Time for all musicians to brag about their setups!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
When you can't brag about how good you can play, at least brag about what you play!

I'll list what instrument I play followed info on brand, year, color and specs and the estimated grand total of $$$ spent on my setup!
eek.gif
And to top it off, lets all list some of our biggest influences on how we play our instruments.

I play Drums.

My first drumset was an 'Expo'. It was the basic 5 piece setup with 4 cymbals and a dull blue color. I bought it for $400, and spent another $250 in stands and cymbals.
Total $650.

This is what I play now. (OHH YEAH!)
ViewPhoto

(This was the day I first got it, it was still missing 2 pieces, my 10" tom and my 18" floor tom.)

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, 2000 model.
Color: Silver Sparkle (Hey, quit laughing! It's manly!)

Specs:
Drums
(All drums Yamaha)
14" x 6.5" Snare Drum
22" x 16" Bassdrum
14" x 12" Tom-tom
10" x 9" Tom-tom
12" x 10" Tom-tom
16" x 14" Tom-tom
18" x 16" Floor tom
Estimated cost:$2526

Cymbals
(All cymbals Sabian)
10" Hand Hammered Splash
14" AA Regular Hi-Hats
16" AAX Stage Crash
18" AA Medium-thin Crash (Best crash I have EVER heard!)
21" Signature Series 'Ed Shaughnessy' Ride
22" AA Chinese
Est:$771

Stands
I have a mixture of Yamaha, DW and Pearl stands. I use a range of medium and heavy boom stands, a straight stand and triple tom stands that also supports 2 cymbals. Oh, and a DW snare stand.
Est:$345

Hardware
(Drumworks)
I use a double bass pedal, a DW 5002 Delta II Accelerator. I also use a DW 5500TD Hi-hat with a DW drop clutch. I use a Roc'-n-Soc' drum throne with a back rest and a gas powered lift.
Est:$666

Misc
I prefer to use Ludwig 5B or Vic Firth 5B hickory drumsticks. Evans heads are good, but so are Remo's. And Moon Gel is the best damper on the market, it is what I use.
Est:Who knows!

First set cost:$650
Current Set cost: About $4308
Estimated total I have spend on drums and gear!: $4958!
eek.gif

And it has been worth every penny!

Influences
I grew up with rock but I have come to live Jazz music and Jazz drumming over the past few years. I love it and am determind to learn how to play jazz music because of the beauty and challenge of it. My favorite drummers are:
1)Jimmy Chamberlin (The Smashing Pumpkins)
2)Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith)
3)Elvin Jones (Miles Davis, John Coltrane)
4)Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
5)Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
(Larry is also big influence on my playing but he is not the kind of drummer that I can study like the ones above.)

------------------
"The Critics are dead."
-Rock 'N' Roll

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 07-11-2001).]

please tell me you live in NYC and want to jam.

my gear:
Fender '93 strat
Fender '69 Custom Shop Strat
Fender '52 American Vintage Tele
Peavey '99 Wolfgang
EB/MM '92 EVH signature guitar
Ibanez '89 RG750
Ovation Acoustic Celebrity

Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 stack
Line6 AX2 212

various effects rack units/pedals

Roland Guitar Synth

Computer Digi Workstation with tons of software.

------------------
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

I want to jam, but I live in Arkansas.

Who are your big influences?

And are you the 'VanEdge' over at the Vanhalen board?

------------------
"The Critics are dead."
-Rock 'N' Roll

yep, that's me!

i like to draw influences from everywhere, but the main ones are VH, U2, The Beatles, Zep, & Floyd.

I fixed the link in my first post, it works now.

------------------
"The Critics are dead."
-Rock 'N' Roll

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 12-21-2000).]

I play a Gibson Firebird hooked up to a Marshall VS 265R (3 channels, seperate clean and OD reverb, and built in chorus) w/VS212 cabinet. I run through a Dan Electro Fab Tone, DOD FX96 Analog Echo pedal, & a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. I'm pretty pleased with the range of sounds I can get, but I wish I had a VOX AC30 Top Boost amp & an American Standard Fender Telecaster, but soon enough I will.

