What Kind of Guitar Is Edge Playing Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, for some reason I thought it was maybe a Yamaha. I suppose you're right though, looks like he used a black Washburn like that for the ISHFWILF video.

YouTube - U2 - Band interview 1988 (part 5/5) + Happy X-Mas (acoustic)

I've seen several photos of him with that florentine-cutaway acoustic during the JT/RH era. It always has a pickup mounted in the soundhole. What kind of guitar is it?

I haven't seen very many florentine cutaway full acoustics before. Certainly not flat-top ones.

That there is a Washburn EA40 Woodstock Festival Series electric/acoustic with Lawrence soundhole pickup.

Same as used for "Party Girl" and "Seconds" on the Red Rocks DVD.

It was The Edge's primary acoustic guitar up through parts of the Zoo tours.

Any idea if he used it on the album though?

Was it used on albums (other studio tracks)?

I'd say yes. It seemed to be his main acoustic in the 1980's through 1993-ish. I'd say there is an excellent chance it's one some album and singles tracks.

Keeping in mind that it might not be in a traditional acoustic type setting. The Edge called it a compromise guitar, between an acoustic and electric. Similar to how he's used the Line 6 Variax 700 acoustics.

Which one(s)?

There is a good chance that it was used for many of the songs that Edge used the guitar for in concerts.

I'd venture to say that there is a good chance that it was used for "Trash, Trampoline And the Party Girl" and "Seconds" come to mind. Also, per 'The Making of The Unforgettable Fire' documentary, it's probaby on the recording of "Three Sunrises" - as they show them working on that song live.

Check 4:10 into the following video clip:
YouTube - U2 - Unforgettable Fire (documentary) pt 1

Back
Top Bottom