U2 guitar tones with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 10:47 AM
U2 guitar tones with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal

Just been into Rudy's Music shop in NYC, and got a Boss DS-1, the little orange distortion pedal for 50 bucks. I was actually visiting them to see did they have the SD-1, the yellow Overdrive one that Edge has, but they did not have it. So instead, I got the DS-1.

Are there any U2songs/tones that could be played using the DS-1

The Edge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge15 View Post
Just been into Rudy's Music shop in NYC, and got a Boss DS-1, the little orange distortion pedal for 50 bucks. I was actually visiting them to see did they have the SD-1, the yellow Overdrive one that Edge has, but they did not have it. So instead, I got the DS-1.

Are there any U2songs/tones that could be played using the DS-1

One of the first pedals I ever bought! Still got mine, I sometimes use it for the chorus in beautiful day. Think it works well. You might get somewhere using it with the fly from what people have said too.Not sure of other songs but some of the other guys on here will chip in as they've more knowledge than me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

budgetedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Decent cheap distortion.

I have not heard or seen clips of it used for U2 songs, effectively.

That isn't so say it can't be done. I am sure one could. It wouldn't take some dialing in and experimentation.

Has Edge used one? Not that I recall every hearing, seeing or reading.

Best thing to do is make a video clip, even if it's a snippet of an intro, verse and chorus. Upload to YouTube and share the link. show your amp, guitar and effects settings. Then those that watch/hear the clip have something to go by.

In that, folks can make recommendations based upon where you've started.

Keep in mind it isn't as simple as "i have this piece of gear, what is the setting". I've seen that a lot with those with Axe FX units - where they have asked Tribute Edge's for their settings and then complained that they didn't sound as good as that Tribute Edge or The Edge himself.

There are varying factors in tone. What guitar are you using. What pickups. What volume and tone settings on the guitar. Same questions for the amp.

If you have a squire with weak pickups and a crate amp, and then set an OD Edge uses to HIS exact settings... that isn't going to make you sound like the Edge.

A lot of tone comes from your own hands! David Gilmour can verify this. Acoustic or electric - Gilmour sounds like Gilmour and has great tone.

I always recommend guitarists spend some time with just their guitar plugged straight into the amp. That does NOT lie. As that starts to sound better and you color with effects, you will notice the difference.

Just a few thoughts.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
I always recommend guitarists spend some time with just their guitar plugged straight into the amp. That does NOT lie. As that starts to sound better and you color with effects, you will notice the difference.

Just a few thoughts.
I've been doing this a lot more lately with my band. Of course, it's not ideal, but I still sound like myself on guitar. Over the last few weeks, I've been just playing using my trusty Diamond Compressor and a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET in Standard/Vintage mode for leads. Of course part of this has to do with my parting of ways with Strymon and waiting for the replacements to show up as well as having a pedal at the manufacturer for repairs! Ha ha! But yes, I suggest frequent playing with next to no effects. It'll make you want to play better because nothing gets covered in delay/reverb/fuzz/modulation.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I've been doing this a lot more lately with my band. Of course, it's not ideal, but I still sound like myself on guitar. Over the last few weeks, I've been just playing using my trusty Diamond Compressor and a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET in Standard/Vintage mode for leads. Of course part of this has to do with my parting of ways with Strymon and waiting for the replacements to show up as well as having a pedal at the manufacturer for repairs! Ha ha! But yes, I suggest frequent playing with next to no effects. It'll make you want to play better because nothing gets covered in delay/reverb/fuzz/modulation.
See tourist - we have common ground we can agree on.

And you are right. Spending time with just guitar and amp is beneficial.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
See tourist - we have common ground we can agree on.

And you are right. Spending time with just guitar and amp is beneficial.

Ha ha I've noticed you two ( again no pun intended) seems to argue a bit. Agree that sometimes a guitar straight into an amp is key, you get a certain 'feel' of each guitar and appreciate what it does.

Well worth bringing up tourist and edge orchestra

Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetedge View Post
Ha ha I've noticed you two ( again no pun intended) seems to argue a bit. Agree that sometimes a guitar straight into an amp is key, you get a certain 'feel' of each guitar and appreciate what it does.

Well worth bringing up tourist and edge orchestra

Tourist and I don't always agree. But I respect him all the same.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
War Child

You could give 'The edge' eric johnson rig to play thru and guess what is still sounds like 'edge' its all in the hands:-)
BB Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
War Child

I agree its also good to plug straight into your amp and try different chords n riffs out etc
its also good to get the best out of the gear you have but!
Musicians 'especially! Guitarists want new toys to mess around with lol but sumtimes less is more and just concentrate on the playing.

Sorry ive drifted of the subject but to my knowledge edge
Has never used the DS-1 but im sure its still usable.i have
Lots of non edge gear and its how you set it up use it etc
BB Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
The Fly

I'm posting a cover of the fly with my strat. Check it out when pos the link. I use the boss distortion in this chain. Sounds good I think, but let everyone else decide!

http://m.soundcloud.com/budgetedge
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #11
The Fly

My Fly cover is up. I used DS-1 in chain to add a better tone. It defiantly helped me achieve a much better sound

Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 05:47 AM
I loved DS-1, except it seems to cut some mid-range whenever I set the tone of the pedal trebly. SO grad that you seem to get good sound out of it
MackTheCasbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackTheCasbah View Post
I loved DS-1, except it seems to cut some mid-range whenever I set the tone of the pedal trebly. SO grad that you seem to get good sound out of it

Yeah the pedal is very one dimensional but it was only £30.00 new way back when I was about 16.

It's always handy to have an extra distortion pedal around, and I can't really fault Boss and the quality and build of their gear.