2008 Presidential Election : Third Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my absentee ballot in front of me right now and after the debate last night, gosh, I just don't know what to do.

About 200K Ohio voters have records discrepancies

Oct 15 08:18 PM US/Eastern
By TERRY KINNEY
Associated Press Writer 132 Comments

McCain Demands Obama To Explain Relationship With ACORN

CINCINNATI (AP) - Close to one in every three newly registered Ohio voters will end up on court-ordered lists being sent to county election boards because they have some discrepancy in their records, an elections spokesman said Wednesday.
Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner estimated that an initial review found that about 200,000 newly registered voters reported information that did not match motor-vehicle or Social Security records, Brunner spokesman Kevin Kidder said. Some discrepancies could be as simple as a misspelling, while others could be more significant.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati sided with the Ohio Republican Party on Tuesday and ordered Brunner to set up a system that provides those names to county elections boards. The GOP contends the information will help prevent fraud.

"Things already are in motion to comply," Kidder said. "We're working to establish these processes on how we can make this work. The computer work actually began last week."

About 666,000 Ohioans have registered to vote since January.

Brunner previously cross-checked new-voter registrations with databases run by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle and the Social Security Administration and made the results available online, but the 6th Circuit said the information was not accessible in a way that would help county election boards ferret out mismatches.

Brunner, a Democrat, told The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer on Wednesday that she is concerned the court decision is a veiled attempt at disenfranchising voters. Brunner said she'll urge counties not to force these people to use provisional ballots.

The court gave Brunner until Friday to get election boards the information but it was unclear whether that deadline would be met. The court set no penalty for missing the deadline.

County election officials were trying to determine Wednesday how they will respond once they get the information.

"I'm very concerned with these new requirements as we get closer to Election Day," said Steve Harsman, director of the Montgomery County Board of Elections in Dayton. He said his staff already is working 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

"It's clearly going to have an impact in regard to resources we have to expend to resolve discrepancies," said Jeff Hastings, chairman of the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections in Cleveland.

"We've had about 100,000 (registrations) since January and of those about 34,000 since the primary. We will do whatever is required of us."

Also Wednesday, the Ohio Republican Party said it has filed public records requests with all 88 counties for copies of forms submitted by newly registered voters, especially those who registered and cast an absentee ballot on the same day during a one-week window earlier this month.

Brunner has said that 13,141 Ohioans registered and voted immediately during the window.

"We've seen reports of fraudulent registrations, and we want to see those forms first-hand," said Jason Mauk, the state GOP's executive director.

___

I thought it wasn't voter fraud until someone actually tried to vote with that information.

In other words, it's not illegal until someone claiming to be Mickey Mouse actually shows up at the poll and tries to vote.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I know several people will. :)

This all reads to me like McCain and Co. are just sowing the seeds (har har) of delegitimizing Obama's win. So that if he wins, McCain and Co. can go around pointing fingers to say "Yeah, but they won by cheating."

So basically, same shit, different election, different side pointing the fingers. Debatable as to which side is cheating worse than the others from election to election.

(But I'm still waiting for proof that the Dems are doing anything bad here.)

Hey guys, I just got the inside scoop on the GOP ticket for 2012:

plumbersixpack.jpg

Maybe they shouldn't write every name off as voter fraud: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/bizarre-kids-names-172447.html :wink:

I don't know what Obama's, or McCain's which is interestingly not being questioned, long affiliation with the apparently nationwide operating organisation of ACORN directly has to do with a local branch of that organisation recently screwing up and doing a stupid disservice.

I thought it wasn't voter fraud until someone actually tried to vote with that information.

In other words, it's not illegal until someone claiming to be Mickey Mouse actually shows up at the poll and tries to vote.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I know several people will. :)

(But I'm still waiting for proof that the Dems are doing anything bad here.)

You're not wrong.

And there's no proof that the Dems did anything.

i said this a few pages back -- you are correct.

but being correct doesn't give good hysteria, nor does it correctly lay out an "explanation" for why the GOP is likely going to be trounced soon.

i said likely, bitches. back off.

‘Plumber’ says he has no plumbing license

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Joe the Plumber, America's most famous tradesman, said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one.

Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, the nickname Republican John McCain bestowed on him during Wednesday's presidential debate, said he works for a small plumbing company that does residential work. Because he works for someone else, he doesn't need a license, he said.

His boss, Al Newell of Newell Plumbing and Heating Co. of Toledo, is a licensed plumbing contractor in Toledo, records show. But anyone working under Newell should have a journeyman’s plumbing license or an apprenticeship license, officials said.

And the county Wurzelbacher and Newell live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses, but neither is licensed there
, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo.

Wurzelbacher, who voted in the Republican primary and indicated he backed McCain,

Rest of article here: 'Plumber' says he has no plumbing license - The Debates - MSNBC.com

Poor guy. He's turning out to be a real doofus, and it's all because McCain mentioned him 23 times. It's almost similar to Sarah Palin pimping out her pregnant daughter or her DS son in the public spotlight for her own benefit (other pediatricians in my clinic consider that child abuse, btw).

'Joe the plumber' and Obama’s tax plan - The Debates - MSNBC.com

Even if he did buy Newell Plumbing and Heating, Obama’s tax plan wouldn’t affect him. While Wurzelbacher told Obama that the business would be taxed at a higher rate because it grossed more than $250,000 a year, Ohio business records show the company’s estimated total annual revenue as only $100,000.

In any event, Obama’s tax plan specifies that the higher rate would apply only to revenue above the $250,000 threshold. For a company with revenue of $280,000, the top end of Wurzelbacher’s supposition, only the extra $30,000 would be taxed at a higher rate.

Analysts calculated that the extra tax would amount to $900, which would likely be more than offset by separate provisions of Obama’s plan: a 50 percent tax credit for health care and elimination of the capital gains tax for small businesses.

^He's looking more and more like Joe the Planted-by-McCain Plumber to me.

Focus attention on Obama's tax plan and show that McCain has a folksy, populist side.

Doesn't matter that the information is wrong.

My Dad, the Jessie Jackson supporter felt that McCain won last night. I did not. What scares me is I have never ever voted for a winning Presidential candidate before. I am about to vote for Obama.

Wait...you went from voting for Bush in 92 and Dole in 96 to voting for Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004? That seems pretty drastic. How do you get from one to the other?

Doesn't matter that the information is wrong.

That's true. Once people hear this, if they are inclined to believe it, they will, even if they find out later it has been proven false.

It's why campaigns use these tactics. Even if the assertions are proven false they've already done the job.

Wait...you went from voting for Bush in 92 and Dole in 96 to voting for Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004? That seems pretty drastic. How do you get from one to the other?

88 Dukakis
92 Perot
96 Dole
2000 Wrote in McCain
2004 I voted Libertarian

:O)

All over the map huh?

88 Dukakis
92 Perot
96 Dole
2000 Wrote in McCain
2004 I voted Libertarian

:O)

All over the map huh?

So what exactly are you afraid of? You voted four times(88, 92, 96, 04) for candidates that were known to not have a chance in hell, and one time(00) for a guy who wasn't even on the ballot. It's not like these were close elections where you voted for the loser...92 and 96 weren't close and 00 and 04 it's not as though you went with your gut, voting for the guy who came in close 2nd, and your gut was wrong. I'm not sure what it is that scares you.

88 Dukakis
92 Perot
96 Dole
2000 Wrote in McCain
2004 I voted Libertarian

I've had a similarly disjointed voting past.

84 Can't remember, assuming I even voted.
88 Bush (even though my union bosses told me I should vote for Dukakis)
92 Bush
96 Clinton
00 Gore
04 Kerry

Sometime in the early 90's is when I "found" myself politically and realized I was voting against my interests. But I was a car guy, and car enthusiasts typically vote republican. By 96, I realized there was more to life than just zooming around in my hotrod.

The way I read Dread's post is that given his losing voting record, he's afraid for Obama's campaign in light of the fact that he's voting for him. :)

I read it the same, but his voting past shouldn't cause any kind of superstitious fear like that because he was voting for people that had no chance in hell of winning anyway. It wasn't his vote that caused all of those guys to lose, it was the 200,000,000 other votes they didn't get(well, less than that for Dole). :wink:

Back
Top Bottom