What Guitar Should I Get???????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
I am looking for more of U2's sound, so which of these do you think is the best for my money, or if there is a better guitar out there that you reccommend I get? PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE ONE

FENDER American Series Tele HS
Gibson SG Special
Gibson Faded Double Cut
Gibson Melody Maker
Fender® American Stratocaster® Electric Guitar
Fender® American Telecaster® Electric Guitar
Fender® American Series Stratocaster® HH

I think that with a stratocaster you can play many u2 songs, like where the streets, the fly, pride. But the Edge's favorite guitar is the Gibson Les Paul Custom.

I'll give you general impressions:

- Stratocaster: Probably the most versatile electric guitar around. Does rock, blues, punk--whatever you toss at it. Comfortable. Cons: Maybe the fact that it's too common--if you look for something different, you won't want to buy a Strat. Also, its tone can somehow get "lost" in a band context.

- Telecaster: The plank oozes tone. It's not the most comfortable guitar to play (mine is particularly heavy), but it's pure rock'n'roll. Its sound (especially the bridge) "cuts" thru mixes like a missile. Clean, it has a nice twangy tone. Distorted, whoa! My personal favorite (see my baby in my avatar!).

- Gibson SG: Brighter tone than a Les Paul, a bit neck heavy, unique tone, maybe not the most versatile guitar, but has its own mojo. I personally prefer it for distorted stuff, or almost-distorted like AC/DC. Looks sweet enough to eat, still a distinctive guitar after all these years.

If you're starting off I'd take the American Telecaster, although maybe you'd prefer the Strat for versatility. With their bolt-on necks and gazillion of mods available (pickups, etc.), Fender guitars are better for beginners, in my opinion.

Best advice? Go to music stores, try them, see which one gives you the right "feel". Trust me, some guitars just have "it", that special feeling.

My favorite guitars are the Fender Tele and my pretty Danelectro U2 (no relation to the band).

Hey is 750$ a good price for a Gibson Les Paul Studio 1996? It is in good condition, no repairs or fixes? Someone told me not to buy a Les Paul that was made year 2000 and up because of the maker or something, I cant rememebr? So if anyone could help, thanks.

A guitar is worth what you are prepared to pay for it and no more... virtually anything with six strings on from Gibson is a well made instrument though as a rule the Studio models aren't considered as desirable as the Custom or Standard models (which are the ones that we normally see Edge and other worthies using) and therefore don't tend to hold their values as well as the other ones do, i.e. you might find it hard to sell it if you decide that you've gone off it. I have not heard this claim that Gibsons made after 2000 are no good and suspect that this is a marketing tactic to sell you something the seller won't otherwise shift for the above reason. SGs are hard to shift too, in fact I would suggest that anything by Gibson but the Les Paul Standard and Custom models would probably prove to be poor investments, assuming you ever decided to sell your purchase.

I think the main thing to bear in mind is that, regardless of the guitar, Edge sounds like Edge because, well, he is Edge. He has dozens of guitars so, even if the guitar itself is key to the sound, which I don't think is the case, your buying any particular one won't give you more than say a quarter at most of the sounds Edge gets and I have no doubt that he would still sound like Edge even if he was playing a cheap, made-on-Friday-afternoon plywood Chinese Fender Squier. What this boils down to is that the sound is 99% in your fingers, not the wood, so buying a guitar that Edge uses because you think that you will sound like Edge as a result is a sure path to disappointment (unless of course you are already very accomplished as a player, in which case you would not need to seek our advice, right?). Bear in mind that Edge has been playing since he was 12 or whatever so he has 30 + years of experience. Personally I'd recommend a Tele every time to a new guitarist because they have a nice slim neck so are easy for learners, simple electrics so no fooling about with multiple controls, are built to last and finally *always* sound great. They don't normally have a tremolo bar either which is a good thing in my opinion since this will generally screw up your tuning and most of the time use of the whammy is superflous/excessive anyway (unless you're Hank Marvin or Eddie Van Halen). Actually I'd recommend a Tele to virtually any guitarist of any ability. Edge does use Teles occasionally if that helps (I think he used one for SBS on the last tour and also for the Vertigo vid) but I'd suggest you go out without money (very important) and have a look at a load of guitars of whatever sort takes your fancy. If you have a knowledgable friend I'd take him or her along too. Remember, in the end a guitar is just a piece of wood; it's the skill of the guitarist that makes it sound great.

