Trying to Learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klyptem

Babyface
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to learn to play the guitar, and I want to start with U2 songs. Does anyone have good advise, or can help me learn to read tabs/where my fingers go. It would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Southern California/San Diego area, so if you are giving free lessons I would love to hook up and someone could teach me. If you do could you please e-mail me to Mmacaluso@soe.sony.com

Thanks all!
Mike

Hey man, e-mail me. I have some questions you could help me with. My e-mail is on the post. THanks. =)

Ohw....yeah...you can ask me to if you want....but, don't know if I'll have all the answers......
Getting started is tuff because you just don't know how you're gonna make those fingers twist and turn in the right direction

Desire is probably the easise song to start on. if you're fed up with chords, you can play Sunday Bloody Sunday. it's the first u2 song i learned

all I want is you is probably the easiest if you've got just an acoustic guitar.

Klyptem,

I'll throw out my .02 as someone who's fairly new to the guitar (2 years).

As far as gear goes, I'd start with just an acoustic, it's less expensive and has fewer add-ons and moving parts. Also, an electric will feel like a breeze to play once you get one. Which acoustic to get is mostly a matter of budget, those advertised as "solid top" acoustics are more expensive because don't use laminated wood (plywood) and therefore sound better (particularly as they age) because the top vibrates more freely when played. Make sure whoever you buy one from can set it up properly for a beginner, light gage strings & not too high off of the fretboard to make chords difficult or too low to create buzzing.

A good instructor can accelerate your progress dramatically but it's hard to evaluate one when your just starting out. For the price of a lesson or two, you can find a decent software program that can help you with some basics, tuning a guitar, open chords and some beginner songs. I started with the eMedia beginning guitar program and found it very usefull.

Lastly, U2 has a lot of songs that are great for beginners which will definetely help motivating you to practice. What you'll probably find as you get into it more that it raises your appreciation of all kinds of music.

Good luck, let us know how you progress or if you have any questons along the way.

ONE is also a nice one to start with.
It has a non difficult chord changing.
(especially the chorus)
And it's not to fast too...

Joy to all

Back
Top Bottom