Want to build BR-1 Bufferooster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello. I want to build my own BR-1 Bufferooster but i don¡t find the schematics. HAs anyone any schematics of any booster?

At about $400 Euros, I can see how you might want to find something cheaper but, I don't know if there are schematics available.

The newer version of the pedal is black - not blue - blue like Edge's.

BR1 Booster

Sorry, but that's nonsense. A booster for 400€ is simply overprized, as all of Skrydstrups stuff. I don't know what's in the Bufferooster exactly, but I'm quite sure that I could build it for less than 30€ (parts value), most probably less than 20.

If you want to build a booster, find out what kind of circuit you like first.
A few examples:
-Clean with flat frequency response (MXR CAE-401)
-Clean, but bass is thinned out when gain is increased (MXR Micro Amp)
-Clean with a more flexible tone control (Boss FA-1)
-Adding some dirt (AMZ Miniboost, Rangemaster and many more)

In general, it's easier to get a very clean sound with opamp-based circuits. Simply transistor-based booster can have more character, they tend to color the sound. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes not...

Personally, I didn't like my Micro Amp clone, so I took the MXR CAE MC-401 circuit and upgraded it a little bit (18V supply, better opamp, better power supply filtering, improved bypass switching). A stripboard layout can be found at freestompboxes.com.

A FA-1 would be a great option for many classic U2-sounds as well, that pedal has a very flexible Baxandall Tonestack in it. DIY project can be found at ustomp.com (where that layout calls for a "47µf NP cap", in fact a simple 0.47µF film cap is needed... As I was too lazy to etch a board, I made a stripboard layout for it. It's not yet verified, but should be ok:
(Leave out R17, or replace it with a higher value!)
Boss_FA-1_vero.gif

Not yet built, but triple checked. Should be ok. (The schematic was verified and a working pcb layout has been online for years).
I'll build the FA-1 after christmas.

If you're interested in more boosters, have a look at my gallery at musikding.de, there's a layout for an improved version of the MXR CAE MC-401, a pedal that The Edge might have used during the NLOTH recordings (or the MC-402, which is a 401 followed by a (bad) overdrive).

Das Musikding - Galerie - Home > User galleries > roseblood11

MC-401:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/23524/mr_442_booster_-_final.gif
There's one error: C7 should be 100µF, not 10µF !

the fa-1? Doesn't mean that the layout isn't correct... But I'll have a look at it again I think, if you need help with debugging, you should use the thread at diystompboxes.com

Ok, please post pictures that show both sides of the board and the wiring. And measure all voltages at all pins of IC and transistor (referring to gnd).

Back
Top Bottom