WOWY Ebow problem - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 04:03 AM
WOWY Ebow problem

Okay folks a tricky little problem here. When playing WOWY I constantly have the problem of where to put the ebow after the intro/first verse and playing the riff for the first time.

Problem is holding the last ebow part long enough then putting it down, changing pick up switches and hitting delay pedal all in the blink of an eye. I get good sustain from the shimmer and "trails" elemnt of the pedal board but Edge manages to have virtually no gap when using the Infinite guitar which I can't afford and don't need for one song. The main problems are:

1. Delay pedal is on floor board at the front of stage and there is nowhere in reach to put the ebow on (e.g. top of amp etc. that is behind) I have dropped it once and it cracked!! (could get a cusion but not too cool!)

2. Ideally you need the ebow to hand for the quiet interlude before the final section/guitar break to give an accurate performance so it can't be too far away.

I have seen U2UK and noted a roadie/support crew sneakily take the ebow from Simon (The Edge) but this isn't always easy depending on venue.

Anybody else playing this with an ebow and having the same issues.

A demo version of my band (Maximum Gain) playing the song is at
www dot amplifeye dot com forward slash unsigned forward slash maximum gain for interest

edgey steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 AM
The only solution I can offer is stop using the e-bow a little earlier then Edge does. Usually Edge starts playing normal guitar again after Bono sings 'yeah you', followed by Larry kicking with a the drums. So I say put yourself into a position so you can drop the e-bow, switch pickups and hit the delay pedal in a single continuous motion. Since you have no roadie, maybe you could kneel on one knee for the final e-bow part, drop the thing, on the way up hit the pick switch followed by a stomp on the delay pedal.

For the middle part, improvise? Do something else instead, if its cool nobody will notice. Go in front of your amp and to get some feedback going. Or play the Zoo TV version of WOWY where Edge plays a solo instead.

That is what I would do. Of course I have a guitar with infinate sustain so I'm in the clear anyway.

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 11:03 PM
I think some people put strips of velcro on their Ebows and one one the guitar and just stick the thing to their guitar somewhere when they're not using it.
Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 AM
That'll be fun if you play the guitar a little too enthusiastically and see your e-bow fall off into pieces.
Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote