Too Much is NOT enough. How many Strykers does Adam have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Curious-er still...

So there is
  • ...the newer Stryker with one split p'up and 2 knobs.
  • There are pics of the 2 p'up Stryker with 3 knobs.
  • There are pics of the 2 p'up Stryker with 4 knobs.
What about this one!

Stryker-2_blk_chkn-hd_knobs.jpg

2 p'ups, with 4 knobs BUT the two middle ones look like black chicken head knobs.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Curious and curious-er still!

4 knobs:
5a9c381a.jpg

3 knobs - but this one looks like the a knob was removed... maybe Adam kept it set and it was in his way?:
00029a03.jpg

2 knobs / 1 split pickup version. Latest aquisition:
Stryker-200x-1splitpickup-natura-1.jpg

It doesn't look like that fourth knob, which seems to have been removed, would have been in his way. That fourth knob is pretty far down below the G string. But still, you're right, it does seem to be missing. :huh:

As for the chicken heads, maybe they were installed by Adam (that is, Stuart) because it's easier to read the setting with chicken head knobs than it is with round knobs? Pure speculation on my part as I have absolutely no experience with Warwick basses, but it seems plausible.

Lastly, I get the impression that if Adam has indeed agreed to a signature Warwick bass, they are flooding him with everything they have to see what he likes. That they are both working out what an Adam Clayton signature bass will be, so they have him trying everything they have.

Lastly, I get the impression that if Adam has indeed agreed to a signature Warwick bass, they are flooding him with everything they have to see what he likes. That they are both working out what an Adam Clayton signature bass will be, so they have him trying everything they have.

*PleasebeaStrykerpleasebeaStrykerpleasebeaStryker!!!*:pray:

I'm with you except I can't imagine that it would be anywhere NEAR affordable for the likes of us.

Fact is, it takes money to make something nice. And to make it affordable would be doing it on the cheap.

Warwick is in Germany. Far as I know, they don't ship out any of their manufacturing to places that might be able to do it cheaper

(Thought that could be a nightmare, quality-wise, if they did).

Bad an inverted Stryker like Adam's... a good reason to smile each day - for sure.

*PleasebeaStrykerpleasebeaStrykerpleasebeaStryker!!!*:pray:

Well if it's a Stryker I'd be willing to save up for it. That thing is BADASS. :rockon:

And if they're manufactured in Germany, I could always just hop over for a visit and pick it up myself. Saves shipping costs. :D

Well if it's a Stryker I'd be willing to save up for it. That thing is BADASS. :rockon:

And if they're manufactured in Germany, I could always just hop over for a visit and pick it up myself. Saves shipping costs. :D

Shipping costs that you'd burn spending on the flight there and perhaps any import tax for bringing the bass back to the U.S.? :D

At least you'd get a trip to Germany. You could buy your Stryker, then visit Hansa Studio and play your Stryker in the main room where U2 worked on Achtung Baby... That'd be fun!

Shipping costs that you'd burn spending on the flight there and perhaps any import tax for bringing the bass back to the U.S.? :D

At least you'd get a trip to Germany. You could buy your Stryker, then visit Hansa Studio and play your Stryker in the main room where U2 worked on Achtung Baby... That'd be fun!

Uh, I don't live in the US. I can basically cycle to Germany if I wanted. :lol:

Oh I do want to go to Hansa some day, I've never actually been to Berlin before.

As you are cycling over to Hansa to get a reverse Stryker, bring me one back? :D:applaud::wave::lol::hyper:

It's possible, but a wee bit far, I think I'll take the train. :wink:

I so hope the inverse Stryker will be Adam's signature bass. It's certainly one of the coolest basses he's ever played and it fits with Edge's Explorer!

Bit more STRYKER information per Warwick:

"Adam asked for the reversed body. And it is not just a reverse body, it is modified slightly.

The one with Chicken head pegs is full passive, with bass and treble pots and capacitor switch. The pickups are custom wired by Seymour Duncan.

The other one is with normal 3 Way EQ, the first we made for him :)"

Amster12.jpg

Updated Styker stuff....

Here are the four 'specimens' of reverse Strykers that I've found pictures.

