To guitar players here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
OK I've been meaning to ask this a musician - to settle it once and for all - you know how people (U2 bashers to be exact) often say "oh Edge would be nothing without his effects"... is it true?

*edit* while I'm asking...which is your favorite U2 album, regarding Edge's guitar playing?

Completely untrue. The bashers are on his case because he is the "anti-guitar hero". His affects don't make or break the guitarists, he has to make up the riffs, chord progressions, etc... It's just it wouldn't sound as good without the effects, that's all. Every guitarist uses effects. Edge is just better at it :)

the effects just add to his genius

he is creative, creativity is good

in a little while is a song where its all edge and no(or little)effects.
i love to play that song(i play a different version, i do alot of pulloffs in it) edge is also good with a acoustic guitar and so is bono(staring at the sun live edge is doing all the strumming and bono is doing the cool picking)
fave edge(u2album) october,AB,JT.
edge does use a shit load of effects listen to pop.

"oh Edge would be nothing without his effects" ???

Hm.. Don't think so...
Most guitarists use some kind of effects right?
Edge can do "extra-ordinary" stuff without effects!
An example of this is the "Stay" version from the Elevation Tour!That's really Edge-power!
"The Unforgettable Fire" and "The Joshua tree" albums didn't have much effects except for a little delay and a little distortion,
still these albums sold many copies, at least "The Joshua tree" did.
"Streets" is a great song although not many effects was used, and it's arsekicking live....

cool effects do not maketh the player

or something :p

For instance, Morello uses a lot of effects but he's still a great guitar player. Same goes for Edge :yes:
Effects just add to the sound of what's already there. They don't make it.

what everyone else said.

favourite album for guitar playing....that's a tough one because the reason i like u2 so much is because of the guitar playing. sure everything else from the lyrics to adam's bass lines to larry's drumming, everything is good. but the main reason i listen to them is because of the edge's guitar playing.

wait a second...how then is zooropa one of my favourite albums ever?

hmm. probably AB if i think about it.

Yeah. There was a thread about this a while back.

If you ask most "high ranking" guitar virtuosos, most tend to agree that his creativity shines through any masking effects. From Joe Perry, to Slash, to any post-80s guitarist... even Kirk Hammett (which is quite weird).

Don't buy into that misconception.

The Edge could play well without effects...but he uses that delay pedal a-lot

My favorite "Edge" albums are Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum

Hallo!

I completely agree with you that Edges is the best guitarist ever! I love his special sound. It is very interesting and sometimes it's a real challenge to play the songs myself.

By the way, I am desperately trying to find out how to play Edge's intro on "One". Though I have the chords I'm not quite sure how to play this intro. I would be very happy if anyone could send me the tabs for it or at least tell me some tips and tricks how to play it? That would be a great help! Thanks alot!

Jennifer

jenniferse said:
By the way, I am desperately trying to find out how to play Edge's intro on "One". Though I have the chords I'm not quite sure how to play this intro. I would be very happy if anyone could send me the tabs for it or at least tell me some tips and tricks how to play it? That would be a great help! Thanks alot!

Jennifer
'

Oh man, a chick who plays guitar...

thats hott :yes:

I think Edge is a fantastic player in the way he can make great music without all these complex tunes. His way of guitar playing really does make him stand out from the rest!

So does his sound, if you could chat with loads of 'educated/well informed' guitar players and suddenly bring up the Edge, I couldn't really be certain. But due to Edge's established style, I think you could expect to hear stuff along the lines of...

Oh yeah, The Edge...the one who uses Lots of Delay and has that chimey sound to his guitar?

Can't really think of any more. But the point I'm getting at is, sure he is a fantastic player, but he owes part of it to his effects. If you can play his stuff spot on and just tried it out on an electric guitar that goes straight to amp, without any Effects Pedals, and the Amp on pretty standard settings, I have a feeling it would sound rather plain...

I would like to think Edge has some pretty cool new sounds on U2's upcoming album as well as maybe staying with his established sound, but if I hadn't heard U2's new Single when it had been leaked on the net/previewed on the radio and suddenly heard it, and Edge was using his familiar sound, if you hadn't heard any Bono's Vocals yet, you'd probably know it was him on U2's new single pretty much straight away. So in a way, Edge's Sounds are a huge part of his playing...but I think he's fine without them. Their 'accousticy' set they play halfway through each show, for example....

I type way too much, sorry. I just have a lot to say, and don't think I could get my point across very simply.

Last edited:
Little effects on "Streets"?!?!?
(There is an Electro Harmonix Memory Man ALL over it...)
Im very suprised that no one has yet mentioned his use of the original VOX AC30. (His chioice Amp) What truly makes that "Edge sound" are his tones...not his FX.
(THE PEOPLE THAT SAY HE IS NOTHING BUT EFFECTS, ONLY PLAY THROUGH MARSHAL STACKS, AND CHEAP-O METAL PEDALS!!)

Back
Top Bottom