Top boost/tube drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budgetedge

The Fly
Hi,

Whats the difference between a top boost and a tube drive.

I heard people speak about both with U2 songs, I thought they were basically the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Top Boost is a channel of a Vox AC30, and would imply to me that it is natural (loud) amp overdrive. Tube Drive, if talking about as a sound, would also indicate driving the tubes of an amplifier on a particular channel. Then there is the difference between driving preamp tubes (12AX7, EF86, etc.) and poweramp tubes (EL84, EL34, 6V6, 6L6, KT##, etc).

However, there are pedals that simulate this if that's what you're talking about. I think Wampler has an Ace Thirty and Menatone has Top Boost In A Can, which are meant to take a neutral, clean amp and make it sound sorta like the Top Boost channel on an AC30. If you're talking about a pedal with regard to tube drive, there are various (usually expensive) overdrive pedals that actually have preamp tubes in them. Kingsley is one brand I'm fairly familiar with that does this.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Top Boost is a channel of a Vox AC30, and would imply to me that it is natural (loud) amp overdrive. Tube Drive, if talking about as a sound, would also indicate driving the tubes of an amplifier on a particular channel. Then there is the difference between driving preamp tubes (12AX7, EF86, etc.) and poweramp tubes (EL84, EL34, 6V6, 6L6, KT##, etc).

However, there are pedals that simulate this if that's what you're talking about. I think Wampler has an Ace Thirty and Menatone has Top Boost In A Can, which are meant to take a neutral, clean amp and make it sound sorta like the Top Boost channel on an AC30. If you're talking about a pedal with regard to tube drive, there are various (usually expensive) overdrive pedals that actually have preamp tubes in them. Kingsley is one brand I'm fairly familiar with that does this.

'Ace Thirty' is now called '30 Something' due to a threat of a law suit from Vox.

Back
Top Bottom