Could it be he has four (or more)? (I am awaiting some more information and confirmation from the good folks at Warwick.)

Could the one with chickenhead knobs originally had the (4) gold knobs? So many questions - so little time... :hyper::hyper::hyper:

# 1 with (2) mirror pickups / (4) gold control knobs:
5a9c381a.jpg

# 2 with (2) passive mirror pickups / (2) gold control knobs & (2) black chickenhead knobs:

# 3 with (2) mirror pickups / (3) gold control knobs in succession near the bridge, and a 4th knob (master volume?) near the neck:
00029a03.jpg

# 4 with (2) passive mirror pickups / (2) gold control knobs:

This appears to be the newest, first used November 5th, 2009 in Berlin:
Stryker-200x-1splitpickup-natura-1.jpg

Active and passive pickups

Active and passive pickups

Pickups can be either active or passive. Pickups, apart from optical types, are inherently passive transducers. So-called active pickups incorporate electronic circuitry to modify the signal. Passive pickups are usually wire wound around a magnet. They can generate electric potential without need for external power, though their output is low, and the harmonic content of output depends greatly on the winding.

Passive pickups are very convenient as they require no power source to operate. They are the most popular and widely used pickup type on electric guitars, and their frequency response curve is unique to the type and manufacturer.

EMG 81 and EMG 85 — pair of popular active pickupsActive pickups require an electrical source of energy (usually one or two 9V batteries) to operate and include an electronic preamp, active filters, active EQ and other sound-shaping features. They can sometimes give much higher possible output. They also are less affected in tone by varying lengths of amplifier lead, and amplifier input characteristics. Magnetic pickups used with 'active' circuitry usually feature a lower inductance (and initially lower output) winding that tends to give a flatter frequency response curve.

The disadvantages of active pickups are the power source (usually either a battery or phantom power), cost, and less defined unique tonal signature. They are more popular on bass guitars, because of their solid tone; most high-end bass guitars feature an active pickup. Most piezoelectric and all optical pickups are active and include some sort of preamp.

The main advantages of active pickups are that they can be louder than a similar grade passive pickup. They also allow more "headroom" and dynamic range. Active pickups produce less noise and hum compared to their passive counterparts - an advantage in itself, but also eliminating the need for a string ground (a wire connecting the strings on most electric guitars to ground somewhere in the circuit, essentially using the player's body as an electronic shield)- active pickups remove the potential shock hazard which would have been created by the string ground.

Adam doesn't like active pickups. Probably nothing more than he's used to the tone one gets with passive pickups.

If memory serves me - the white Fender Deluxe Jazz, that he auctioned off at the Icons of Music, has active pickups. He didn't use that bass much and didn't seem to upset parting with it.

If you noticed in the U2 clip of Adam and the Warwick Buzzard... Adam mentions in the Buzzard is a bit loud during that clip. That could partly be due to using his usual settings but the signale being 'hotter' (louder) due to the 'active pickups'.

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/buzzard.swf

The Warwick Buzzard having Active MEC split-coil pickups with Active MEC 2-band EQ.

What exactly does 'passive' pickups mean? I'm not familiar with the term.

I never knew that! Thanks for the info. :D

I still hope we'll see the Buzzard on stage some day. That bass is just too awesome not to show off.

I never knew that! Thanks for the info. :D

I still hope we'll see the Buzzard on stage some day. That bass is just too awesome not to show off.

Does anyone remember what song the buzzard was played on in the clip? I've forgotten and the video isn't working for me. Also, one of us is going to have to update the wikipedia entry for Warwick to add Adam to the Notable Users section.

Does anyone remember what song the buzzard was played on in the clip? I've forgotten and the video isn't working for me. Also, one of us is going to have to update the wikipedia entry for Warwick to add Adam to the Notable Users section.

The song in the "Buzzard" clip is "...Crazy...".

Buzzard clip can be seen at:
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/buzzard.swf

or

YouTube - U2 - Adam Clayton - The Buzzard - I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

Wikipedia? Problem solved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_(bass_guitar)#Notable_players_and_their_signature_models

Back
Top Bottom