First but at the end of the day I saw him put himself and his cronies first, and at the end of the day 50% will vote with their own self interest...

No, you didn't do it right! You have to weave it into a saccharine story about children! Won't someone think of the children? :(

the fact that a person of color, especially of african descent, could be elected leader of a majority white country, is a stunning achievement when one considers that, as history goes, colonialism and slavery are fairly recent events.

that's why it's a game changer. that's why the election of Obama changes the world. it shifts a centuries old racially based power structure.

he could turn out to be a crap president. absolutely. but, given history, the fact that he was elected at all is a stunning reminder that we are in the future, and that progress has been made.

the fact that a person of color, especially of african descent, could be elected leader of a majority white country, is a stunning achievement when one considers that, as history goes, colonialism and slavery are fairly recent events.

that's why it's a game changer. that's why the election of Obama changes the world. it shifts a centuries old racially based power structure.

he could turn out to be a crap president. absolutely. but, given history, the fact that he was elected at all is a stunning reminder that we are in the future, and that progress has been made.
This kind of "elitist logic" is going to tear this country apart. :tsk:

More from my people:

In light of the outcome in this political race.... we should be reminded of these words.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

---- Abraham Lincoln

Is this from the same person who convinced you that Obama visiting grandma was "suspect" or are you still pretending like you didn't fall for that shameful crock of shit?

Why are you so mad at me about that?

You do realize that access to his official birth certificate was sealed the day after he returned from visiting Hawaii, and then his grandma died.

No you don't realize that, because it was kept out of the MSM.

Condolences regardless to the Obamas.

<>

That was actually written by a Presbyterian reverend named William JH Boetcker, ca. 1916...one of the longer-standing Lincoln hoaxes.

Last edited:
You do realize that access to his official birth certificate was sealed the day after he returned from visiting Hawaii, and then his grandma died.

No you don't realize that, because it was kept out of the MSM.

:banghead:

Main stream media didn't touch it because there wasn't anything to touch, just like they didn't touch that the moon landing was all faked...

If there was just a half ounce of truth the Republican party would have been all over it, and you are smart enough to know this.

Stick to posting emails that are attributed to the wrong person...

:banghead:

Main stream media didn't touch it because there wasn't anything to touch, just like they didn't touch that the moon landing was all faked...

If there was just a half ounce of truth the Republican party would have been all over it, and you are smart enough to know this.

QUOTE]

Tom Brokaw admitted that Obama was given a pass by the MSM and that we know little about him:

YouTube - Brokaw and Rose Admit They Don't Know Much About Obama.

<>

Back
Top Bottom