u2 sounds???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpdred

Babyface
I am a huge u2 fan and love the sound the edge achieves only i am somewhat of a beginner guitar player and wanted to know how to achieve the sound. I recently purchased a line 6 spider 4 and saw there was one preset but am not really happy with the sound. I am debating on buying an m13 pedal because i have heard that there are limitless possiblities. any suggestions would be much appreciated??

I don't have an M13 but it does seem to be becoming the new standard for creating Edge tones. Just do a youtube search for "u2 line 6 m13" and let your ears guide you.

Not so sure about your budget but yep, Line 6's M13 is definitely the perfect unit for the price. If you have a ton of money and want to get right about on the dot, Fractal Audio's AXE FX is available. But that's a bit pricey so still the M13 is probably best. Plus you can run 4 different effects at the same time. I want a VOX AC15 for Christmas and really, really hope I get an M13 alongside it, if it get either. Oh and while I'm on that topic, a VOX amp wouldn't be a bad decision either. Now I know you said you have an amp but I'd just like to throw that out there. What guitar(s) are you using? If you play early U2 all you basically need is a delay and some type of OD/Distortion.

Looking at individual pedals, I have a EHX #1 Echo and that thing is extremely close to the earliest U2 sounds. I just need the VOX! Considering that Edge used a EHX Memory Man it doesn't surprise me. Also another pedal that is important to that "U2 sound" is a Ibanez TS9. Edge has used that for quite a while (can't remember the era he began using it. POP?) and it's a must have for Edge players. Of course the M13 does a good job of mimicking the TS9. Another good one is the Line 6 Verbzilla (reverb) and Line 6 DM4 (distortion modeler). Of course those are also modeled in the M13.

I'd still reccomend the M13 but if you are looking at individual pedals those are some ideas. Not the best ideas but they'll get you started. I wish I had all that gear!:drool: Best of luck to ya man!:wave:

Oh and some links to the gear mentioned above.

AC15
M13
DM4
#1 Echo
TS9

thanks for the info it looks like i know what im asking for the xmas!:D

if you dont want to spend the money on the m13, line 6 have just released the m9 which is basically the same as the m13 but with half the footswitches.

if you dont want to spend the money on the m13, line 6 have just released the m9 which is basically the same as the m13 but with half the footswitches.

There are a few more differences. Can't rememeber them all. The M9 is okay and all. But the M13 will probably serve you better.

M9 = $379.99 to $399.99
M13 = $499.99

But that said, it is worth the extra $100-ish to get the M13

yeah definetly worth the little bit extra cash to get the m13. m9 would be cool cause its more compact and would actually fit on my pedalboard :p

is the m13 user friendly as well i have seen vids and it seems to have endless possibities with setup would this be difficult for someone who is a novice? and one more question i said earlier i had a line 6 amp but am debating on getting a vox instead and plus it doesnt seem to make much sense to have an amp with effects on it when i actually wanted a pedal with effects that you can do more with

Yeah I'm sure the M13 would be easy to figure out. I haven't messed with one but from what I can tell it seems like it's one of the easiest multi effects units out there. If it's at all possible see if you can try one out. If you do you can be 100% sure whether it's what you want or not. I for one think it's the best option in terms of multi effects units.

i have had the m13 for about 2hrs now and am amazed at how many things are possible. It's definitely alittle confusing as far as how many different things there are but i think it is still worth the money.

no expression pedal and i also found out to update it you have to purchase a midi cord to plug into computer but plan to purchase that off ebay:)

The m13 allows me to pretty much create just about any effects that you can imagine and i just purchased a vox ac15 amp and just wondering if anyone knows of where about the settings should be on the amp since the pedal is pretty much doing most of the sound?

Back
Top Bottom