What was your first U2-song ever you played on guitar/ bass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, I started playing guitar and got into U2 around the same time (Jan. 1993) so there are a lot of U2 songs I learned back then. I think the first song would be Wild Horses or One. That's what I remember playing a lot. Also, Running to a Stand Still.

I think WOWY would be the first bassline I learned of any band. Ah, the power of four notes.

Guitar only in the following order:
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (by mistake when I was messing around one day) then gave up guitar for 13 years and then:

Bad
All I Want Is You
Stay

Bad-Pride-Walk On-I will Follow-SBS-WOWY-Kite-Stuck-EBTTRT-Desire-All I Want Is You-One
1.was All i want is you

Bass-WOWY,One

Bass - With or Without You, which is also the first bass song I learned period
Guitar - Desire, same as for bass, I'm a horrible at the guitar though.
Piano - October, it's the only u2 song i've learned as i don't have access to a piano.

I think I figured out the vocal part for With or Without You on the flute one day when i was bored a few years ago :huh:

Last edited:
either All I Want is You, or One Tree Hill (it was 10 yrs ago so my memory is fuzzy)

been wanting to figure out With or Without You for years, and finally found tabs for it only last week! (all i need is a bass guitar instead of my ratty old decrepid classical nylon string thing)

And really, *really* want to learn the piano bit from New Years Day, but dont have a piano LOL.

With or without you on my bass.......
Was a very simple line to learn back then.....

Then I managed to learn the Red Rocks album....

Now Mr. Clayton has definitely stepped his game up.

I actually just played All I Want Is You last night while I was writing my own song, therefore I now cover it lol, Desire is a great starting song except for the lead lines which are tricky to begin with, I'm going to have to learn One just for the sake of covering it:wink:

Umm, I can't remember. I think it was "In God's Country" on my guitar. The first song I ever learned was "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead. God, I was so excited when I got that to work.

when it came to U2 for some reason, I tried to learn many songs at once and learned them all in the end. my usual strategy was to take each song individually and learn each, but I guess U2 is special :wink:

the songs I tried to learn all together were basically the entire Joshua Tree album, and I Will Follow and Bad.

yet to this day, I can't get enough of I Will Follow :)

My first U2 song on guitar had to be "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Soon after I learned "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Desire". I also know "With or Without You" on bass (probably the easiest song to learn on bass).

i uhh can't remember... :scratch:

I think it was SBS or maybe WTSHNN or maybe I will Follow.... I really don't know...

As for Bass well it was either SBS or WTSHNN again... or maybe it was Beautiful Day? :huh:

Curse my crappy memory!!

With or Without You -- Kind of on bass, cos i don't actually have a bass guitar, so i just play bass lines on a 6-string.

So for all of you out there saying you don't play bass because you don't own one, that's not an excuse -- it doesn't sound that bad, and you can get the tune pretty well.

In God's Country

I'm surprised to see All I Want Is You (barre chords in there!) and Staring at the Sun (F chord; most players hate it at first!) as first songs! They're pretty easy but maybe not the easiest songs to begin with!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom