What makes an expensive guitar "expensive"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobat_Al

Acrobat
I mean, what makes an epiphone studio cheaper than a Gibson Les paul? the sound is that different??

If I use the greatest strings in a cheaper acoustic will it sound worse than a bunch of bad strings in the best acoustic guitar?

Last edited:
1. Higher quality wood and finish
2. Higher quality individual parts (bridge, nut, tuning pegs, pickups) that ultimately contribute to the sound
3. Better craftsmanship with regards to construction (soldering and the like) that increases lifespan of the guitar

You are not merely paying for the name (although that is surely part of it), but a guitar that has had some love put into it, and that pays off down the road.

What needs to be understood about electric guitars is that the gap in quality between price ranges is among the smallest of all instruments. One reason is that there are so many other things that contribute to the sound. Pick-ups, effects, amp, etc...Yes, part of what youre paying for in an expensive guitar is quality pick-ups, but you can always put them in a cheap guitar and still get great results. Also, strings on eletric make much smaller of a difference than you might think.

With regard to acoustic, however, strings are very important. Also, the quality gap between price ranges that I mentioned earlier is exponentially greater than it is with electrics. I don't know if I can really explain this, but because the instrument is acoustic, it's making its own sound, and things get, I don't know, temperamental. If that makes sense. The quality and variety of the wood, as well as the contruction contribute to the quality as well

Prices can vary for a number of reasons.

Guitars made in the U.S. are made by workers who earn a higher wage than in some of the other countries. Hence the cost of making the guitar is more.

The quality of the wood. Quality of components (wiring, pots, humbuckers, tuners).

I understand what you're saying; I normally use Ernie Ball Strings, I own an acoustic epiphone, and sounds clearer with those strings, which brand do you recommend??

I'm asking about guitar quality and prices because I've heard about the legendary Epiphone J200, and it costs something like $3000 usd, and I thought "Ohh shit, that's really expensive", does it really deserve to have that price??

I've heard that Fender assambles guitars in Mexico, and yeah, the force labor is cheaper here, that should be one reason, apart from the material costs of guitars

I understand what you're saying; I normally use Ernie Ball Strings, I own an acoustic epiphone, and sounds clearer with those strings, which brand do you recommend??

I'm asking about guitar quality and prices because I've heard about the legendary Epiphone J200, and it costs something like $3000 usd, and I thought "Ohh shit, that's really expensive", does it really deserve to have that price??

I've NEVER seen an Epiphone J200 that cost $3000. $300-$400 maybe.

Gibson J200? Yes, they can run $3000+

Woah, yeah, purchasing the entire Epiphone brand might cost $3000, but never one of their guitars.

Back
Top Bottom