10 y/o Shoots Home Invader - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 AM
10 y/o Shoots Home Invader

the kid was home alone with his little sister while mom was at work. these 2 punks break in and the kid grabs his mom's gun and shoots one in the face.

Child shoots intruder during home break-in - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

too bad we have guns for personal protection.... that poor criminal got shot and those 2 little kids are still alive

and before you criticize the mother for leaving them alone, let me post one of the comments on this story:

"Yes, in a perfect world the kids should not have been left at home alone. In a perfect world, mama would have been home with them or at least a responsible babysitter. In a perfect world, thugs with guns would not have busted in their apartment and threatened two little children with guns. In a perfect world, a fifteen-year-old thug-in-the-making (only 5 years older than the child that defended his little sister) would not have been driving the getaway car. But...wake up people. A lot of us do not live in the perfect world that some people seem to live in that are on here criticizing the mother for leaving her kids alone. Some of us, in order to survive, and provide food, a roof over our heads, and medical care for our kids must do what we have to do sometimes which includes leaving ten-year-old kids at home alone sometimes. Leave the mother alone, and let's all be thankful these kids had the level headiness and bravery to survive this event with a good outcome. It could also have been a story about how thugs cold-heartily killed two small children during a home invasion."

Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:03 AM

Don't most gun related incidents with kids involve shooting siblings or themselves?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Refugee

you base that on statistics, or just your perception?

i dont know, that's probably what you are lead to believe though. and i bet most are due to the parent's incompetence, like not teaching children to respect guns property and leaving them out in the open.

GunCite-Gun Accidents
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Im going to be mean and voice my personal opinion. If you have a gun your a moron.
What worries me about this is the kid knew where the gun was. If you have a gun for personal protection, keep it hidden ffs. A closet ? really ? come on. Children play in closets, some go in them and never come out ( sorry bad joke ) but my point is still there.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:03 AM

Obviously my point was that most incidents involving children and guns don't have a happy ending. Even if "fatal gun accidents among children are rare", incidents where kids use guns for protection seem more rare.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Im going to be mean and voice my personal opinion. If you have a gun your a moron.
What worries me about this is the kid knew where the gun was. If you have a gun for personal protection, keep it hidden ffs. A closet ? really ? come on. Children play in closets, some go in them and never come out ( sorry bad joke ) but my point is still there.
yeah, but this kid was obviously responsible enough to handle the situation properly and most likely save himself and his sister's lives.

and if he didnt know where it was? what would've happened then?

again this perception that guns + children = automatic death and destruction, is nonsense if you look at statistics. i know even 1 death of a child by gun accidents is one too many, but to assume that all gun owners are idiots if they have children and dont lock their guns up like fort knox is a bit excessive.

you dont let the kid have the cookies, he sneaks and eats them. the kid knows daddy has a gun but never sees it, he wants to sneak and go look at it. if daddy showed it to him and taught him how it works, and maybe took let him go shoot it once in a while, then he probably wouldnt sneak to play with the forbidden gun.

children can be taught to properly handle and to RESPECT guns so that they dont go up "into the closet" and shoot themselves or someone else. i know i was. and this kid obviously respected them enough and knew when to use it.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
yeah, but this kid was obviously responsible enough to handle the situation properly and most likely save himself and his sister's lives.

and if he didnt know where it was? what would've happened then?
If you were a parent, would you be willing to take that chance ?
At the end of the day no harm came to the children ( granted ) but im very uncomfortable with the fact that they knew their mum has a gun in the house and knew where it was kept.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
If you were a parent, would you be willing to take that chance ?
At the end of the day no harm came to the children ( granted ) but im very uncomfortable with the fact that they knew their mum has a gun in the house and knew where it was kept.
read my previous post. if i were a parent i would teach my kids gun safety and teach them to respect them and they arent toys to be played with.

thats just common sense to me i think all gun owners with kids should do the same, and if they arent smart enough to figure that out, then maybe they shouldnt have a gun.

and who's to say this mother didnt do that with these kids? even though she says she never told him to grab the gun, that doesnt mean she didnt teach them about guns not being toys and all that.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Interesting the article doesn't say if they were armed...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Interesting the article doesn't say if they were armed...
would the kid have been justified even if they werent armed?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
would the kid have been justified even if they werent armed?
What do you mean, "even if they weren't"? Are you assuming they were?

This is not a story about how a gun saved a life. This story is about a shit situation, poor parenting, and lousy gun ownership.

All you gun owners talk about how you're responsible gun owners, just because this story had a "favorable" outcome in your eyes doesn't mean this is some kind of story to embraced. We had a 10 year old with easy access to a gun, who obviously wasn't a great shot since several shots were fired and what only one hit... This story could have gone many ways. This is the kind of story you gun owners want to hide, because unfortunately this is how many of these "law abiding citizens" are storing their guns.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Refugee

im not assuming anything, just questions for discussion

yeah it was a shit situation, but admit it, the gun stopped it from being an even bigger shit situation.

yeah, too bad the kid didnt know where the gun was, then the assholes couldve done whatever they wanted.

and who said i was "embracing" this story? would i rather the whole thing not happened? of course. i just posted this for the sake of discussion, since our previous gun debates have died down. i need my entertainment at work
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
Refugee

Hey BigJohn

Neal Boortz calls these "DRT Stories" or

D ead R ight T here

That ten year old should have drop those two scum bags like a bad habit

LOL

Keep them from doing anything to anyone else in the future as well as save taxpayers for their few weeks of vacation in the county jail
Old 07-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
yeah it was a shit situation, but admit it, the gun stopped it from being an even bigger shit situation.

yeah, too bad the kid didnt know where the gun was, then the assholes couldve done whatever they wanted.
We don't really know what the gun stopped. I am glad the kid didn't kill them, I'm pretty sure that would have been a pretty difficult thing to live with as a 10 year old.

So should we now advocate that our 10 year old children have access to our guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethVincent View Post
as well as save taxpayers for their few weeks of vacation in the county jail

Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
read my previous post. if i were a parent i would teach my kids gun safety and teach them to respect them and they arent toys to be played with.
Simply telling a child not to do something isn't any guarantee that they won't do it anyway.