What do you think about this guitar (help with deciding!) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:59 PM
What do you think about this guitar (help with deciding!)

Vintage Vantage Les Paul Guitar - Made in Japan - eBay (item 320551176916 end time Jun-26-10 13:34:28 PDT)

is it worth getting? I don't have a lot of money to spend on a guitar so I can't get anything really amazing lol
(oh and it will be my first electric guitar, so is it good to practice on and start off? or should I go with something more recent and not a copy??)

U2_Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Well, I've never heard of Vantage, and there are plenty of Japanese companies that make very good Les Paul clones, but they're all a bit more expensive than that.

However, you don't have to spend a lot to get a good guitar. Check Craigslist every day. You can find used Mexican Fender Telecasters or Strats for $200 all day, and sometimes for $100.

If you want a Les Paul, maybe find a used Epiphone, or try one of these sites. The Agile and Xaviere guitars get good reviews for the money:

Rondo Music Home Page

Untitled Page

Chill Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Refugee

cool thanks! I'll be sure to check those sites!!
you sound experienced lol so do you think that vantage is any good?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:59 AM
I have never heard of vantage, there's no stating what the guitar is made of(what woods) and it's been used. I wouldn't trust it.
As Mike said, if you want a LP model it's smart to check Epiphone. They make the best quality LP clones.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Refugee

yeah I did find an epiphone LP-100 for a pretty good price on amazon, i bought it last night, but this morning i got a message from amazon that the seller cancelled the order cuz it was "out of stock" so now im searching the internet all over again lol
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Refugee

hmm but which one, this one:
or this one:
Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Refugee

hey they even have an edge-ish guitar!!:
SX EG2 BO TWR Electric Guitar at RondoMusic.com
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Galeonbroad

If I were you I wouldn't go for any random guitar brand. There's a lot of incredibly shitty guitars out there. Go for a decent trustworthy brand, there's cheaper ones of those too. If your first guitar's shit, there's a larger chance you won't enjoy playing.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
War Child

Like I've said I've never heard of Vantage, so I can't really say. The good Japanese knock off brands are Greco, Tokai, Edwards. They all make high-quality LP clones, but they're also considerably more expensive than Epiphone guitars, although less expensive than a Gibson.

Let's start another way: what kind of guitar sounds do you like? Tell me some songs that have guitar sounds that you like and I'll try to point you in the direction of the kind of guitar that was used.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Refugee

i never checked back, i got the douglas les paul style guitar. I saw a video on youtube of someone playing it, and it sounded nice to me!
as for sounds, i wouldn't know what to tell you, i like nice clean sounding type stuff, I don't listen to metal or stuff like that, mainly U2ish type stuff or john mayer
idk does this make any sense to you
(oh and i read reviews of those douglas guitars, people were saying ok things about them as far as being a first guitar and all)
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Galeonbroad

uh, metal is played a LOT on Les Pauls. They are used on U2 songs with 'muff' distorted sounds as well. If you want a good clean sound, and like both U2 and John Mayer, you should've gotten a Stratocaster IMO.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
War Child

Sure, it makes sense. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine. The Douglas and Agile guitars that Rondo sells are, I believe, made in the same Korean factory that Epiphone used to use about 10 years ago. I'm sure it'll be fine. If you ever decide you want to change the way it sounds you can buy new pickups and have those put in it. I'm sure the guitar itself will be perfectly fine.

Do you have an amp?

Also, Les Pauls are indeed used often for some metal, but those often have active pickups. That guitar should be fine for clean sounds.

For example, I did this recording yesterday with a Les Paul. The clean part in the second half is a Les Paul. The bagpipe bit is a mixture of a Firebird, Danelectro, and a bass.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Refugee

wow that sounded awesome!
and yep I have some silvertone 20 watt amp, it used to be my brothers i think
and i don't think I'll be using the guitar just for those "clean" sounds though, like the fun songs with "muff" distorted sounds like galeongirl mentioned, I'd try to learn how to play that stuff too. I just wanted to get something cheaper(in my price range) that would be good to start out on.
oh and thank you all very much! you've helped me out a bunch!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
War Child

No problem. If you ever want to buy an amp, I strongly suggest at least looking at the Vox VT modelling amps, or the slightly older line of ADVT modelling amps. You can find the 15watt versions on Craigslist all day for $100-$150, and they will cover a huge range of sounds. They also have some basic effects built in that are more than sufficient.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
Refugee

good to know! I have to start saving up for that now, it'll probably be my next purchase
thanks so so much! i can't wait to start learning how to play the electric guitar!!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
War Child

It's a lot of fun. Definitely stick with it and don't get discouraged. If you've never played guitar before, it'll take some time for you to be able to change chords quickly, and the fingertips on your left hand will become raw, but eventually the skin will toughen up, and your muscle memory will start to take effect and you'll be switching chords without thinking about it. In the grand scheme of music, guitar is pretty easy to learn. Just give it time and stick with it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
Refugee

oh I've been playing my sister's acoustic guitar since February or January lol forgot to mention that! lol but i still haven't learned barre chords!!(its hard!) but switching between chords is ok for me now!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Not a real Les Paul, to start with. Don't waste your money.

It's like Payless Shoes, when you pay less you get less.

That isnt' to say you must have a $4000 Gibson Les Paul. The better bet is to buy an Epiphone Les Paul (a reputable company with a warranty on the product) and to upgrade the pickups and tuners when money permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2_Jackie View Post
Vintage Vantage Les Paul Guitar - Made in Japan - eBay (item 320551176916 end time Jun-26-10 13:34:28 PDT)

is it worth getting? I don't have a lot of money to spend on a guitar so I can't get anything really amazing lol
(oh and it will be my first electric guitar, so is it good to practice on and start off? or should I go with something more recent and not a copy??)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
If I were you I wouldn't go for any random guitar brand. There's a lot of incredibly shitty guitars out there. Go for a decent trustworthy brand, there's cheaper ones of those too. If your first guitar's shit, there's a larger chance you won't enjoy playing.
EXACTLY!
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #19
Refugee

^ i was going to get an Epiphone LP-100 (for an amazingly good price too!) but the seller canceled the order
I've been waiting for awhile saving up my money and went ahead and got the douglas copy les paul. When i get a job this fall and save up a lot more money I'm gonna go with the best choice and get something way better
Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
War Child

Go ahead and get new strings and put those on the guitar as soon as it arrives. If you don't know how then have someone show you, it's not too hard. That will make a world of difference. Factory strings are almost always complete crap. Have the guitar set up. In fact, maybe just get the strings and take it to a guitar tech shop to have them set it up and re-string it the first time.