What sound module is used for the click tracks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullenFan

Acrobat
Hi,

I 've been trying to find the exact same sound as U2 use for their click tracks.
It's that signature shaker sound that is not only used for in ear monitoring, but sometimes also makes it into the main live mix for some extra drive.

The sound I'm refering to can be heard mostly on Bono's IEM recordings, like this one for example:

It probably originates from an older model drum machine or something like that, as they have been using this for at least since the Zoo TV tour.

Anyone any idea?

Now that you know its a maracas sound, does the exact sound module matter that much? Any program that can create drum tracks can also generate a maracas click track.

I used to make click tracks in fruity loops, it's what I had at the time. Our then drummer could generate a click track in Audacity, but he found the sound to be harsh and painful on the ears using in-ear. I think I used the shaker in fruity loops which he found much more pleasing to his ears. I reckon U2 prefers a shaker or maracas over some electronic bleep as well.

nah people you just need to bring Larry to your band and he'll keep time, i mean, he can sense some millisecond differences in time, you know?

Well, if Edge can hear the subtle nuances between dozens of different guitars, a gazillion pedals and various amps, then why shouldn't Larry be able to sense millisecond differences in time? :wink:

In which case what is Adam's special power?

Thanks for all the off-topic chat people ;-)

It's okay to be sarcastic about Larry's sense of timing. The way Eno talks about it is a bit cringy to say the least. But that doesn't make it less true. If you're drumming to a clicktrack that is several milliseconds off, it interferes with the natural flow you're trying to get into.

Adam's special power is to ignore click tracks or drummers as a whole and pour out his own groove and make it sound good at the same time.

Anyway, on-topic:
To me, it matters which module is used. We can discuss about how I could use some random shaker / maracas (and trust me, I've tried quite some) but I need that specific one in my life ;) It would make me a very happy person!

So, still open to suggestions :)

There’s any difference usibg the shaker instead tradicional click? Any advantage?

Based on my former band's drummer I'd say that shaker is more pleasing on the ears as its less harsh in the upper frequencies. Traditional click may work fine if your recording, but if you're playing 2 to 2,5 hours shows a night, having something less harsh constantly ticking away in your ears is probably a lot more healthy in the long term.

I see. Thanks for that explanation. We are going to beging using click tracks in our tributeband.i have created these clicks with the traditional sound but i have always wanted to know why u2 was using shaker. Maybe i will change the sound of these clicks. In internet there’s a lot of click tracks in the traiditional sound, but i dont know if in the shaker version i will find 143bpm instead 140, for example.

I see. Thanks for that explanation. We are going to beging using click tracks in our tributeband.i have created these clicks with the traditional sound but i have always wanted to know why u2 was using shaker. Maybe i will change the sound of these clicks. In internet there’s a lot of click tracks in the traiditional sound, but i dont know if in the shaker version i will find 143bpm instead 140, for example.
I can elaborate on that some more (being the drummer of a U2 tribute band myself :) )

In my band, we use both. The traditional clicks penetrate the other sounds on your IEM way better than the shakers do. So when things get loud, these clicks are safer to use and give more guidance. But, the shakers on the other hand can really create a drive and help you getting into the groove.

As for the BPM's: if you use pre-recorded clicktracks, you can generate your own shaker tracks by using a DAW and a VST drum plugin (I use EZ drummer, which has excellent shaker sounds). Or I'd be happy to create on for you, just pm me then :up:

I dont use any DAW during live gigs. Only to create the files at home with garageband. During live session we use two channels. Left for click and right for live sequences

I dont use any DAW during live gigs. Only to create the files at home with garageband. During live session we use two channels. Left for click and right for live sequences
I do the same :)

You said you don't know if you will find a shaker sound in 143 bpm (or some other exotic number). I meant you can create such a track using a DAW and then export to .wav or whatever format you use in your live setup.

Thanks for all the off-topic chat people ;-)

It's okay to be sarcastic about Larry's sense of timing. The way Eno talks about it is a bit cringy to say the least. But that doesn't make it less true. If you're drumming to a clicktrack that is several milliseconds off, it interferes with the natural flow you're trying to get into.

Adam's special power is to ignore click tracks or drummers as a whole and pour out his own groove and make it sound good at the same time.

Anyway, on-topic:
To me, it matters which module is used. We can discuss about how I could use some random shaker / maracas (and trust me, I've tried quite some) but I need that specific one in my life ;) It would make me a very happy person!

So, still open to suggestions :)
Try to use tambourine sound.

An ancient piece of tracker software called MadTracker (http://www.madtracker.org/)

It allows you to create patterns which you can loop or place in a certain order. It uses wave files as samples, which you place in the patterns.

With midi commands you can play, stop and loop patterns which is great when the singer decides to extend Bad with am extra chorus for instance. I have drumpads attached to a drumcomputer attached to my laptop to trigger start/stop/loop.

But still: it's ancient and has a learning curve ;)

Sorry, I don't. I "invented" this setup myself. What are you using at the moment?

We use a Computer where we send clicktrack to two D.I. and the return to a mini mixer for the drummer and the rest to the general mixer
Ok, I get that, but what's on the computer? Do you just play mp3's?

I'll send them later, don't have them here (@work)
Just pm me your email address.

Don't know if I said this before, but when I made clicktracks for my old band I made MP3's with the right channel the backing track and the left channel the clicktrack.

Back
Top Bottom