Guitars - Epiphone les paul rip-off, 1976 Fender Strat hard tail,
Amp - Vox Pathfinder(no need for big amp as I mostly do home recording)
Effects - Digitech 2101, Ibanez DM1100 Digital Delay, Boss DD3, Digitech XP100 (whammy), Crybaby Wah, DOD fuzz.

------------------
"On the other hand... you have different fingers." - anon

Just a Gibson folk, I have! I'm currently scouting for an affordable, good electric guit. (anybody wanna show me some good ol Christmas cheer and buy me one?) Sighhhh...
smile.gif

foray

Hey wanderer can I join your band? I play an Ibanez Sr300DX and use a peavy basic 112.

I forgot to ask, who is in a band? Tell us about what you play and how it is going etc. I am not in a band, never have been. But now that I am in college I am becoming more interested in forming a band. One of these days I'll be famous. *Dreams out Loud.*

Check this out, I was looking through the classified section on Drumweb and saw this, it is a laugh.

Originally On Drumweb.Net classified section:
no talent drummer who can't play is looking for a no talent lame unimaginative band(or musicians). has 2 drum sets (1 in utah and 1 in cali) have been playing for about 3.5 years. can't play a little bass and guitar. have a buttload of lyrics (they all suck) influences are very broad (but they also all suck) have written a few songs (but they suck, too)also can't play hand drums. inquiries, only
God
Mailto: Bricekelsch@hotmail.com
Ogden, Utah, confusion nope, the city - 10/12/00

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 01-24-2001).]

My set up is pretty sorry, but I've only played for a year and a half, and I'm still a student. I plan on buying some nice stuff once I graduate after this semester and get a job!

Guitars: Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul, Yamaha FG-402 Acoustic

Amp: Fender Blues Jr.

Effect: Danelectro Fab Tone distortion (I hate this distortion pedal!)

Wierd, about half of the posts in this thread just disappeared.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Creed "The bestest band, er..make that most important band ever...even including Def Leppard, yeah."

AIM: JuanSwallow

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
I forgot to ask, who is in a band?

I was in a band until 2 weeks ago. Played bass (natch). It was cool while it lasted and we even played two gigs. Don?t know what happened, but somehow people seemed not be interested in the band any more.

But I?m trying to get a new band together. Anyone out here who needs a bass player???

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 12-19-2001).]

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Check this out, I was looking through the classified section on Drumweb and saw this, it is a laugh.

c?mon Johnny, I bet you posted this yourself
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It?s pretty cool, though

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

What do you call someone that hangs out with musicians?
A bass player.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Creed "The bestest band, er..make that most important band ever...even including Def Leppard, yeah."

AIM: JuanSwallow

outch, that hurt!!!

How can you tell when a drummer's at the door?

He doesn't know when to come in

------------------

Ok, I'll get another standard one out of the way:

What do you call a bass player that broke up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

you asked for it
smile.gif

How can you tell when the drum riser is level?
Drool comes out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

------------------

Heh heh, truce. Since the rhythm section is so underappreciated anyway, lets spend our energy making fun of cocky guitarists and ego filled frontmen.

Agreed. Let?s pick on others
biggrin.gif

An explorer was travelling through the wilds of deepest, darkest Africa with a few native porters and guides. Far off in the distance, he hears drums pounding. Well, the explorer is naturally concerned, so he consults his guides. They reassure him, "There is nothing to worry about. When the drums stop, it's time to worry." This didn't make him feel much better, but he kept going. Gradually the drums got louder and he asked his guide again. "When the drums stop, it's time to worry" was the response he got again. Eventually the drums got so loud, the explorer would have sworn that they were right next to him. Then all of a sudden, they stopped. With a trembling voice, he asked his guide what would happen now. With an equally trembling voice, the guide answered, "guitar solo".

------------------

there?s a mum calling in and she asks Larry to tell her son the he has to practise his drums every day. But of cause Larry tells the boy that he never practised
biggrin.gif

Anyway, they both play a paradiddle,but the boy actually plays a nicer one....

you can listen to it here: http://www.u2takemehigher.com/music/songs.html

it?s in one of the Chris Evan downloads

------------------

I just listened to that radio show clip, that's hilarious. That's the only time Larry's played a rudiment in 20 years I bet.
Thanks for telling me about that.

Back
Top Bottom