10 y/o Shoots Home Invader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjohn2441

Refugee
the kid was home alone with his little sister while mom was at work. these 2 punks break in and the kid grabs his mom's gun and shoots one in the face.

Child shoots intruder during home break-in - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

too bad we have guns for personal protection.... that poor criminal got shot and those 2 little kids are still alive :sad:

and before you criticize the mother for leaving them alone, let me post one of the comments on this story:

"Yes, in a perfect world the kids should not have been left at home alone. In a perfect world, mama would have been home with them or at least a responsible babysitter. In a perfect world, thugs with guns would not have busted in their apartment and threatened two little children with guns. In a perfect world, a fifteen-year-old thug-in-the-making (only 5 years older than the child that defended his little sister) would not have been driving the getaway car. But...wake up people. A lot of us do not live in the perfect world that some people seem to live in that are on here criticizing the mother for leaving her kids alone. Some of us, in order to survive, and provide food, a roof over our heads, and medical care for our kids must do what we have to do sometimes which includes leaving ten-year-old kids at home alone sometimes. Leave the mother alone, and let's all be thankful these kids had the level headiness and bravery to survive this event with a good outcome. It could also have been a story about how thugs cold-heartily killed two small children during a home invasion."

you base that on statistics, or just your perception?

i dont know, that's probably what you are lead to believe though. and i bet most are due to the parent's incompetence, like not teaching children to respect guns property and leaving them out in the open.

GunCite-Gun Accidents

Im going to be mean and voice my personal opinion. If you have a gun your a moron.
What worries me about this is the kid knew where the gun was. If you have a gun for personal protection, keep it hidden ffs. A closet ? really ? come on. Children play in closets, some go in them and never come out :sexywink: ( sorry bad joke ) but my point is still there.

Obviously my point was that most incidents involving children and guns don't have a happy ending. Even if "fatal gun accidents among children are rare", incidents where kids use guns for protection seem more rare.

Im going to be mean and voice my personal opinion. If you have a gun your a moron.
What worries me about this is the kid knew where the gun was. If you have a gun for personal protection, keep it hidden ffs. A closet ? really ? come on. Children play in closets, some go in them and never come out :sexywink: ( sorry bad joke ) but my point is still there.

yeah, but this kid was obviously responsible enough to handle the situation properly and most likely save himself and his sister's lives.

and if he didnt know where it was? what would've happened then?

again this perception that guns + children = automatic death and destruction, is nonsense if you look at statistics. i know even 1 death of a child by gun accidents is one too many, but to assume that all gun owners are idiots if they have children and dont lock their guns up like fort knox is a bit excessive.

you dont let the kid have the cookies, he sneaks and eats them. the kid knows daddy has a gun but never sees it, he wants to sneak and go look at it. if daddy showed it to him and taught him how it works, and maybe took let him go shoot it once in a while, then he probably wouldnt sneak to play with the forbidden gun.

children can be taught to properly handle and to RESPECT guns so that they dont go up "into the closet" and shoot themselves or someone else. i know i was. and this kid obviously respected them enough and knew when to use it.

yeah, but this kid was obviously responsible enough to handle the situation properly and most likely save himself and his sister's lives.

and if he didnt know where it was? what would've happened then?

If you were a parent, would you be willing to take that chance ?
At the end of the day no harm came to the children ( granted ) but im very uncomfortable with the fact that they knew their mum has a gun in the house and knew where it was kept.

If you were a parent, would you be willing to take that chance ?
At the end of the day no harm came to the children ( granted ) but im very uncomfortable with the fact that they knew their mum has a gun in the house and knew where it was kept.

read my previous post. if i were a parent i would teach my kids gun safety and teach them to respect them and they arent toys to be played with.

thats just common sense to me :shrug: i think all gun owners with kids should do the same, and if they arent smart enough to figure that out, then maybe they shouldnt have a gun.

and who's to say this mother didnt do that with these kids? even though she says she never told him to grab the gun, that doesnt mean she didnt teach them about guns not being toys and all that.

would the kid have been justified even if they werent armed?

What do you mean, "even if they weren't"? Are you assuming they were?

This is not a story about how a gun saved a life. This story is about a shit situation, poor parenting, and lousy gun ownership.

All you gun owners talk about how you're responsible gun owners, just because this story had a "favorable" outcome in your eyes doesn't mean this is some kind of story to embraced. We had a 10 year old with easy access to a gun, who obviously wasn't a great shot since several shots were fired and what only one hit... This story could have gone many ways. This is the kind of story you gun owners want to hide, because unfortunately this is how many of these "law abiding citizens" are storing their guns.

im not assuming anything, just questions for discussion

yeah it was a shit situation, but admit it, the gun stopped it from being an even bigger shit situation.

yeah, too bad the kid didnt know where the gun was, then the assholes couldve done whatever they wanted.

and who said i was "embracing" this story? would i rather the whole thing not happened? of course. i just posted this for the sake of discussion, since our previous gun debates have died down. i need my entertainment at work :D

Hey BigJohn:wave:

Neal Boortz calls these "DRT Stories" or

D ead R ight T here

That ten year old should have drop those two scum bags like a bad habit

LOL

Keep them from doing anything to anyone else in the future as well as save taxpayers for their few weeks of vacation in the county jail:up:

yeah it was a shit situation, but admit it, the gun stopped it from being an even bigger shit situation.

yeah, too bad the kid didnt know where the gun was, then the assholes couldve done whatever they wanted.

We don't really know what the gun stopped. I am glad the kid didn't kill them, I'm pretty sure that would have been a pretty difficult thing to live with as a 10 year old.

So should we now advocate that our 10 year old children have access to our guns?

as well as save taxpayers for their few weeks of vacation in the county jail:up:

:|

This is not a story about how a gun saved a life. This story is about a shit situation, poor parenting, and lousy gun ownership.

Add 'and a lousy gun culture' onto that and you've got yourself a big :up: from me.

Teaching kids gun safety and respect is still a far cry from leaving a ten year old home alone with an unsecured weapon. My brother was using and learning about guns at that age, but not in the home, and not without nonstop supervision.

An exception to the rule, the rule being that any gun anywhere is more likely a danger than it is a security.

But that doesn't answer his question. You'd also need the comparable data on how many children shot someone in self-defense, as well as how many children shot someone maliciously.

Anyway, the thinking behind Child Access Prevention laws, as with many other public safety laws, is to minimize risk, not eliminate it. Every now and then there'll be one of these rare incidents where someone actually survives a car accident because s/he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but it's not like anyone reading about it is going to think, "Damn it, wish the bastard had died so the rest of us don't look stupid for wearing seatbelts all the time." That slight possibility was already acknowledged and weighed in the balance when deciding whether to make seatbelt-wearing legally mandatory in the first place.

I wish you bleeding heart non gun owners would start leaving your doors unlocked, maybe you'll save the lives of some criminals that would otherwise try to break into armed citizens homes. What's yours is theirs right?

This is a ten year old kid that obviously knew how to gain access to a firearm and never had any malicious outcome until it was against someone who earned it.

Oh, pardon us for not being all gung-ho about a fucking ten year old shooting someone.

Criminals or not who took the bullet, I do not see it as a good thing at all.

Oh, pardon us for not being all gung-ho about a fucking ten year old shooting someone.

Criminals or not who took the bullet, I do not see it as a good thing at all.

You're excused.

I wish some of you NRA types would let more intelligent people speak for you.

You I may as well PM since most of what I'd like to discuss with you would be deleted.

:yikes:

i come back to work today and see this?! :lol:

look, this was an extraordinary case that i thought id post on here to discuss. wasnt really my intention to use it to defend gun ownership (kind of silly since the shooter was a 10 y/o) or say "look this does happen more often than you think" or whatever.

obviously this case could've ended many ways, all of them negative. the only good thing that came out of this was those punks might think twice before b&e again. i think the kid did the right thing, but i'm also glad he didnt kill them. i wouldnt want a 10 y/o to have to live with something like that. i dont think it's a good idea to have guns lying around where kids can access them, unless of course i feel that they are old enough and mature enough to treat them with respect and they know how to use it properly AND i knew i had to leave them alone for a while, AND i lived in a high crime area where i would want them to have access to it while i was away if something like that were to happen. obviously 10 years old is a little young for that type of responsibility, but in THIS case, luckily it worked out probably the best it could've (other than the kid NOT shooting and the punks being scared off)

Back
Top Bottom