U2 Signature gear. What do you own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As in gear that Edge uses or gear that has his signature?

In the case of the latter nothing, in the case of the former I've got a Korg A3, a Korg SDD-3000, the Axe-FX and several boss pedals, like the SD-1, OD-2, CS-2, CS-3, PW-2 and NS-2. From Line6 the M9 and DL-4. From Electro-Harmonix the POG2 and clones of many, many Big Muffs. From Digitech I have the WH-1 Whammy.

The Korgs sound awesome, but they're showing their age and I wouldn't gig with them. At least not regularly. If you have to chose between perfect sound and reliable sound all the time I'd pick the latter as I hate having my gear crap out on me on stage. Best to keep these gems in a nice clean rack in a home studio, where nowadays they belong.

People like to pick on Boss pedals, methinks partly to justify their own choice for overpriced boutique gear. But they get the job done, they are reliable, built like a tank and in the case of the older pre-SMD pedals very easy to mod into even better sounds. I'd call them the AK-47's of pedals. I have no complaints in regards to the ones I have and whenever I have some spare money (which alas isn't that often) and I come across a good deal for a vintage Boss pedal I get it, just for collecting purposes. I don't use them much though, as Boss pedals have one huge disadvantage in my opinion, side mounted jacks. Side mounted jacks make for bad pedal board ergonomics. I prefer top mounted jacks as they make for better placement.

Line6 makes awesome stuff in my opinion. Maybe it sounds digital to some but I like their approach to things. I think the Axe-FX has superior sound quality compared to my Line6 stuff, but my Line6 stuff has more extreme sounds.

What can I say about the Axe-FX that hasn't been said already. This digital behemoth will be the heart of my new rig.

The POG2 is just pure magic. It tracks perfectly, none of that glitchy stuff, it can make your guitar sound like an organ and it has presets. I do like EHX for their innovation. If Boss pedals are the AK-47's of the pedal world, extremely durable and reliable, then EHX pedals are like those mad scientists with their weird designs that came out of Nazi Germany during the war, futuristic, ahead of their time. And they were the ones that gave us the Big Muff. Sometimes it seems half of all fuzzes that are out there are either Big Muff clones, or modified Big Muffs. Every guitarist should have a Big Muff. And there are plenty of flavors for everyone. The bitch is in finding the one that is right for you.

I have several versions of the Whammy, my first was the XP-100 whammy/wah. Interesting but not that reliable, as I had to reset it from time time. I got two WH-4's, including one of the chromed anniversary model. I also have two WH-1's. While I can notice that there is some difference between the 1 and the 4, I wouldn't drop the extra money on one just because of that, as I find the 4 to be perfectly fine in its own right. I only got the 2nd WH-1 because it doesn't warble when you turn the preset knob, whereas the WH-4 does. And I use that feature in one of my songs so I felt I had to have it. I also have a Whammy DT, which you can use to change the tuned pitch of your guitar from regular to droptuned to low straight out of the fiery depths from Hell. Great if you have lots of songs in different tunings, like U2, although you can still hear its a pitch shifted guitar and not a retuned guitar. I wouldn't do a full gig with it, but for one or two songs it saves retuning your guitar between songs or having to bring an extra guitar along.

I generally don't like signature gear; but I don't know, i might change my mind someday. possibly I might buy Musicman Axis, which used to be EVH signature.

Did anyone buy one of these?

Gretsch G6136I Bono Irish Falcon

09120313281129f.jpg

That Gretsch is pretty. I've found for myself Gretsches are just for looking at. Of course, I've only played the hollowbody ones, but the necks make me feel like I was holding the thick end of a baseball bat.

Back
Top Bottom