U2 Tributes / And props to Mick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
As I work for Chas (The Joshua Tree - in Los Angeles, CA) as his tech, some might think I might be biased in my views on tributes; or that I simply think that Joshua Tree is the best.

Joshua Tree are amazing. But I never see it as 'best' or 'competition. There are some other tribute bands out there. Elevation (Canada) and The Unforgettable Fire come immediately to mind.

One such guy that does an amazing job is Mick from The Unforgettable Fire. If you have not seen them - what are you waiting for! Amazing band.

So sure he can play like Edge. Dial in tones like The Edge but he's also made some clips of some other interesting approaches to U2 songs...

Check out these...

"All I Want Is You" on electric mandolin? Yepper.
YouTube - U2 All I want is you cover mando

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" too? Sure...
YouTube - U2 SBS cover

"New Years Day" piano on iPad? Certainly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRehssGyxRU

"Pride..." on ukelele... true story...
YouTube - U2 Pride Ukulele

Long story short. Stand up guy. Great talent. And fantastic U2 tribute.

Wow thanks for the kind words. Hats off to you and JT and all the other tributes out there We all have the same passion and all are a bunch of copycats :) fun doing it though i must say :)

Mick

Good one E.O., I've been a fan and follower of Mick on YouTube for quite some time now...as well as going out to see UF a few times.

:up: for mick

Again, no slight to other tributes. I have not seen all of them. And I am sure there are others that are fantastic.

But I have seen Mick's videos and heard his clip. Top notch playing. And that goes for all in his band.

Elevation (Canada), I've seen play and they are another band that has it down solid. Brady came out and sang with Joshua Tree for the OC Fair show and was amazing. He certainly knows how to work a crowd. And Kevin is a great guitar player.

And obviously a bit biased, my working with Joshua Tree but each member has some serious skills, passion for the music and lend great energy to getting the details of the look and tunes spot on.

Mick is the best ! Nobody better

Matt from beautiful day ( used to be with U2 Nation) also great ..second best imo

Mick is the best ! Nobody better

Matt from beautiful day ( used to be with U2 Nation) also great ..second best imo

Mick is a great musician. I've not heard Matt. Links to some clips? Would be cool to hear another Edge and see/hear them play. One can learn lots from watching others play.

But the idea of 'best'? I think Mick himself might say there is no 'best'. Really, it's all about having fun, getting out to play and share the tunes with other fans that love the music as much as we do.

Mick is a great musician. I've not heard Matt. Links to some clips? Would be cool to hear another Edge and see/hear them play. One can learn lots from watching others play.

But the idea of 'best'? I think Mick himself might say there is no 'best'. Really, it's all about having fun, getting out to play and share the tunes with other fans that love the music as much as we do.

Well the best at matching edge's sound and style.
Sorry I have no link to Matt's playing.

Well the best at matching edge's sound and style.
Sorry I have no link to Matt's playing.

As the original post states - it isn't about best. Just pointed out those that I've heard that are very good at the tribute gig.

Matt might be too. I don't discount that. Just wondering if there are YouTube clips of the like.

But I still would rank or state one is 1st, 2nd, or whatever. It's not a competition. And anyone in a tribute that thinks that is doing it for all the wrong reasons.

It's cover tunes...you play cause you love U2's music and make some extra cash.

Long story short. Stand up guy. Great talent. And fantastic U2 tribute.

Totally agree. Mick is an amazing talent but what I'm more impressed with is his character. He is a great guy I'm happy to call a friend.

It's sad that there are some guys out there in the U2 Tribute world that will bad mouth other bands. I have seen it happen a few times from guys who will be nice to your face and say crap behind your back. Its pretty stupid because the truth of what was said almost always gets found out.

Anyhow...much respect to Mick and the UF guys for being friends to the guys in JT!

Totally agree. Mick is an amazing talent but what I'm more impressed with is his character. He is a great guy I'm happy to call a friend.

It's sad that there are some guys out there in the U2 Tribute world that will bad mouth other bands. I have seen it happen a few times from guys who will be nice to your face and say crap behind your back. Its pretty stupid because the truth of what was said almost always gets found out.

Anyhow...much respect to Mick and the UF guys for being friends to the guys in JT!

What he said. :up:

Like I first said. It's about playing/sharing the songs and having fun. Some miss that point.

Ya'll need to check out Zoo2 from Southern California. Saw them at the Del Mar Fair... Fricken awesome U2 Tribute band...

Back
Top Bottom