What Pickups Does Edge Have In His All-Black/Maple Strat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
You know, the Streets strat. I was watching the Paris Joshua Tree show and they did a super-closeup during WOWY, and they didn't look like standard Strat single coils. Are they blade pickups?

Then again it was a quick glimpse.

I believe them to be the stock pickups, but im sure EO will have the most enlightening answer :)

What tune on the Paris DVD are you referring? They didn't play Streets at Paris.

If you are talking about the all black Custom Built Danvel Nelson Strat... that he used for Streets (and a few other tunes) on Rattle and Hum... I think those were EMGs. But I would have to double check that.

With or Without You on the Paris DVD

What you are seeing in that guitar are the pickups for the "infinite guitar" system that was made by Michael Brooks.

It's a Strat retrofitted with the Infinite Guitar System pickups.

Edgebw_2.jpg

Edge stopped using it during the Zoo tours as it could be unreliable and Dallas has said he'd gotten shocked by it a few times. (Yikes)

Later in the Zoo tours, Edge began using an Ebow with his Les Paul Custom. That changed to Fernandes Decade Elite w/Fernandes Sustainer pickup for POPMART, a customized Native Pro w/Fernandes Sustainer pickup and for the past two tours Fernandes RetroRocket w/Fernandes Sustainer pickup.

I read somewhere that this was in fact a Squire :S . Dont know how reliable that bit of info is however.

I read somewhere that this was in fact a Squire :S . Dont know how reliable that bit of info is however.

I've heard Squier too. But that was when Squier didn't = crap.

Initially Squier merely means "Japanese built Fender", for the most part. That was in the mid-to late 80's.

I have to find a couple of better pictures of that guitar.

Seems there were two of these. The one I posted the pic (black with white pickguard) and the all black. The black and white can be seen in Rattle and Hum. So perhaps that was made/obtained by Edge later in the JT tour?

yeah i knew that about squier. they used to be nice and now they crap :'(

crafted isnt the right word. horribly thrown together is a better phrase :)

I have a Fender Telecaster Custom that was crafted in Japan. Lovely guitar. Quality built.

A Squier equivalent was CRAPPED in Japan (or wherever said Squier was built).

I know, I know... someone is bound to say "I have a Squier and it's the dogs knackers". But on the whole, quality isn't a word that comes to mind when one things of or plays a Squier.

Play that Squier next to a Fender Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson or John Mayer strat, to name a few, and you will set the Squier alight.

I have a Fender Telecaster Custom that was crafted in Japan. Lovely guitar. Quality built.

A Squier equivalent was CRAPPED in Japan (or wherever said Squier was built).

I know, I know... someone is bound to say "I have a Squier and it's the dogs knackers". But on the whole, quality isn't a word that comes to mind when one things of or plays a Squier.

Play that Squier next to a Fender Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson or John Mayer strat, to name a few, and you will set the Squier alight.

+1.

Jap fenders are amazing instruments. i hold them in similar esteme to USA built fenders. Squiers on the other hand are shite.

Back
Top Bottom