2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 13: Victory Lap - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #181
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:01 PM
It really was an amazing thing to see. There were lots of honking cars and groups wandering the streets in celebration around my neighborhood. Just watching the faces of those in the crowds in Grant Park & Times Square was very moving.

Metafilter has a great thread on yesterday:

Barack Obama is the next President of the United States | MetaFilter

A few great posts:

Quote:
People in Boston and Cambridge are roving in packs through the streets, screaming deliriously. Cars are going through intersections with horns blaring, a jubilant conversation in traffic. It's like the Sox won the World Series or something.

Waiting in front of Symphony Hall for the bus, a taxi driver pulled up to us and asked if my friend and I were going to Cambridge. We eyeballed him suspiciously for a second and asked why, and he said, "I don't care who you voted for. Free ride tonight." So we hopped in and listened to President-elect Obama[1]'s speech on the radio as the driver maneuvered carefully around throngs of marauding Northeastern students.

When we got to the Central Square cab stand, I asked the driver again if I couldn't give him even a little bit of money. He gestured at the radio and said, "In this man's name, no money." I told him I'd give him a hug, and he just laughed and said he'd save that for next time. We shook hands instead and I got out of the cab, feeling as though I were stepping out into a new world.
Quote:
It's just, it's simply unbelievable.

It is unbelievable that the work of millions of people without connections or clout or vast money or insider power, came together under the idea of reform, calmness, and rationality, with malice towards none and FUCKING GOT THEIR ODD-NAMED MINORITY SMARTY-PANTS-TALKER ELECTED In a LANDSLIDE

That measured appeals to intellect and fairness and being a fucking adult about things worked over base pandering and baiting

THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Redemption my friends.
What I'm really excited about now is whether Obama can come through on his challenge to create a new era of national service. Imagine the things this country could do with a mobilized and motivated mass of people from all walks of life like Obama has gathered through his campaign. It's highly idealistic, but then again so was the idea of an Obama presidency 21 months ago.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
another question: do you think HRC would have won last night?

By a much bigger margin
and with Obama as her V P.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Having been to Florida several times, I'm fairly confident that a good portion of the people voting to keep the Asians down are not confused at all.
Miami/Broward/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tallahassee isn't like that though.
I'm afraid the most rural places in the country are very much like the traditional South, with country music and hick bumpkins who search the Everglades for frogs to fry in the middle of the night (seriously). We did elect Obama, so give us a bit of credit!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Metafilter has a great thread on yesterday:

Barack Obama is the next President of the United States | MetaFilter

A few great posts:

Quote:
People in Boston and Cambridge are roving in packs through the streets, screaming deliriously. Cars are going through intersections with horns blaring, a jubilant conversation in traffic. It's like the Sox won the World Series or something.

Waiting in front of Symphony Hall for the bus, a taxi driver pulled up to us and asked if my friend and I were going to Cambridge. We eyeballed him suspiciously for a second and asked why, and he said, "I don't care who you voted for. Free ride tonight." So we hopped in and listened to President-elect Obama[1]'s speech on the radio as the driver maneuvered carefully around throngs of marauding Northeastern students.

When we got to the Central Square cab stand, I asked the driver again if I couldn't give him even a little bit of money. He gestured at the radio and said, "In this man's name, no money." I told him I'd give him a hug, and he just laughed and said he'd save that for next time. We shook hands instead and I got out of the cab, feeling as though I were stepping out into a new world.
ok, I'm not even American and that one made me tear up...
Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the 64% of the country who were inspired to vote, the highest since 1908? the fact that he got a majority of the popular vote, something that Clinton never did? the fact that he got a greater majority than LBJ?

(and it's likely that it will be more than 349 as i bet NC will go for BHO)

80% of America did not vote for Obama

he was only only able to get about 20% to vote for him.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
do you think HRC would have won last night?
Given the widespread anger at Wall Street right now, I have some doubts. She probably still would have won, but many voters would have turned against a New York politician.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #187
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
ok, I'm not even American and that one made me tear up...
Here's another one that got me very close:

Quote:
College undergraduate checking in.

