where do i go from here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I have been tecahing myself guitar for about 4 months now. I don't have much time to practice, basically I play for an hour a day but only on weekends and I maybe touch the guitar once druing the week, so my time is somewhat limited. I have been using the Hal-Leonard Play Guitar Today books but I didn't use them for about 2 months. I can do chords and am working on using more barre chords and learning harder chords. I also have been doing a lot of tabs for about 2 months and am currently working on Stairway to Heaven, among other things. I have an Eric Clapton songbook that breaks down his playing method, but most of the stuff in it is a little too advanced for me. I can do scales, and figured out all the major scales without help or a book. My question is, what do I do now? I won't be able to start lessons until July because I will be at camp and don't have time for the rest of this school year. Any suggestions of songs and websites or teaching websites would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

well....obviuosly I started with U2 songs I think you should try them because there are ranges and loads of songs you can try of all difficulty levels

I have alot of time on my hands so I practise every day at the least an hour

Instead of playing the chords start moving on to lead guitar parts there's loads of guitar tabs and sites out there and guitar 'tutorials online' just have a browse and you'll find something you'll find fit to learn

Are there any sites that have really free good guitar tutorials sonline? I know of some sites, but I don't know which is better. For example, I have tried mxtabs and donnybravos. Any other suggestions or certain songs(not necessarily U2) i should try? Thanks!

google search "u2 guitar tabs"...you'll find plenty. i agree with sw though...practice lead parts so you can develop fretting and chord techniques. i'm a beginner too, playing for about 8 months. i know this isn't so easy, but i also suggest playing with other people...forces you to keep time. if you don't have people to play with, play songs along with a cd. it's the best thing you can do. and if you want to join a band at some point, learn to play standing up. just my advice, but i'm not an expert or anything...

i've been playing for 6 months, and I try to do an hour a day, which I generally manage. I can play most concieveable chords but i'm not too hot with riffs...i'd love to play with other people, the only problem is everyone I know well either do not play or are far too advanced and want people of their ability, and i'm pretty awful so I am all alone :(

The Sage said:
everyone I know well either do not play or are far too advanced and want people of their ability

heh, the couple times i've played with a full band...well, let's just say i was definately dwarfed by their ability. but like i said, definately find a good version of your song, put on the headphones just loud enough to hear well over your playing, and play away...it really does help. i usually work on a song for a bit til i can play it through no problem, then bust out the cd...usually you feel pretty bad at first cause it's way faster than what you're used to, but keep doing it and it really does help.

Stories for Boys said:
practice lead parts so you can develop fretting and chord techniques. i'm a beginner too, playing for about 8 months. i know this isn't so easy, but i also suggest playing with other people...forces you to keep time. if you don't have people to play with, play songs along with a cd. it's the best thing you can do. and if you want to join a band at some point, learn to play standing up. just my advice, but i'm not an expert or anything...

This is all good stuff. I've been playing guitar for nearly 2 years, and the thing I find most helpful is having sessions with others... everyone learns from it. However, before getting into lead parts, I would suggest working on timing and rhythm. Clapping exercises might look foolish to observers, but they are infinitely helpful... eighth, sixteenth, and shorter time interval pacing is something you'll have to get comfortable with in order to make that transition to lead, and soloing. If you feel confident in this area, I would suggest maybe trying medium level finger-picking (like Clapton or the Beatles) or possibly some classical progressions (eg. Bour?e by Bach... Jimmy Page played that all the time during intermissions of Heartbreaker). Yes, Zeppelin is a great band.

What was the topic of discussion again?

:up:

PS- Are you a Vanessa Williams fan?

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom