2008 Presidential Election : Third Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
0000ty75

um, yeah, i went to a Project Runway season finale party where we had actual scorecards printed out from the website and we judged the various designers and we were all so disappointed that Leanne won -- the group decided that it should have been Korto. but what can you do? :shrug: nearly every season of PR has left me pretty much disappointed at the end. we drank champagne and had appetizers for dinner, and then we watched E! news and got the in-depth scoop on the Madonna/Guy Ritchie divorce.

there was a debate? is old Grandpa Walnuts still trying to shoo Barry and the kids from the schoolyard off his lawn?

um, yeah, i went to a Project Runway season finale party where we had actual scorecards printed out from the website and we judged the various designers and we were all so disappointed that Leanne won -- the group decided that it should have been Korto. but what can you do? :shrug: nearly every season of PR has left me pretty much disappointed at the end. we drank champagne and had appetizers for dinner, and then we watched E! news and got the in-depth scoop on the Madonna/Guy Ritchie divorce.

tee_ball.jpg

Alright, I'm just watching this right now on delay. I might be biased because I'm not American and therefore I have no idea why the Republican platform is attractive to anyone in possession of even the most basic common sense, but holy shit, Obama is nailing this. And I swear - I have not read anything of this thread, nor have I visited any other website, I have no idea what the formal call is on winner or loser here. I literally just got home from a work function and turned this on.

Just watched the debate. McCain wasn't as bad as I thought based on what I read here. It was probably his best debate. Unfortunately for him that's not saying a whole lot. His problems were less with his stances (I actually think the whole "Joe the Plumber" thing--which by the way, I retract my earlier post. I didn't realize he was a real person :reject:--was a legitimate issue. $200,000 may be too low a number to cap the middle class tax cut at. Advantage McCain on this one, I think). His problems were Nixonian. He just looked kind of foolish next to Obama, with his grimaces and smirks and so on. All he was missing was sweat and a five o'clock shadow.

I'm a little over the constant glorifying by the candidates of "the American people." A lot of the problems in our country, yes, including the current financial crisis belong very much in the laps of the much-vaunted American people. I think this distinction between the "evil Wall Street" people and the innocent average American is totally false. A lot of people who work in the financial services industry are just as "ordinary" as some farmer or plumber. Thanks guys, but I don't you need buttering me up with your flattery.

r3518017025.jpg

U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) (2nd R) hugs his wife Michelle Obama (R) and Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) (2nd L) greets his wife Cindy McCain (L) as they conclude their presidential debate at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, October 15, 2008.

Poor John is almost as goofy-looking in pics as his buddy Dubya.

capt.1924228c0ff44e7fa21291e052c2c7ca.presidential_debate_nyts143.jpg

capt.b2e3297739b64d8d95fae5aa97e2a578.presidential_debate_nyts146.jpg

"Do you see anyone in here who gives a shit about the middle class? Here, let me give you a quarter so you can call someone who does"

Ouch...
capt.cps.nxj50.161008042521.photo01.photo.default-512x363.jpg

$200,000 may be too low a number to cap the middle class tax cut at. Advantage McCain on this one, I think).

It's $250K.

Interestingly CNN had another focus group this morning. The one last night HATED Joe the Plumber. This morning I saw part of it and the family there said that not only did they hate Joe but they absolutely had no empathy for him. That if he was earning $300K per year in this economy, he should shut up and stop complaining given that they've had to declare bankruptcy and lose their home and so did half their neighbours.

I don't know why he would resonate. Do you honestly believe if I got on there and said, listen, I worked HARD - frankly his 10-12 hour days are less than what everyone in my field works, and now I'm making several hundred thousand dollars a year. This is the American dream. I am not voting for Obama because why should I pay more taxes? That's unfair?

Believe me that every single Republican out there would be complaining about greedy lawyers and how out of touch I was.

oh for fuck's sake I'm already sick of hearing about this idiot.

I can never get a plummer when I need one....maybe they're busy counting their $250,000.

and besides: you're making $250,000? Shut the fuck up and be greatful.

Just watched the debate. McCain wasn't as bad as I thought based on what I read here. It was probably his best debate. Unfortunately for him that's not saying a whole lot. His problems were less with his stances (I actually think the whole "Joe the Plumber" thing--which by the way, I retract my earlier post. I didn't realize he was a real person :reject:--was a legitimate issue. $200,000 may be too low a number to cap the middle class tax cut at. Advantage McCain on this one, I think). His problems were Nixonian. He just looked kind of foolish next to Obama, with his grimaces and smirks and so on. All he was missing was sweat and a five o'clock shadow.

I'm a little over the constant glorifying by the candidates of "the American people." A lot of the problems in our country, yes, including the current financial crisis belong very much in the laps of the much-vaunted American people. I think this distinction between the "evil Wall Street" people and the innocent average American is totally false. A lot of people who work in the financial services industry are just as "ordinary" as some farmer or plumber. Thanks guys, but I don't you need buttering me up with your flattery.

Poll Results
Who do you think won the debate?
John McCain 48% 293,869
Barack Obama 45% 280,138
Neither 7% 42,021

Note on Poll Results
Total Votes: 616,028

Poll Results
John McCain 48% 293,869
Barack Obama 45% 280,138
Neither 7% 42,021

Note on Poll Results

source ?

John McCain didn't just fail to get the game-changer he needed -- he was trounced in this third and final debate, if the instant post-debate polling provides any indication.

The results over at CBS show Obama to have scored the biggest victory to date: "Fifty-three percent of the uncommitted voters surveyed identified Democratic nominee Barack Obama as the winner of tonight's debate. Twenty-two percent said Republican rival John McCain won. Twenty-four percent saw the debate as a draw."

It is, the site writes, "a clean sweep" for the Illinois Democrat.

Over at CNN, a separate poll of several hundred debate watchers again favored the Democrat by large margins: 58 percent for Obama to McCain's 31 percent. Perhaps more importantly, McCain's favorable rating dropped 51 to 49 while his unfavorable rating increased from 45 percent to 49 percent. Obama ended up with 66 percent favorable rating.

Digging into the details the news is even worse for the Arizona Republican.

Asked who "expressed his views more clearly" 66 percent said Obama, 25 percent said McCain.
"Who spent their time attacking his opponent:" 80 percent said McCain, seven percent said Obama. "Who seemed to be the stronger leader:" 56 percent for Obama, 39 percent for McCain. And who was "more likeable:" 70 percent for Obama to McCain's 22 percent.

CNN also conducted a smaller focus group of 25 undecided likely voters in Ohio, and Obama won that too, 15-10.

Poll Results
John McCain 48% 293,869
Barack Obama 45% 280,138
Neither 7% 42,021

Note on Poll Results

The most striking result came on the favorability ratings. Although the focus group was officially undecided, it leaned towards McCain. Here were the favorability-unfavorability ratings for each candidate at the start:

McCain: 54 favorable / 34 unfavorable

Obama: 42 favorable / 42 unfavorable

Here's what the ratings looked like after the debate:

McCain: 50 favorable / 48 unfavorable

Obama: 72 favorable / 22 unfavorable

Interestingly, Obama's most popular answer was about education. The focus group seemed particularly pleased about his riff on asking parents to take more responsibility for their children. According to Greenberg, this is likely part of the reason the focus group felt that, overall, Obama shares their values.

Poll Results
John McCain 48% 293,869
Barack Obama 45% 280,138
Neither 7% 42,021

Note on Poll Results

Diamond-you're always coming up with these phony poll numbers without a source. Either quote one or don't post.

You might change your name to cubic zirconia.
It's more fitting.

Back
Top Bottom