Thought this was pretty cool.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Muse, while officially being a 3 man band, can tour with Morgan Nichols next to the drums on stage U2 can and should bring out Terry as well. And anyone else too for that matter.

I've wondered about this. We know that Edge lays loops live and has the prerecorded sequences and that Dallas does his pedals, but I've also wondered if he or somebody plays a Terry function on guitars. I don't think it's terribly clear that Billy Joel saw people playing live guitars, though. We know they have at least two guitar techs just for Edge and and they must always have instruments in their hands. Did he see them playing along or prepping for the upcoming songs?

Not totally sure about the language,so you can correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen them call the prerecorded tracks "sequences" which I find a little confusing. As I understand those are the ones that are always played, like the rhythms you hear at the beginning of Bad. Then there are the ones you throw down live and loop on an 8 or 16 count or whatever, and is there a special name for those?

When you've got Edge starting a song with an opening riff and then moving into a different tone to solo or add another layer, (like in The Fly or ABOY) my guess has been that it makes better sense for him to live-record the foundational sound and cue it to repeat on a loop rather than playing a part live for half a song and then starting a prerecorded track to continue it. But maybe not. What do you think?

Not totally sure about the language, so you can correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen them call the prerecorded tracks that are obvious and well known like in Bad "sequences" which I find a little confusing. Then there are the ones you throw down live and loop on an 8 or 16 count or whatever, and is there a special name for those?

When you've got Edge starting a song with an opening riff and then moving into a different tone to solo or add another layer, (like in The Fly or ABOY) my guess has been that it makes better sense for him to live-record the foundational sound on a loop and cue it to repeat rather than starting a prerecorded track halfway through the song. But maybe not. What do you think?

Bad is a midi sequence (or, by now, possibly just a straight audio track with a click), and it would be triggered/operated by Terry. See also WOWY, One, Even Better, One Tree, UF, you name it. That's all Terry's job.

The Fly is a funny one. Which guitar part are you talking about, in the intro? I believe he uses a short loop or repeat of some sort there for a bit. But the rhythm in behind him during the rest of the song is in fact played by Bono.

ABOY is another funny one. I think there was either a pre recorded rhythm riff or someone else behind the curtain, not him laying down a loop and then playing over it. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure I see where there would be a chance in the course of the intro for him to do a whole bar of the riff to get it into the loopers memory. He plays the high part from the very start of the song, live. Not to mention that in the bridge and solo that dirty rhythm is still playing, but its completely different chords. When would he have laid that down live? But I haven't watched a live performance of it in quite a long time.

Now I have to go listen to a few live recordings of the fly before I can give a good reply. :grumpy: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom