U2 concert in 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no way Edge won't have a tour rack with numerous effects. I am sure the Axe FX will be on tour and it will replace numerous sounds, but you can be sure the Edge will never get rid of the ones which are irreplacable: SDD's, A3, Whammy, TC and some of his pedals where he digs the sound.

Of course it can "replace" it, the Axe can replace everything!

But there is no way you can get the warmth of an SDD preamp, the woosh effect of the A3 for Mysterious Ways or the nice crunch a WH-1 has with any device, good as they may be!

The rack in the picture is definitely something he is testing and playing around with, but there is no way the Edge will tour w/ 2 Axe + 1 SDD and a TC9/Synthwah.

Of course it can "replace" it, the Axe can replace everything!

But there is no way you can get the warmth of an SDD preamp, the woosh effect of the A3 for Mysterious Ways or the nice crunch a WH-1 has with any device, good as they may be!

The rack in the picture is definitely something he is testing and playing around with, but there is no way the Edge will tour w/ 2 Axe + 1 SDD and a TC9/Synthwah.

But he's got the SDD preamp in there already, and if they're not going to play MW on the next tour he doesn't need to include an A3 in his rig and as for the WH-1, its a matter of taste really. Plenty of big names are perfectly happy to use the other whammy models. I have both the original and the re-issues and while I think the original does sound better, not by so much that it warrants spending the extra ca$h on. The one thing it truly shines in though is changing presets. Turn the preset knob in the 4 while you play and it will momentarily warble, turn the knob in the 1 and you get flawless preset changes. Tom Morello could never have recorded Voice of the Voiceless with a re-issue.

You know, by anyone else's standard that new rig would have been an impressive touring rig, one any of us can only dream about, but because it's the Edge's it feels.... puny?

You know, by anyone else's standard that new rig would have been an impressive touring rig, one any of us can only dream about, but because it's the Edge's it feels.... puny?

I guess. :)

On the other hand what I like about Edge is that he is interested in newer technology and doesn't stick to his status quo - that makes it interesting for him as well I guess (and MUCH easier for Dallas on the coming tour! ;) ).

I guess. :)

On the other hand what I like about Edge is that he is interested in newer technology and doesn't stick to his status quo - that makes it interesting for him as well I guess (and MUCH easier for Dallas on the coming tour! ;) ).

Yes... I know , but if that song is one of the most important of the band...

Ok guys you have to remember something, Edge is very much into his sound, and I know he knows that Bono loves to pull songs out of the air to play on tour, i can't see them not playing MW the whole tour. I also don't see edge not having all his original gear with him. They are coming out with a new album soon and remember they have to play promo gigs, first being the late night show they are playing next month, i know I'm not as smart with this as the rest of you, but my guess is this is his promo gear. cause to me, If i was Edge no way in hell i would stop traveling with my original rack. You never know what they might want to play on the next tour so to not have certain effects on there would make no sense, and Dallas has said that edge loves changing his effects and delay units himself sometimes, Now that they are going to back in arenas, he can get back to doing that. I'm just sayin i can't see him not bringing it with him, i think its his promo rig like all the the promo tours.

From CAE told me that the fractal rack. Picture above i think is not deffinitely for the edge. Maybe is another rack. I remember that in the video of dallas with popmart Rig appeared a mini rack i think was edge's Maybe now happen the same...

Ok guys you have to remember something, Edge is very much into his sound, and I know he knows that Bono loves to pull songs out of the air to play on tour, i can't see them not playing MW the whole tour. I also don't see edge not having all his original gear with him. They are coming out with a new album soon and remember they have to play promo gigs, first being the late night show they are playing next month, i know I'm not as smart with this as the rest of you, but my guess is this is his promo gear. cause to me, If i was Edge no way in hell i would stop traveling with my original rack. You never know what they might want to play on the next tour so to not have certain effects on there would make no sense, and Dallas has said that edge loves changing his effects and delay units himself sometimes, Now that they are going to back in arenas, he can get back to doing that. I'm just sayin i can't see him not bringing it with him, i think its his promo rig like all the the promo tours.

I don't think anyone here doubted that this is his promo rig? It is quite clear that he is using this for a few sounds and songs only, for the Haiti concert he also only used a black strat. :)

Of course Edge will have his effects with him, and in no way is he going to replace his A3 or SDD, but the Axe FX will for sure play its part in his new rig - and I'm sure not a small one.

Furthermore:
1. as much as they play new songs on tours, in no way are the spontaneous. Bono won't pull a song out of nowhere from time to time - U2 has never been that kind of band, and we're not only talking about the problems it would cause for Edge and his equipment. But were U2 to be that sort of band, actually the Axe is EXACTLY what a guitar player like Edge would want, he could store tons of presets there if set up nicely (and that's Dallas' job).

Edge and Dallas had a guy from Fractal Audio out in Dublin for weeks. I am sure there were saying we have THIS / Now let's replicate that in the AXE.

The AXE can replicate 99% of Edge's tones. I don't see him giving up the SDD3K delay. He loves the tone of that and the Axe doesn't replicate that warmth.

As for the Korg A3 - I could see him possibly giving that up. Time will tell.

Dallas was quite keen on the Axe when I told him about it back in June 2010. He asked me to forward some information on the AXE and the speaker sims that we (the tribute I worked with) were using. I got that info to him the next day. So I wasn't surprised that 6 mod later they war experimenting with them during sound checks.

If Edge is using the Axe for amp sims, particularly to the straight to FOH out, that with the speaker sims would give him a wealth of tone options. You can program it with a blue and silver, like Edge's main Vox had for years. You can also program the 'virtual' mic placement.

Will 1 or 2 Axe FX suffice for a tour? Almost. I think there will be some other gear but I could see the rack being a single vs. double wide rack. And I could see him dispensing with some things like the A3 and the Eventide.

Time will tell.

If Edge is using the Axe for amp sims, particularly to the straight to FOH out,

I want to make sure I get this straight as to what you mean here:

Are you saying that there's even a remote possibility that Edge will use amp sims, and go straight to the FOH, thereby eliminating his mic'd up Vox (or number of them)??

Let's get that clear first..

More than possible that he will use the amp sims. But not amp sims alone.

The Axe FX will probably deem the Line 6 Pod obsolete. So for the HiWatt and other amp sims, the Axe will likely take the Line 6's spot.

Also the isolated amps behind the amp stack. Instead of a few isolated amps in boxes, the Axe will likely take their place.

But to be clear, I am not saying that it would be the amp sims alone.

Just as Edge doesn't seem likely to part with his beloved SDD3000, I find it unlikely he'd part with having a Vox on stage.

More than possible that he will use the amp sims. But not amp sims alone.

The Axe FX will probably deem the Line 6 Pod obsolete. So for the HiWatt and other amp sims, the Axe will likely take the Line 6's spot.

Also the isolated amps behind the amp stack. Instead of a few isolated amps in boxes, the Axe will likely take their place.

But to be clear, I am not saying that it would be the amp sims alone.

Just as Edge doesn't seem likely to part with his beloved SDD3000, I find it unlikely he'd part with having a Vox on stage.

Ok perfect. Whew! I don't think anyone even would want him to! lol

We agree on the Line 6 then. That was my first guess, but you obviously know more about why he uses certain pieces and for what

Back
Top Bottom