WTSHNN delay HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWlondnr

The Fly
Can anyone tell me what the delay setting
for WTSHNN because it is doing my nut in! :|

I've recently purchased a X-V amp from behringer and it says in the manual that Edge uses something called long echo.
There are four type of delay Slap echo, stereo delay,long echo or ping pong which one?!:ohmy:

Last edited:
It should be under "long echo" or "stereo delay," but i'm thinking "long echo." Exact MS of delay should be around 400-450ms

did it work? the song sound so cool and so full with delay. it shows that edge is truly a genius

didn't he invent the delay pedal? :wink:

When you get the delay settings right for WTSHNN the sounds just fill up the room. The man is simply a genuis (is there an ehco in here??)

yeup genius, the einstien of delay :D, yeah it worked it's really cool, it's a shame i don't have the playing skil to match lol
he is the anti hero though, "if I could play a note for a song, I would"

O.k............you have to tell me what I'm doing wrong!!..
I can't get it to work........delay is just not right.......
I'm using a Boss Me-50 for this..........any suggestions?

yeah...i was actually gonna post again to corect my other post. the delay time for digital or analog delay is actually around 365 ms. Edge uses stereo delay, though, which is difficult to explain (even i dont understand it really!) but there's a way to get that sound. If you have 2 delay pedals, set the first one in the chain to about 450ms and the second one to 365. If you play a "dead" chord (muting all the strings with your left hand) you should hear the delays "bounce" off each other at an unconstant rate. when you play the song, it sounds so much better!

mr mc sarcasm said:
O.k............you have to tell me what I'm doing wrong!!..
I can't get it to work........delay is just not right.......
I'm using a Boss Me-50 for this..........any suggestions?

Use the dotted eight note tap tempo setting.

I did, and I practically NAILED the delay time...just tap quarter notes in time with the album.

discothequeLP said:
yeah...i was actually gonna post again to corect my other post. the delay time for digital or analog delay is actually around 365 ms. Edge uses stereo delay, though, which is difficult to explain (even i dont understand it really!) but there's a way to get that sound. If you have 2 delay pedals, set the first one in the chain to about 450ms and the second one to 365. If you play a "dead" chord (muting all the strings with your left hand) you should hear the delays "bounce" off each other at an unconstant rate. when you play the song, it sounds so much better!

You don't need to do this...

What you perceive as two stereo delays is really one mono delay set to a dotted eight note repeat. In this fashion, the delays do not repeat exactly on the quarter notes, but instead land between the beat.

Also...the Edge and Dallas Shoo have repeatedly said that the Edge runs his rig in Split Mono, and NOT true stereo.

my deley is built into a BOSS GT-6.

i don't have an option of changing Ms's.
all i have are 2 switches. feedback level (0-100), and effect level (0-120) there is also a button labeled 'tap', buti don't know what it does yet. anyone have any idea?

marik said:
my deley is built into a BOSS GT-6.

i don't have an option of changing Ms's.
all i have are 2 switches. feedback level (0-100), and effect level (0-120) there is also a button labeled 'tap', buti don't know what it does yet. anyone have any idea?

If you want to play Streets, tap the "tap" button in time to the song. That will set the delay to the right time. There should be somewhere where you can set the delay mode to dotted 8th notes, which will sound better for Streets. Effect level is how loud the delay efffect is, and feedback level is the strength of the echoes (I think?).

-Nick

Edges actual delay time is 365ms on vertigo tour
for 'streets have no name'

the studio album version is prob more 357ms
or less

also you want to use a modulation delay a standard
delay is not ideal but if you dont have a mod delay add
a chorus pedal with very slight settings

cheers BB Mac

from what i seen with my own eyes 365ms;-)
twice on the vertigo tour
also watch the slane dvd its the same;-)

so actually its 365ms not 352ms

using delay calculators doesnt work
his times vary and are not exact
to the BPM

BB Mac

Last edited:
BB Mac said:
from what i seen with my own eyes 365ms;-)
twice on the vertigo tour
also watch the slane dvd its the same;-)

so actually its 365ms not 352ms

using delay calculators doesnt work
his times vary and are not exact
to the BPM

BB Mac

I agree on both points. It is 365ms and delay calculators are a complete wast of time..no pun intended.

Many of the delay times for U2 stuff is based on feel not just a delay time that is dead on the quarter note beat or 16th or triplet.

Chas

Back
Top Bottom