2 British soldiers, police officer shot dead in Northern Ireland - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Terrorism is a hydra.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #32
New Yorker

This is sick. You cant let this shit die can you? You bunch of evil bastards.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

RT� News: PSNI officer shot in Craigavon - reports

Quote:
PSNI officer shot in Craigavon - reports
Monday, 9 March 2009 22:57
There are reports tonight that a PSNI officer has been shot in the Craigavon area.

The initial information suggests the shooting took place within the past hour and the victim is in a critical condition.

More news to follow.
BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | Police officer shot dead in town

Quote:
Police officer shot dead in town

A police officer has died following a shooting incident in Craigavon, County Armagh.

The incident is understood to have happened near Lismore High School at Brownlow.

Police came under attack while investigating suspicious activity near the school.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Also, most dissident republicans' activities have been inept. That they suddenly pull off this Tet offensive style coup is...rather odd.

Create the problem, then offer the solution to deal with the problem - the modus operandi of intelligence services.
While a questioning attitude is always valid I think at this point it probably was RIRA.

These people have no representation, no mandate, and must not be allowed to succeed.

Yolland, can the thread title be changed to reflect that there is unfortunately another fatality tonight?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #35
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I couldn't believe it when I read this news story last night - I'm only praying that this is in no way connected with the other shootings, and this is not some downward spiral and a way of things to come.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #36
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It won't be a downward spiral, but they might be able to mess around for a while, they're too small to do anything of a sustained nature. I doubt at this stage it's anymore than 3 blokes sitting around a table with a few arms, but they can certainly fuck things up for a bit.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
LJT did you watch UTV Special last night?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #38
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sorry not in NI at the moment, i'm at uni in Manchester...what was it on about?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So this time it was the Continuity IRA. Probably couldn't have the Real IRA get all the attention and decided they had to do something as well. Idiots.

And I've read of fliers passed around in some towns by unionists who call for revenge. Would be terrible if they started their own little war now.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
last night they said on Programme it's NOT a good idea to start this whole 'tit-for-tat' game.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #41
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It wouldn't be unionists passing out flyers...most likely still active loyalists...loyalists have been going at each other for years...they'll probably still be to hateful of each other to do anything, they've always been less co-ordinated than any of the IRAs. It should be said the Continuity IRA is a much smaller organisation than even the quite small Real IRA, they are known to work together on things due to their relative sizes.

To be honest the way people are talking this up, I don't think is helpful. Things aren't falling apart on the streets, and for that matter this is only a big deal because these attacks were successful. There have been loads of unsuccessful attacks over the last few years, and paramilitary shootings at least in my part of Belfast are still all too common, but they don't get reported nationally because they're on civilians (well sort of, depends whether you count ex-IRA dudes or drug dealers as civilians for the most part). People are playing into their hands by hyping it up as some sort of crisis in the peace process, an annoyance to said process but nothing major.

To be honest i'm just fed up with it all, the politics of home are twisted and boring enough, without anyone else getting involved like the paramilitaries. Anyway it's never going to go back to what it was like when I was young (you could say i've seen some 'interesting' sights in my younger years) and even less likely to go back to what it was like in the 70s, I would say hopefully, this is the last spurts of a dying cause.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #42
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
last night they said on Programme it's NOT a good idea to start this whole 'tit-for-tat' game.
Definitely not, but I worry about how it's being portrayed in the media here in England, they're building it up waaaaaay too much.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sorry for the mixup of the terms. Didn't really know there was to be differentiated between, so it's interesting to learn.

I don't think there is any chance of the whole mess of the 70s-90s coming back, which is a huge step forward. But these skirmishes are ugly as they are, and can easily involve innocents which is bad enough. But I agree with you, it won't affect the bigger process.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

no way would it return to as bad as those days!

I only remember the tale-end (as I call it) of the Troubles, in the early 90s.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #45
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

To be fair that's what I recall as well, but when it's happening right outside your house at times, it sticks in your mind like crap at the bottom of your shoe. Whether it was a riot, a couple of bombs outside your house (the bar just across the road from me, very small road, always had a few bombs left outside it) twas quite fun to see the army bomb disposal robot, a guy shot dead next door, the army marching through your house, walking to school asking the soldiers to show you their guns while they were hiding behind trees...When I think about it, twas a strange yet ordinary childhood in regards to family life But hey West Belfast is still an interesting place to grow up

Vincent, the term Unionist is used to describe the political parties that support NI remaining part of the UK, Loyalist is used to describe the terrorist organisations that support NI remaining part of the UK (for the most part these days they are more just gangsters peddling drugs). Nationalist/Republican is a bit more interchangeable.