VOX AC30 Speakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
I have an AC30CC with the stock Warfdale speakers. I'm thinking of getting new speakers, and I know the Alnico Blues are supposed to be the speakers for AC30s. I could get two of them, but I've also thought about mixing speakers. For example, some AC30s have Greenbacks in them (not sure which kind model exactly). Edge has one Alnico Blue and one Alnico Silver (I think. Can someone confirm?). Live he mics the speaker on the left (facing the amp), but I'm sure in the studio he mics both for interesting sounds.

Should I one Blue and something else? Anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Notice that the Vox amps with Greenbacks are cheaper. There is a reason. The Greenbacks don't sound as good.

In the Edge's main AC30, he had a blue and silver combination for years; including during much of this tour.

But after seeing some pictures from this leg of the tour, the silver has been replaced by another blue.

So ideally, (2) Celestion Blues.

A cheaper price alternative that will sound better than the Greenbacks?

Weber Blue Dog. Alnico not the Ceramic.
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Do you have any pics you could post? I looked for some but couldn't find any.

Notice that the Vox amps with Greenbacks are cheaper. There is a reason. The Greenbacks don't sound as good.

In the Edge's main AC30, he had a blue and silver combination for years; including during much of this tour.

But after seeing some pictures from this leg of the tour, the silver has been replaced by another blue.

So ideally, (2) Celestion Blues.

A cheaper price alternative that will sound better than the Greenbacks?

Weber Blue Dog. Alnico not the Ceramic.
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

The UK Greenbacks sound ridiculously better than the Wharfdales. In my opinion, the UK Greenbacks sound much better than the Chinese Celestion Blues (that come standard in the CC2X and in the Heritage series). Recently with the HW series, they corrected a coning component apparently that makes the newer Chinese Celestion Blues sound closer to the original UK Blues.

The best are the few left that are made in the UK, but they're a pretty penny. UK Blues, Golds, and G12H30s are all stunning. I've got a Matchless augmented G12H30 in my Avalon 30 that sounds heavenly.

I do, however, second your mention of Ted Weber Speakers. I had a cab that paired an AlNiCo Silver Bell and an AlNiCo Blue Dog for awhile that sounded beautiful but I parted with it when I upgraded to a Matchless.

Back
Top Bottom