With Or Without You loop help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi guys, playing a function soon and one of the requested songs is With Or Without You. I was wondering if you guys could help us accurately copy the loop heard throughout the song with the drum machine and (im assuming) the DX7?

Any help appreciated, particularly the drum machine used in the original and any advice on dx7 patches etc. Have already recreated it with other sounds but if we can get it sounding as close to the real thing as possible there's no reason not to :)

Thanks!

hey thanks to you and gvox who PM'd me, sorry I took so long to respond.
as you both suggested, it would be pretty simple to use the loop, the only thing I'd do is probably take just two beats from it so there's the kick, snare and one loop of the keyboard, simply so that slight guitar squeal is out. not that you'd really notice something like that once everyone else is playing over it.

had a go at it, got the right drum machine (i THINK it's a Yamaha RX11 anyway. very handy having that full list of equipment in the back of the Rattle And Hum book :wink:) and a DX7 emulator, but that was never quite the same.
even if I did get the "proper" Native Instruments plugin, I think I read Brian Eno used to do all sorts of stuff to his DX7 sounds, use harmonizers and so on to get the sound he wanted so it's not like you could find a stock sound waiting for you and be good to go. it's still fun playing about with it though, i'll try and upload a clip later when I get home.

i typed a load there, sorry, and forgot to say yeah I'd probably have gone with your idea but the function was cancelled :lol:

hi Gareth no worrys, sorry the function was cancelled,yeah upload a clip. funny you should mention the DX7
i was thinking of getting one. i have a old Yamaha QX7 sequencer laying around but prob not much use these
days as most people use a DAW for loops n stuff

The dx7 patch for wowy is a stock preset the key is in the way it's sequence high D D octave lower A then F sharp. The loop dosnt decend like most backing track sequences I've heard. Have a good listen to the Paris version from 87 and you can hear the loop clearly. Rx11 is correct too

There's a great dx7 emulator in Reason 7 upwards called PX7 and it's only £49 when its on offer from proppellerheads. BB it's Much better than getting on original dx7 plus it will read sysex files. I've found many U2 presets but they seem to be in the USA Rams other than the European Rams.

Last edited:
Hi mate cheers for info i will look into those.il need to get a
midi keyboard at sum point to try and a few things out.

Back
Top Bottom