Hey thanks alot for the tips, seriously. I have been playing now for 2 years, and I just sold a Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus, becasue I wanted an upgrade, something better. So now Im just unsure which direction to go, its not that I want to sound exactly like the edge, but just sound pretty good covering U2's songs. Thanks for all the help, and suggestions or opinions help. Thanks

Ok if anybody is still out there, I have narrowed down to two guitars. A used 1996 Gibson LP wine red with gold hardware for 781$ with a case, Or a 2004 Gibson LP brand new, classic black color for 812$? PLEASE WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY? HELP. Thanks

A fellow Telecaster brother! :D

gragravar said:
A guitar is worth what you are prepared to pay for it and no more... virtually anything with six strings on from Gibson is a well made instrument though as a rule the Studio models aren't considered as desirable as the Custom or Standard models (which are the ones that we normally see Edge and other worthies using) and therefore don't tend to hold their values as well as the other ones do, i.e. you might find it hard to sell it if you decide that you've gone off it. I have not heard this claim that Gibsons made after 2000 are no good and suspect that this is a marketing tactic to sell you something the seller won't otherwise shift for the above reason. SGs are hard to shift too, in fact I would suggest that anything by Gibson but the Les Paul Standard and Custom models would probably prove to be poor investments, assuming you ever decided to sell your purchase.

I think the main thing to bear in mind is that, regardless of the guitar, Edge sounds like Edge because, well, he is Edge. He has dozens of guitars so, even if the guitar itself is key to the sound, which I don't think is the case, your buying any particular one won't give you more than say a quarter at most of the sounds Edge gets and I have no doubt that he would still sound like Edge even if he was playing a cheap, made-on-Friday-afternoon plywood Chinese Fender Squier. What this boils down to is that the sound is 99% in your fingers, not the wood, so buying a guitar that Edge uses because you think that you will sound like Edge as a result is a sure path to disappointment (unless of course you are already very accomplished as a player, in which case you would not need to seek our advice, right?). Bear in mind that Edge has been playing since he was 12 or whatever so he has 30 + years of experience. Personally I'd recommend a Tele every time to a new guitarist because they have a nice slim neck so are easy for learners, simple electrics so no fooling about with multiple controls, are built to last and finally *always* sound great. They don't normally have a tremolo bar either which is a good thing in my opinion since this will generally screw up your tuning and most of the time use of the whammy is superflous/excessive anyway (unless you're Hank Marvin or Eddie Van Halen). Actually I'd recommend a Tele to virtually any guitarist of any ability. Edge does use Teles occasionally if that helps (I think he used one for SBS on the last tour and also for the Vertigo vid) but I'd suggest you go out without money (very important) and have a look at a load of guitars of whatever sort takes your fancy. If you have a knowledgable friend I'd take him or her along too. Remember, in the end a guitar is just a piece of wood; it's the skill of the guitarist that makes it sound great.

Basically the difference is the colour, the prices are pretty similar and they're both the same model. So play both and decide which plays/sounds better. If the one that plays better is also the colour you like then your choice is pretty straightforward. If not, you will need to think a bit harder. For what it's worth, the black one would probably be a bit easier to sell on if you decide to do so. The "classic" colours for the LP are sunburst, gold and black.

Hope that helps and good luck.

I'm partial to the October/War/BloodRed Sky/UF/Jtree tones which, I believe were mostly Strat.
But when you get into the more distorted tones on Achtung Baby, there's no substitute for a Les Paul or SG. That's why I have both!

Looking at the Under A Blood Red Sky video it definately seems as the Strat is the most used guitar for these early records. However, I believe that the trusty old Explorer is used just as much as the Strat for the early records.

Back
Top Bottom