Vocal Cut in Cool Edit Pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceBoy

War Child
Has anyone here tried putting different U2 songs into Cool Edit Pro and doing the Vocal Cut option in Channel Mixer? You can get some really interesting results. Sometimes it completely removes or hightens certain elements from the mix. If you have a program that can convert CD tracks in WAV files try some of these in Cool Edit with Vocal Cut.

Walk On (Album version) - Mutes Bono's vocals and hightens/lowers other things in the mix

In A Little While - Pretty much mutes everything except guitar

Mysterious Ways - Hard to describe...worth it just to hear the drums in the beginning.

Race Against Time - I know alot of you out there probably don't have the original CD version of this, but if you do, try it. It completely removes the bass from the track.

Mofo - Again, difficult to describe. Lowers Bono's vocal and really brings out some of the more suttle stuff in the mix.

These are just a few. If you have the recources I encourage you to experiment with of other tracks as well, it's worth it.

SWlondnr said:
I just downloaded that the other day, it's quite complicated and most u2 stuff is protected so you can't break it apart or convert to wav

Well, I've been converting stuff from U2 cd's into WAV files for some time now...

I just tried a few tracks in Audacity.

To mute vocals in Audacity do this:

1.Split a stereo track into 2 parts
2.Select Right channel and use effect "Invert" on the track
3.Make both channels "Mono"
4.Select option "quick mix"
5. Listen!

Hope this helps!

Edit: Maybe we should make a list of what happens to a U2 track when you do this?
Like different categories such as:
Mutes Vocal (99%?)100%
Just drums
No bass
etc

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited:
is there any way with cool edit or audacity that you can cut the vocals and gutiar, so that you just have a backing track (just adam and larry)?

You need the masters to do that, with CE you can as it's been said heighten certain elements as they'll be working at the same frequency so they'll step up to the front of the mix.

But you won't be able to remove Bono's vocal out of the mix without pulling across certain elements that are working at the frequency his voice is working at.

Ok I've started to do a list:
U2 vocal cuts using Audacity

1.At least 99% mutes Bonos vocal
Walk on
Elevation
Grace
the first time (innovative mix)
The hand that built America

2.Bonos vocal is still being heard (low)
I Still Haven't Found
One
Bad
Mothers of the disappeared
Wake up dead Man
The Sweetest Thing (Single Mix)
Stay faraway so close
Gone (New Mix)
Staring at the Sun

3. Mutes whole track
Beautiful day

4.Only drums