Just watched everything unfold with a group of 12 or so others. As soon as it became clear that Obama was, indeed, going to win, we swarmed the streets--screaming, chanting, hugging, crying--along with hundreds (at least) of other students. For most of us, this was our first time voting in an election; many of us were still in middle school when the twin towers fell. We've had a lot on our minds since then. I have it easy, and I've still been worrying about how I'm going to get a job in this economy when I graduate; whether my friends are going to end up in (or get out of) Iraq; if my best friend, who is gay, is going to be able to marry; whether I'm going to be protected, mental illnesses and all; whether I'm going to be in this all together with the world, whether one day I'm going to be able to truly believe in my government and actually feel proud to say that, yes, I am from the United States of America.

As someone who has cringed at the red, white, and blue which I have long associated with corruption and bigotry--my mind is blown. This is my generation. This was my very first time voting and I did something. WE did something. We informed ourselves; we got ourselves to the polls; we did something. And it felt good. It felt so goddamn good.

Watching Obama's speech, with all of us crying--and my best friend, in the middle of that, just smiling and saying aloud, "I'm going to get married"--and my other friend, sobbing because who would have ever thought, and if only his dad could be there tonight--and me, just blending in, holding hands, silently crying and watching it all because it is bigger than I ever imagined--because the problems we face are bigger than I can fathom--but for once, for once I feel hope and pride. I feel empowered.

I will never, ever miss another election. I've seen the power and meaning of one. And it delights me--and inspires me--to know that I am not the only young person to feel this way. Welcome, 21st century. The world won't change tomorrow, but it's going to change. And I think we can change it for the better.

I feel good tonight.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #188
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the fact that he got a greater majority than LBJ?

do you have your own "special fact book" ?

1964 Presidential General Election Results
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
I think Hillary would definitely have won, though by a narrower margin.

I also think a McCain/Romney combination would have lost.

As the old cliche goes, it's the economy, stupid.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #190
Refugee

Local Time: 10:01 PM
ONE

Yesterday, as we were awaiting the results, I was thinking about the election of Obama, and I was wondering if there had ever, in human history, been a moment when so many people (and from so many different countries, background and cultures) had wanted the same thing at the same time. I thought
for sure this would be a record, if there was any way to measure.

Today, as I am reading and watching testimonies, comments, Facebook profile reactions, overheard conversations all day long, chats with friends and family, I have the most umbelievable feeling. People the world over, most of them complete strangers, are literally expressing my own feelings. I am looking at pictures of people smiling, crying and dancing, from Kenya to China, from India to the United States, and I feel like I am recognising each one of them as someone I know deeply.

Journalists, friends, random people are making over-the-top statements such as having regained hope in humanity, and yet I fully understand what they mean. So many are saying they have cried at some point since last night, while I have felt so often like I was the only who would shed tears for that kind of thing.

This feeling might not last for long, but right now I can sense the possibility of completely understanding every other human being, and every other human being completely understanding me.

And the most amazing thing is that watching Barack Obama make his acceptance speech last night, I knew that he knows that this is so much bigger than him.

(P.S. I am not American, but you all know this is also much bigger than the USA
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I think Hillary would definitely have won, though by a narrower margin.

I also think a McCain/Romney combination would have lost.

As the old cliche goes, it's the economy, stupid.

What Obama states would she not have won?

I believe she would have taken them all, some with bigger margins and she would have also have taken Arkansas, Missouri, West Virginia and possibly one or two other Southern States. And this is with Obama as her V P.

And you are right McCain / Romney would have done worse than Palin.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
By a much bigger margin
and with Obama as her V P.

i agree on the second part.

i'm not sure there's a state that HRC would have won that Obama didn't.

possibly MO. less likely, WVa.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
but it is my friend and I couldn't be happier...
Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
South Dakota failed to pass an abortion ban ballot initiative for the second time in two years. Very good result there, nice indicator of what happens when all the talk of banning abortion starts to look like a reality and people get a major case of buyer's remorse.

****THANK GOODNESS***

And of course, NOW we'll get a better SUPREME COURT! near with RELIEF!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Congrats to the US on making history happen.
Thanks!!!

GREAT PIC, Ace!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
80% of America did not vote for Obama

he was only only able to get about 20% to vote for him.

?