Wondering about scalloped frets...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
I know theyre mostly used in shred etc, but I was wondering if they can be applied to use for just any guitar playing?

I find myself hitting more neck than string when I play around fret 12 half the time, so I was sort of semi-considering it. Maybe just a light scallop, nothing too much.

Do any of you have experience playing scalloped guitar necks? Can you play chords with them etc?

Thoughts appriciated.

I don't have any experience with scalloped frets, however if you feel like your hitting more neck than string, you might need to get your neck adjusted (truss rod) or action reset, or both. My Les Paul definetly does. I would do that first, and if your not satisfied, try it :)

Dont really think it'd make much of a difference, cos in the end, theres still the same amount of height from the neck to the top of the fret. :slant:

I'm not too familiar with what scalloping is, is it a heavy filing of the frets? If so I wouldn't do that, however I would go with a light filing most likely. Your frets might not have been dressed very well.

I've heard different stories and reasons behind scalloping. I own an Ibanez Jem, which has scalloping on the upper frets, supposedly to increase sustain on those, due to both the construction (fretboard hanging over the body) and fingering.

I find them handy when bending and holding notes, due to my big fat fingers :)

This was also my view when I tried a fully scalloped Fender Strat (YM) I really can't stand that guy or his music, but his signature guitar is very nice. Try that, to see if you like full scalloping.

Another advantage of a fully scalloped board is that it better allows violin style vibrato. Although a fretless board would be even better.

The side effect of scalloping is that if you put too much pressure on the fretting hand, you could affect intonation.

Yes, the only Jems that don't have scallops are discontinued:

Jem10th (tenth anniversary, ca.1996)
Jem90HAM (Hoshino 90th anniversary, 1998) which I happen to own.
Jem7BSB (regular production model 1996-2000)
Jem7DBK (1999-2004)
Jem555 (low end Korean model)

The Jems currently available (Jem7VWH and Jem77VBK) both have scallops on the 21-24th frets.

Stay clear of fakes (made in china) but with fake tags, very hard to spot if you're not familiar with them.

If you are in China, or SE Asia you may come across the Jem333 as well, which is specifically made to counter fakes.

The scalloping is quite difficult to show in pictures, easier on the earlier maple boards, this is my Jem777DY:

DSYcouchangle.jpg

for comparison, my non-scalloped Jem90HAM, note the string shadow:

neckssx.jpg

Yngwie Malmsteen once said in an interview the scalloped frets only help him for (shredding) solos. For anything else like rhythm guitar he says they are actually a hindrance.

Back
Top Bottom