Third guitar in One - never played live, always backing tracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Does anyone know what kind of guitar, and what kind of sound or effect is used for the background, always backing tracked guitar in "One"? Shows up for the first time at 0:58 on the album version, always present in the live versions as well but it's very clear if you watch both Bono and Edge's guitar playing that neither of them is playing this particular riff, which is essentially the same riff played over and over, with either a slide or a 2 semitone string bend.

Just wondering does anyone play this riff when playing the song live, and if so, how? And am I correct in thinking that neither Bono or Edge has in fact ever played this in a live show?

Here's an ad-hoc rendition of it using Garageband, appalling quality and non-quantised as it's 4AM and I put absolutely no effort in but should clearly identify which guitar part I speak of:

https://soundcloud.com/paddystems/one-background-guitar

Using Edi's One backing track as a guide if anyone was wondering. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what kind of guitar, and what kind of sound or effect is used for the background, always backing tracked guitar in "One"? Shows up for the first time at 0:58 on the album version, always present in the live versions as well but it's very clear if you watch both Bono and Edge's guitar playing that neither of them is playing this particular riff, which is essentially the same riff played over and over, with either a slide or a 2 semitone string bend.

Just wondering does anyone play this riff when playing the song live, and if so, how? And am I correct in thinking that neither Bono or Edge has in fact ever played this in a live show?

They have a guy in the basement doing keyboards and backing tracks, so methinks it's a backing track, as I also hear some heavy duty strings actions and you can't do both. And as far as I know neither Bono or Edge has ever played this riff life. Bono just plays straight forward chords, like most singers who pull some guitar playing duty, Edge plays around with the chords.

Just like Gone, where that pitchshifted riff also comes 'out of thin air'. Even though it's a much cooler riff to play if I were Edge then those straight forward chords that he does.

Personally I think they should bring Keyboard Guy out of the basement and give him a little corner on the stage, just like Muse does with Morgan Nichols. Or if they really want to stick to that 'it's just the four of us' thing, lose the extra orchestrations and backing tracks and do it more stripped down.

i seem to remember 'from the sky down' daniel lanois playing around with guitar on 'One'
and Eno possibly messing with the Yamaha DX7 could be a combination of both on that
part you mention ?

It was Lanois and yes this bit is always on a backing track for U2.

In the Tribute I play a combination of this and Edge's bit which sounds pretty IMO.

Back
Top Bottom