12 dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
those 12 would be dead even if he used a pencil or a rock.

I doubt it, the guy was 61, without a gun he would have been overpowered and stopped when he attacked on the high street. There's nothing particularly wrong with guns but for a portability + ease of use to killing ratio they're pretty high pretty unbeatable especially if someone lacks physicality.

I doubt it, the guy was 61, without a gun he would have been overpowered and stopped when he attacked on the high street. There's nothing particularly wrong with guns but for a portability + ease of use to killing ratio they're pretty high pretty unbeatable especially if someone lacks physicality.

i'm sure someone will argue your point and talk about gun control in the UK.

it won't be me.

He was being facetious, this poster comes into every gun control thread says you can kill someone with a rock or a pencil and then runs out never to return and discuss.

i was wondering if it'd be a righty or a lefty that would post this.

my guess is the argument is as follows: even with strict gun control laws people in england still shoot each other so the usa is right in not giving a fuck about anyone being allowed to get a tool designed to kill.

would i be right?

nb: i'm not going to debate this.

I have not made any statement on gun control on this thread.

And so far, I have not read of any shock or sadness over the fact that 12 people are dead.

Your reputation proceeds you on this thread, which is your attitude towards guns.

Yes, it is sad that 12 people are dead, but you have to admit if UK gun laws were tighter, maybe they'd still be alive.

I know it's aggravating when your thread turns into something unwanted, but this type of statements are always irritating:

And so far, I have not read of any shock or sadness over the fact that 12 people are dead.

... because if we don't type it onto this site, surely we must not actually feel it!

I have not made any statement on gun control on this thread.

I am saddened anytime someone is killed. Honestly, that should go unsaid...

You often post a link without any commentary as to how you would like it to be discussed so it can go anywhere, that's the beauty and frustration of FYM.

I saw this on our news, in the U.S. and think it is very sad. My prayers to the victims families. It must be horrible. What they are going through.

Frightening story, especially with the way the guy went about it at random like that. My condolances to all the families of those who died.

It really does stun me how people still don't see the need to have control over things like guns. What will it take to get people to understand?

Angela

I know it's aggravating when your thread turns into something unwanted, but this type of statements are always irritating:

... because if we don't type it onto this site, surely we must not actually feel it!

I am saddened anytime someone is killed. Honestly, that should go unsaid...

You often post a link without any commentary as to how you would like it to be discussed so it can go anywhere, that's the beauty and frustration of FYM.

on the other hand i find it quite irritating that this was bought up and the first five or six posts had nothing to do with the shocking nature of what happened, but the good ol' guns or no guns argument. :shrug:

on the other hand i find it quite irritating that this was bought up and the first five or six posts had nothing to do with the shocking nature of what happened, but the good ol' guns or no guns argument. :shrug:

Such is the nature of FYM, though. To put it bluntly - no debate, no point.

Deadly shootings are rare in Britain, where gun ownership is tightly restricted. In recent years, there have been fewer than 100 gun murders annually across the country.

Rules on gun ownership were tightened after two massacres in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1987, gun enthusiast Michael Ryan killed 16 people in the English town of Hungerford. In 1996, Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher at a primary school in Dunblane, Scotland.

About 600,000 people in Britain legally own a shotgun, most of them farmers and hunters in rural areas. Witnesses described Bird as using a shotgun or a rifle.

U K population is 1/5 of the U S.

How many gun murders in the U S each year. More or less than 500?

Yeah I had a vague notion that British gun control laws were fairly tight, not at all like the US, and a great deal like Australia. None of which can ever absolutely rule out an individual person happening to go batshit insane while in possession of a gun.

It's a discussion and debate forum.

And this poster has a history...

Interestingly enough in all 3 major shooting rampages in Britain in the last 30 years (Hungerford, Dunblane and Cumbria) the guns were legally owned and licensed, while almost all other gun crime in the UK is carried out by illegal firearms.

well, I think over here we usually go with the shock of what happened with immediate sympathy to friends/families of those killed, adding on wondering what mad this man 'flip' and go on a killing spree.

then there is talk of owning a gun, legal issues, etc.

perhaps, in America, gun control is discussed faster, because its a bigger issue, I have no idea, but Im seriously guessing its down to the culture difference.

what happened is awful, absolutely tragic............................:sad:

what happened is tragic.

i apologize for politicizing it so quickly -- even if politics was not implied by the OP, i put it there anyway. there are many people on interference who are from the UK and are likely impacted by this tragedy and my post was insensitive to that reality.

Back
Top Bottom